Anyone got a copy of 1-10 twiddler?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I can't find a live link to the Twiddler anywhere. Does anyone have a copy stashed they can upload or send? Worse comes to worse I'll hex edit, but the tool'd be better.
treellama
Vidmaster

Is this still necessary? Doesn't ShapeFusion let you do this?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

It lets you do stuff, just don't try to save anything afterward.

Also, how is it you guys don't know how to use the search bar on fileball? This is the second time today. Come on guys.
http://fileball.whpress.com/content/two ... ities-v101
ravenshining
Vidmaster

treellama wrote:Is this still necessary? Doesn't ShapeFusion let you do this?
Windbreaker wrote:ShapeFusion lets you do stuff? :V
I'm sure ShapesFusion does, provided you can get it to compile, which is not something I've been able to figure out on my system.
Wrkncacnter wrote:It lets you do stuff, just don't try to save anything afterward.

Also, how is it you guys don't know how to use the search bar on fileball? This is the second time today. Come on guys.
http://fileball.whpress.com/content/two ... ities-v101
Ah, thank you! I did not know of this other fileball. Now, to twiddle my sequences!
treellama
Vidmaster

ravenshining wrote: I'm sure ShapesFusion does, provided you can get it to compile, which is not something I've been able to figure out on my system.
Compiles fine for me in Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10. Are you using the SVN version?
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I'm not sure where exactly I downloaded it from - and honestly I don't know what SVN even means. it's been a few months. I see I have both shapesfusion-0.5 and shapesfusion-0.6 folders in my sources directory, which are 6 months and 3 months old respectively.

I'm sure they're already configured, so let's see what happens if I make shapesfusion 0.6... it.. compiles? And it runs... but can't open anything. Ah yes, now I remember.

I had to go through and change a bunch of stuff to work with wxwidgets 3.0, but I couldn't figure out how to fix the file-type-detection bit. So I hacked it out, thinking "well maybe it'll work if I just open the right file anyway," and everything else compiled but without it's file-type-detection ability it can't open anything.

I'll re-download the source and see if I can find where I had that problem again. It seems there are two places to download - a nice convenient .tgz here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/shapef ... urce=files
and a collection of loose files without any mod dates here:
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/shapefusion/code/
I don't know whether that's the same or not or which I ought to be attempting to use... wait, there's this other tab on the SF site, "code..." and that has a similar look to that loose files thing, but there are dates and notes, dates are much newer than the download page and notes that sound applicable to my issues... So, I guess I have to manually download each file individually from that second link? No, there's a "download snapshot" button. I guess I'll try that?
ravenshining
Vidmaster

okay, I ran autogen.sh from that snapshot, and this happened

Code: Select all

./configure: line 4505: syntax error near unexpected token `noext'
./configure: line 4505: `AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11(noext)'
did some digging, found a post that said recent versions of AX_CXX_COMPILE_STCXX_11 do not accept arguments? so I changed that line in configure and configure.ac to AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11() and it configured fine. ran make, and after a while I get:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..   -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-3.0 -I/usr/include/wx-3.0 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DWXUSINGDLL -D__WXGTK__  -g -O2  -MT ShapesElements.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/ShapesElements.Tpo -c -o ShapesElements.o ShapesElements.cpp
ShapesElements.cpp: In member function ‘BigEndianBuffer& ShapesCollection::LoadPatch(BigEndianBuffer&)’:
ShapesElements.cpp:2083:2: error: ‘unique_ptr’ is not a member of ‘std’
  std::unique_ptr<ShapesChunk> temp;
  ^
ShapesElements.cpp:2083:29: error: expected primary-expression before ‘>’ token
                             ^
ShapesElements.cpp:2083:31: error: ‘temp’ was not declared in this scope
                               ^
Makefile:381: recipe for target 'ShapesElements.o' failed
make[2]: *** [ShapesElements.o] Error 1
more digging, and I found a post saying that -std=c++11 needs to be set in the makefile's CXXFLAGS? So I added that flag in the makefile, ran make, but it still gave the error. So, not knowing where to put it for make, I manually moved into the Shapes directory and pasted in the g++ command that failed, inserting the flag the flag like so:

raven@debian8710:~/source/shapefusion-code-198-trunk/Shapes$ g++ -std=c++11 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..   -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-3.0 -I/usr/include/wx-3.0 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DWXUSINGDLL -D__WXGTK__  -g -O2  -MT ShapesElements.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/ShapesElements.Tpo -c -o ShapesElements.o ShapesElements.cpp
That seemed to work, so I stepped back out of Shapes and ran make, which seemed to work, and now I've got a Shapesfusion that will not only run but open and read files.

Hopefully I didn't screw anything up, and if not, that this is helpful.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

It mostly seems to work, but alas, when I try to change the number of views it doesn't work! And the twiddler doesn't seem to run in Basillisk II, so it looks like I've got to set up a PPC emulator tomorrow.

Thank you for pointing me at SVN, treelama. Although it is not twiddling, I am now able to do other things needed for my project that Anvil was incapable of.
treellama
Vidmaster

To do an initial checkout,

svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/shapefusion/code/trunk shapefusion
Then you can always get the latest version with

svn update
You need autoconf-archive installed, that's what has AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11 and that's what picks up the C++11 flags in the compile when you run autoreconf.

As far as changing the number of views, if it doesn't work, file a bug. I'm pretty sure it does work in ShapeFusion though.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Would anyone fix bugs with Shapefusion currently? It won't even save a full shapes file correctly for me, I have to use save and apply shapes patches to get anything done. I think Windbreaker has the opposite problem. I didn't bother filing any bugs because I can't imagine anyone fixing them at this point.
treellama
Vidmaster

The only bug I'm aware of right now is it can't play back sounds in Linux. Saving shapes files and shapes patches both work fine, to the best of my knowledge.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I can literally load the default infinity shapes, save as without making any changes, and then when I try to load the new shapes file, it says it's corrupted. There was a more detailed error message that I can look up when I get home. Something to do with a name of something being too long or something like that.

I believe I had the same issue on both Linux and Windows. I know other people can do these steps just fine, but saving/loading shapes patches fails for them. I generally have pretty good luck with shapes patches. Maybe there's a very specific version of dependencies that are needed to be installed on the system to make it actually work correctly?
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Hm, I'm not having any problems saving here. I haven't tried messing with patches yet though.

I installed autoconf-archive and rebuilt shapesfusion from a clean unzip - no errors this time!

Now the twiddling function is working - yay no having to mess with qemu yet! - but I experienced a problem where I went to do something else, and then tried to twiddle, and it no longer would twiddle. I had to close and open ShapeFusion again before it would twiddle. Not a huge problem - I can do all I need to.
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:I can literally load the default infinity shapes, save as without making any changes, and then when I try to load the new shapes file, it says it's corrupted.
That sounds like it should be easy to reproduce/fix.
treellama
Vidmaster

ravenshining wrote:Now the twiddling function is working - yay no having to mess with qemu yet! - but I experienced a problem where I went to do something else, and then tried to twiddle, and it no longer would twiddle. I had to close and open ShapeFusion again before it would twiddle.
I really don't know what that means. Is this just changing the number of views?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Maybe for science, I'll try this on a fresh VM. Maybe I'm making an obvious mistake like installing the wrong version of wxwidgets or something. I have no idea why it's so different for me.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

treellama wrote:
ravenshining wrote:Now the twiddling function is working - yay no having to mess with qemu yet! - but I experienced a problem where I went to do something else, and then tried to twiddle, and it no longer would twiddle. I had to close and open ShapeFusion again before it would twiddle.
I really don't know what that means. Is this just changing the number of views?
Yes. Specifically, from one-animated to one-static, and vice versa. Anvil can't do it, so Loren Petrich made the Twiddler, and so I called it twiddling. Apologies for the obfuscation.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

OK, so how do you guys get wxwidgets on ubuntu 16.04, anyway? The repositories have version 3.0, and it doesn't seem like shapefusion compiles with that version.

I'm pretty sure I ended up finding 2.8.x and compiling/installing it myself last time, but that obviously didn't work out too well.

Edit: I just tried this on Windows, and it seems to be more in line with what other people experience. I can save/load full shapes files, but things don't work well when using shapes patch. For example:
* Load infinity shapes
* Make a couple random changes
* Export shapes patch
* Shut down shapefusion, start it back up
* Load infinity shapes
* Apply shapes patch
* Try to save a full shapes file, it will crash.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I'm on Debian 8, with wxwidgets 3.0. It looks like the latest code on the SVN supports wxidgets 3.0 while the sourceforge download tarball is six years old and uses wxidgets 2.8.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote: This is the second time today. Come on guys.
Wait a minute, second time? Where else is there Marathon discussion?
treellama
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:OK, so how do you guys get wxwidgets on ubuntu 16.04, anyway? The repositories have version 3.0, and it doesn't seem like shapefusion compiles with that version.
You need to get the latest from SVN. There's a potential bug fix in there for saving shapes files that maybe applies to patches, too? IDK.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

OK, I got this to work on Ubuntu using the latest svn, including my shapes patch steps above. I was missing a few wxwidgets packages (you can run 'wx-config --version' just fine, and still be missing stuff), and apparently SNDFILE is a dependency as well.

If anyone else is interested, this is the crap I ended up installing on Ubuntu 16.04:

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential subversion autoconf-archive wx3.0-i18n libwxbase3.0-dev wx-common libwxgtk3.0-dev libsndfile1-dev
Updated for 20.04:

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential subversion autoconf-archive wx3.0-i18n libwxbase3.0-dev wx-common libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev libsndfile1-dev
The latest release for windows/mac appears to have the shapes patch bug, as Windbreaker can reproduce the same issues I had on Windows.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on May 23rd '20, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

I just did your steps and it didn't crash. What are the random changes?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I don't know, I typically just copy and paste a bitmap to overwrite a few other bitmaps:
Shapefusion.png
Saving that as a patch, applying the patch, and trying to save a full shapes file results in this error if I run it from the command line:
GenericEndianBuffer: attempted to position beyond buffer limits (544/543)
Segmentation fault

I've attached the exact shapes patch I'm using.
Attachments
Shapes Patch.zip
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 320 times