Project Conflict

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Flowers
Cyborg

RadBurn wrote:Windbreaker's Sovereignty map pack added
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9oqtbcbjcqnu ... y.zip?dl=0
You're really going strong. If you're still editing map packs, I'd be glad to join in and help some more.
RadBurn
Cyborg

Flowers wrote:If you're still editing map packs, ...
My seasonal summer job is coming to a close and with that I'll be moving to the east coast in just a few days. I arranged my life so that this past month gave me ample free time without knowing what I would do with it besides get ready for the move. This project was something I wanted to do ever since I was a teenager and it feels good to get it done after all these years. I can't promise much commitment to the Marathon scene from this point forward. I do have more planned for this project but any updates or enhancements would be a ways out.
Flowers wrote:... I'd be glad to join in and help some more.
If you or anyone else converts more maps ( or adds more content ) I would upload it to my drop box and link the download to this thread's original post. Simplci7y just isn't working on my end for some reason but I am completely fine with anyone sharing any of this on Simplici7y as long as credit is given to the authors of the content included.
RadBurn
Cyborg

This small assembly of maps were intentionally created by Necolarus for his Trench Foot scenario. It is a similar mod that also brings in marines as combatants. I discovered it in the fileball archives. Modified to work with Project Conflict
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zcdlld6tsez6 ... t.zip?dl=0
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I can't bring myself to try this out if the collection of Suicide maps aren't updated to work with this.
RadBurn
Cyborg

Any suicide maps in particular? If I recall correctly there are a bunch of them and they aren't assembled in a pack.
treellama
Vidmaster

Pepper Popper is a must.
RadBurn
Cyborg

treellama wrote:Pepper Popper is a must.
I found all the Suicide maps on Lochball. Here is that page :
http://fileball.lochnits.com/authors/author63.html

However, after downloading them I was unable to convert them from my Win10 machine to Mac via HFVExplorer into Basilisk. The error I encountered was about a bad header. I tried other Suicide downloads but all had the same problem. This is the first time I've had problems converting .hqx files this way. Any advice?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Sorry, I was mostly just messing with you. It's absolutely not worth the effort.
RadBurn
Cyborg

Wrkncacnter wrote:Sorry, ... not worth the effort.
123.jpg
Flowers
Cyborg

A while back RadBurn mentioned he'd like to see Conflict be used with the survival game mode. At that the time, I wasn't sure I could help with that, but I noticed that there was a survival lua generator on Simplici7y. Link here-
http://simplici7y.com/items/survival-2-0
I used this generator and tinkered with the physics file for Conflict and I've been messing around with the two and I'm pretty happy with the results. I switched all the marine files around so they now replace BOBs and are friendly, and they will fight alongside you. While this in itself isn't anything *amazing*, I realized we could take this even further and create a scenario with this.

After 16 minutes, Super Pfhor will spawn. Upon killing a Super Pfhor, they will drop an uplink chip. You could then use this uplink chip to unlock a door on a map that would have a teleporter out. This would essentially be a survival scenario. You try to survive on one level, beat it, and then travel to a nexus of sorts where you can save, then travel to the next level, then travel back to the nexus to save and etcetera. Think sorta like "Kill Them All", except you'll travel to the nexus after every level and can only save at the nexus. Perhaps level one you try to survive for 10 minutes and then on level two you try to survive for 15 minutes and so on. Would anyone be interested in this? Has anything similar to this been done before?

I haven't created a map for it yet, but in this download folder you'll get the lua file and physics file and get a general feel for how it'd play out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp3903pdtkj0j ... o.zip?dl=0

Known issues-
1. There's a string for me that says something along the lines of "solo lua arithmetic has failed" but there's no actual issue. Not sure what this is because I'm a lua n00b, but hoping since it says that it's a solo lua thing that maybe when merged into a map file it'll go away. it's only an annoyance though, no gameplay issues as far as I can tell
2. Enemies tend to group up in the middle of the map away from wherever the player is at. This makes it really easy to camp in one spot in my experience. I think when I create maps for this project I'll need to make it so that all levels are vacuum levels and add oxygen powerups as random pickups to encourage map movement. Not sure at the moment.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I had some fun, but there seems to be some problem with BOBs spawning in with no sprites. I played for a while on Return to Waldo after I had accidentally shot enough of the invisible, impotent BOBs for them to start complaining, and then all effects (explosions, blood) stopped appearing, too, making for a rather surreal experience right up until I silently blew myself up by firing a rocket into an invisible BOB in front of me.

Oh yeah, also, if I die, it emits a series of beeps and quits to the title screen.
Flowers
Cyborg

ravenshining wrote:I had some fun, but there seems to be some problem with BOBs spawning in with no sprites. I played for a while on Return to Waldo after I had accidentally shot enough of the invisible, impotent BOBs for them to start complaining, and then all effects (explosions, blood) stopped appearing, too, making for a rather surreal experience right up until I silently blew myself up by firing a rocket into an invisible BOB in front of me.

Oh yeah, also, if I die, it emits a series of beeps and quits to the title screen.
I too encountered the "invisible bob" glitch today. It seems this glitch only happens on certain maps, as last I was playing on Beyond Thunderdome, Route 66 and that one other map that uses sewage textures with the underground basement (forgot the name) and everything worked fine. Then I tried to play it today on a custom map and the bobs were invisible. I'm not sure why this is. And I don't think there was a merged shape file in the map.

As for the beep boop sounds exiting you to the title screen, that's intended. It's a part of the default lua I modified.

EDIT: Been testing a few default maps. Return to Waldo, Thrud and House of Pain do not work but maps such as Beyond Thunderdome, Duality and reverof nohtaram work just fine. It's definitely a map-specific issue with the bobs appearing invisible. Not sure why this is though.
RadBurn
Cyborg

What great progress you've made. I'm sorry to hear it isn't without encountering bugs. I don't know when I'll have time again to play around with Marathon but I do check in here occasionally. I'm glad you're learning LUA now because of this.
Adminn_1
Cyborg

I've quite enjoyed this! It has a lot of replay value and is technically impressive too.

Recently I tried seeing if I could make a solo level in Weland using the Conflict enemies (though edited to only attack the player). In Conflict, fist marines have replaced energy ticks, pistol marines have replaced oxygen ticks, and assault rifle marines have replaced kamikaze ticks. Looking through Conflict shapes in Shapefusion, it looks like all the other marine types are classed as ticks somehow. Any recommended way to get those other types in a solo setting? It'd be interesting to know exactly how you made the physics for this.
Please donate to NEFX today. https://ko-fi.com/adminn1nefx
Flowers
Cyborg

Adminn_1 wrote:I've quite enjoyed this! It has a lot of replay value and is technically impressive too.

Recently I tried seeing if I could make a solo level in Weland using the Conflict enemies (though edited to only attack the player). In Conflict, fist marines have replaced energy ticks, pistol marines have replaced oxygen ticks, and assault rifle marines have replaced kamikaze ticks. Looking through Conflict shapes in Shapefusion, it looks like all the other marine types are classed as ticks somehow. Any recommended way to get those other types in a solo setting? It'd be interesting to know exactly how you made the physics for this.
I'm not sure I understand your confusion but I'll try to help. All the enemy marine sprites are in the tick shapes collection, but there's only three slots in the physics file for ticks, which are energy ticks, oxygen ticks and kamikaze ticks. Since there's more than three enemy marine types, these extra marines took the slots of lesser used enemies and replaced them. In the default Conflict physics file, the replaced enemies are-

Big Minor Drone >>> Fusion Pistol wielding marine
Big Angry Drone >>> Shotgun wielding marine
Possessed Drone >>> Flamethrower wielding marine
Minor Cyborg >>> Rocket Launcher wielding marine
Major cyborg >>> SMG wielding marine
Tiny Pfhor >>> Alien Weapon wielding marine
Tiny Yeti >>> MADD

Despite these marines going into all kinds of different slots, they are all tagged as 'ticks' under the behavior setting in ShapeFusion so they are an enemy class unto themselves. If you wanted to make solo maps with these enemy marines vs the player, just go into ShapeFusion and go to each marine slot and make each marine have 'tick' unchecked as an enemy class, this way they don't shoot each other. Hope I understood the problem
Adminn_1
Cyborg

You're right, that worked. Thank you!

Now I just have to find a way (probably through Lua) to disable friendly fire between them. I made it so they're all friends and only enemies with the player, but they still have a lot of accidents and turn against each other pretty quick. :3
Flowers
Cyborg

If I recall correctly, the 'berserker' tag in the behavior tab dictates whether an enemy turns on his ally after receiving friendly fire. I could be wrong there though, it's been a while since I've dug through a physics file.
The Man
Vidmaster

That's basically correct. One way to get a feel for how it works is to set a friendly activation sound for a berserker monster.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Adminn_1
Cyborg

Yeah, I figured that was why. I still want to disable friendly fire, though.
raptor200221
Born on Board

This project looks pretty fun. Does anyone know how to convert map packs for this game? I might be interested in adding a few maps if it is possible.
"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history"-Georg Hegel
||Legends of Marathon Net Maps|| ||Eternal Legends of Marathon Net Maps||
Adminn_1
Cyborg

RadBurn, thanks again for creating this. I just released a new small scenario that uses solo-friendly edited versions of the Conflict bots. You can get it here: http://simplici7y.com/items/marathon-sh ... -of-growth

Specifically, I used physics editing trickery in ShapeFusion to not only make them all allies, but also make them immune to friendly fire. I also disabled the berserker trait for them and reduced their vitality so that they're just a little tougher than the average BOBs, since together they can wipe out the player pretty quickly.
Flowers
Cyborg

Really hard, but also really interesting. I like the use of plain gray textures. I'm unsure if the choice to use them is stylistic or circumstantial, but I like the minimalist direction of the scenario with the drab color combined with the angular architecture. This scenario of yours definitely has a unique charm to it, especially in the sound department. I did notice two things worth pointing out

1. Vasara is included in the download and is enabled by default. This is a minor nitpick.
2. It seems as though the enemies use standard weapons as their shots, meaning their damage doesn't scale with difficulty. I'm unsure if this was intentional or not. I don't mind it personally, considering I'm playing on TC so it doesn't make a difference, but I figured it's worth mentioning in case it was an oversight.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing more of this in the future if there's plans to add onto it. Good stuff.
Adminn_1
Cyborg

Thank you. I will update the upload so that Vasara is not toggled. And yeah, I didn't really think about anyone playing it on anything except Total Carnage, ha ha.

If anything, it’s harder on lower difficulty because you can’t carry as much ammo.
RadBurn
Cyborg

I converted the map Pfhactory N'Utopia to work with this project. The original Pfhactory for M1 was one of my favorites that I tinkered with a lot learning about modding Marathon. I was happy to see an updated and standalone Infinity version and thought this may be just what I'd like to have included within this project.

I'm releasing this as an early test version and would like any feedback. If there are any noticeable bugs please let me know. I'm also asking for feedback on how well this map fits with this project. Please let me know what changes you'd like to see. This map still needs balancing with the spawning of the Marine enemies and possibly weapons/ammo/etc. I'm also entirely open to the idea of having there be alien enemies as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p92k5cih6nrzp ... t.zip?dl=0

Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

FYI to everyone interested in this project, I was able to use the shapes/physics from this and combine it with lua to streamline this whole process. With my version of stuff, you no longer need to specifically set up maps to make them work with bots in a single player game. Project Conflict is still useful, as my version of things won't work with maps with embedded physics, so you can try them both out.

I also modified the physics in my download to match closer to actual players.

Single Player Network Game.

Thanks to RadBurn for letting me reuse the shapes and physics for this.