Marathon Latino [Proyect to Translate Marathon Games]

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
exepa
Born on Board

Project dedicated to the translation of the Marathon saga, initiated by Bungie in 1994 with the appearance of the first game for Macintosh, namesake of the saga. As an ancestor of Halo, Marathon understands an expanded universe related to different titles taken by the study through history, that make up the Universe of the saga. Our goal is to translate to leave the immense history behind the games that make it up to the service of the Latin community.

At the same time, the Marathon community has worked to create its versions within the Marathon Universe, achieving quality products. For this reason, we will also take into account the translation of the different versions made by the community.

The titles to be translated are the following:

Marathon - Finished 27/27 Solo Levels - Translation revision, spell checking and translation are missing from all preference menus. Also the edition of the images of chapters and the epilogue. We are using the M1A1 version found at this address http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/ and getting the AlphOne version alone which is available at https://alephone.lhowon.org/[/ url]. Li ... 1-latino-3

Marathon 2: Durandal - Terminal Progress Completed and Complete Main Menu. - 27/27 Solo Levels. Translation revision, spell checking and translation are missing from all preference menus. Also the edition of the images of chapters and the epilogue.
Link to Map: https://simplici7y.com/items/marathon-2-latino-2

Marathon Infinity - Started

Marathon Rubicon X - Not Started

Marathon Red - Not Started

Marathon EVIL - Not Started

Marathon Tempus Irae - Not Started

Marathon Ethernal - Not Started

Marathon Phoenix - Not Started

Episodes

Siege of Nor'Korh - Not Started
Attachments
2017.08.30-20.19_01.png
2017.09.01-23.42.png
2017.09.01-23.45.png
Last edited by exepa on Mar 18th '20, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Question: how do you plan on handling Thoth's dialogue, and the weirder parts of Infinity? Both are written in this fragmented style that's difficult enough to understand in English (compounded by Infinity being very mind-screwy in general), and all I know about Spanish grammatical structure is that it's usually subject-verb-object.

(Also, word of advice wrt: Infinity: there's some grammatical goofs and spelling errors which might complicate things a bit)

As was mentioned before, there is an existing Spanish translation of M2 via its XBLA port, but I have no idea how accurate it is. Might be interesting to do a comparison between that script and yours, if you get a chance to extract the former.
welcome to the scene of the crash
exepa
Born on Board

Unfortunately, they are not going to be professional translations or high quality, but at least an approach for people who do not understand English.

About Thoth and the consoles of Marathon Infinity:

My idea is to decode the message in the terminal, understand the meaning (using Marathon Story as a support) and transcribe a similar feeling with the words and letters of the translation.

I know it will never be the same, but even if it's a similar feeling.

For now I am in The Citadel and the consoles S'pth are complicated by their poetic sense of the S'pth war and the definitions of words vary a lot, but it is understood when analyzing critically.

About the Spanish:

Yes, although the structure of the Ibero - American language is more complex than it seems, transcribing the subject - verb - object structure to another variant is valid, although not totally accepted by the general colloquy at all times.

About the Port of M2:

I do not know how to extract the information from the port, I'll look it up to see if I can emulate it on my PC, and if I can get something out of that games. Unfortunately, I do not have the technical skills to do it - for now (?) -, and it would be interesting to compare.

Many words that do not have a Spanish translation complicate and the comparison would help me follow the same line of translation.
exepa
Born on Board

The chapter "Garrison" has been successfully completed, which it can. There are several interesting things in this chapter. On the one hand, we see a Durandal trying to find something about the antiquity of the S'pth that can serve to battle the Phfor and slow down their conquests.

... Every day that passes, I am more surprised of this game ...

Joke! Jokes Everywhere! xD

#TERMINAL 1
#UNFINISHED
#LOGON 1600
Atc &33c.3ckl2
#PICT 1600
That's cool how you just walked through that door, but I still won't let you leave.
#END

This Durandal is all a loquillo :lol:
General-RADIX
Cyborg

The "I see you cheating there, cheater" terminals are kinda amusing. XD

(Rubicon has something similar; in that case it's aimed at people who read the terminals in an old third-party program, rather than in-game. Those don't come from Durandal, though)
exepa
Born on Board

Hosted Demo spanish map of Marathon Durandal in http://simplici7y.com/items/marathon-2-latino-2

Ver Log

0.1v Demo of Spanish Map for test

Cap 1 Lh’owon playable

Levels:

1. Waterloo Waterpark
2. The Slings & Arrows of Outrageous Fortune
3. Charon Doesn’t Make Change
Shocktart
Cyborg

So Marathon Latino isn't about shooting Pfhor dressed as cholos?
exepa
Born on Board

No ... It's only for Halo Latino. LOL

thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

I was wondering how long it would take before somebody posted that picture...
exepa
Born on Board

The Marathon translation project is reactivated. An estimated 90% translation of the second game "Marathon 2: Durandal" is estimated. The Maps file was programmed and made. Currently the first three chapters of the game are playable:

-Lh'owon
-Volunteers
-Garrison

Waiting for the translation passage to console texts to the Maps file.

In the following link is the game with the map translated in the first three chapters: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jNtc0c ... sp=sharing

In this link you will find only the Maps file translated the first three chapters: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xCp2bN ... sp=sharing
treellama
Vidmaster

Marathon: Durandal was already translated to French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese and Korean by the Microsoft localization team. So why start with Marathon 2?
exepa
Born on Board

I have not been able to extract the texts from Marathon M1A1 terminals, we are still investigating how to do it. On the other hand, the only version translated into Spanish usable on PC is that of Win95, which is also not easily available on the web and is not the same as the version for AlephOne. The Spanish-translated version by Microsoft does not work with any PC emulator and we have no way of obtaining the ROM terminals of the XBox version.
treellama
Vidmaster

I have the Xbox version, I can ask for permission to release them. That would let you focus on the untranslated games.
treellama
Vidmaster

For example, here is the first terminal:
Te he despertado de la estasis y te he teletransportado a un planeta en el que necesito que hagas unas cosas. Estás en Lh'owon, el planeta natal de los s'pht.
Spanish is one of the easier languages to make work with Aleph One, since all its characters fit in the ancient MacRoman character set.
exepa
Born on Board

treellama wrote:I have the Xbox version, I can ask for permission to release them. That would let you focus on the untranslated games.
WOOOOOOOOOW!

That sounds great. You would do us a huge favor. The text is almost all translated and we just need to dump the information and assemble the images of the chapters and final.

Although we could use an official translation to adjust concepts that we still have not clear when giving pronouns to the different actors in the story.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

exepa wrote:I have not been able to extract the texts from Marathon M1A1 terminals, we are still investigating how to do it.
The actual "M1A1" terminals should be extractable from the map file with Atque like any other Marathon 2/Infinity map file.

But I suspect you're trying to extract them from the genuine original Marathon 1 files, which are not "M1A1". In that case, you need to get the terminal texts out of the original Marathon application, where they are stored in the resource fork. You will either need an actual Mac capable of running Mac OS 7-9, or to emulate one of those with SheepShaver of Basilisk II, and then use ResEdit to explore the resource fork.
exepa
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:
exepa wrote:I have not been able to extract the texts from Marathon M1A1 terminals, we are still investigating how to do it.
The actual "M1A1" terminals should be extractable from the map file with Atque like any other Marathon 2/Infinity map file.

But I suspect you're trying to extract them from the genuine original Marathon 1 files, which are not "M1A1". In that case, you need to get the terminal texts out of the original Marathon application, where they are stored in the resource fork. You will either need an actual Mac capable of running Mac OS 7-9, or to emulate one of those with SheepShaver of Basilisk II, and then use ResEdit to explore the resource fork.
Yes, we are doing that. After talking to some people who were editing versions of M1 and M1A1, we found that the maps of M1A1 can be split and merged quietly. After finishing that translation, we will see how to adapt to M1 by modifying the resources in a Mac emulator.
exepa
Born on Board

The project advances. We have already translated all the terminals for Marathon 2: Durandal. We have also translated the graphic start menu. There is still a need to translate the images of the chapters and the epilogue, and also the preferences menus of the game.

exepa
Born on Board

Starts translation of Marathon M1A1 terminals. Leaving aside the Marathon version of https://alephone.lhowon.org/, we use the version that is on the Trilogy page, Marathon M1A1 versión for Alehpone http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/ for technical reasons, but the idea is to later migrate to the main use version in Lhowon.

Currently we have a Demo where the first four levels are translated.

exepa
Born on Board

Finished translating the terminals of M1A1. The images of chapters and epilogues are missing, but that must be seen more closely. Today we will start with the translation of Infinity. I must admit that Marathon 2 is simpler in terms of lexicon and culture than Marathon 1. I find very interesting and rich passages when contacting Durandal and I even managed to learn new things that I did not know about literature and history.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Glad to see that this project is still active! How goes the translation of Infinity thus far?
exepa
Born on Board

Horrible ... Hahaha ... It is impressive how the game went from a technical language to a colloquial one between the three installments. A lot of complexity in the texts.

In addition, we are on the subject of quarantine, work, school planning and study. So the translation is a bit paralyzed for now.

Thanks for interesting.
Born on Board

I know it's been a while, but I thought maybe to update this post in case anyone finds it useful. The first translation pass for all three games has been completed.
We even got to translate Marathon (Not M1A1)
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

[MUp]