Playing maps created for M1?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
DeadYorick
Born on Board

Can one play maps created for Marathon 1 in Aleph One? I noticed there's a bunch on the Bungie archives

http://archives.bungie.org/search.html
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think the latest version of Aleph is able to run the original Marathon, so I'd think you could do it with custom map for M1 as well.
DeadYorick
Born on Board

philtron wrote:I think the latest version of Aleph is able to run the original Marathon, so I'd think you could do it with custom map for M1 as well.
Sure but the version there is M1A1 isn't it? Wouldn't there be compatibility problems?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I don't know the answer to this, as I'm not sure to what extent AlephOne is now compatible with the original marathon files, but it seems to me you could have just tried it by now and answered your own question. Let us know the results.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I believe the links at https://alephone.lhowon.org/games/marathon.html will now give you the original game files, not M1A1, encoded for your particular platform.

To play a 3rd party M1 scenario, first download the files for your platform above. Next, if you are on running A1 on Windows or Linux, you need to encode your scenario files with MacBinary. I don't know whether you need to do this on OS X or not. Then, place your encoded scenario files wherever you want Aleph One to find them. Start up Aleph One using the original files, and finally select your scenario in environment preferences.
DeadYorick
Born on Board

ravenshining wrote:To play a 3rd party M1 scenario, first download the files for your platform above. Next, if you are on running A1 on Windows or Linux, you need to encode your scenario files with MacBinary. I don't know whether you need to do this on OS X or not. Then, place your encoded scenario files wherever you want Aleph One to find them. Start up Aleph One using the original files, and finally select your scenario in environment preferences.
I've found opening the files is harder than I expected.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Can you be more specific? What are you trying to do with what files in what format on what platform?