Project Damathon

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Flippant Sol
Born on Board

I'm going to reorganize the shapes file from Damage Incorporated so that Aleph One will at the very least run it if it has a .shpA extension. This is the exact opposite of MaraDamage, hence the name Damathon.
Flippant Sol
Born on Board

Wrkncacnter wrote:OK.
Are you understanding the amount of reorganizing that will need to take place? The damned fools didn't even understand what a CLUT is; from the looks of it, they made a new collection for every color palette, and then went back and made CLUTs but left the collections in.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Flippant Sol wrote: Are you understanding the amount of reorganizing that will need to take place?
No. I understand that you intend to do something, but it sounds like you haven't really started yet. I'm not sure what you want us to say. Good luck, I guess?

Here's hoping it falls under the 0.5% of projects that get completed.
Flippant Sol
Born on Board

So, I dicked around in Shapefusion for an hour or so, and I realized that it would be extremely difficult to do a 1:1 texture conversion since they both have a different number of textures, frames, and sequences. For now, I'm staying away from any monsters, because I have to make considerations on what get's translated, and what doesn't. I've already figured out that Damage Incorporated has less weapons, but a huge variety of human combatants, so no replacing of flying monsters and such. It's stuff like this that will keep me occupied. Right now, I am planning on making a Weapons pack sometime in the coming weeks. I'm trying to make everything work within Infinity's transfer mode periods, so that the gameplay isn't altered. I'll also be making an xBR of this weapons pack. If anyone wants to take a crack at the Damage Incorporated shapes file themselves, I have it right here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12OTBXD ... sp=sharing
Until then, I'm thinking about whether or not I want to interpolate the weapon animations to pad out the transfer periods, or if I want to make custom frames.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

That *is* a lot of work. I know from translating the M1A1 shapes to M1R, it takes forever!
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey Sol, you actually just have to insert the two bitmaps of the motion sensor into the Damage Inc shapes file in order to make it work with AlephOne. It expects those bitmaps to be there with their specific dimensions otherwise it quits, no matter what you do.
The rest is all MML and custom physics...but dont get your hopes up.

I have done this to some extent a whole while ago, you can check it in this thread.
The trickier part is to make the levels work, it's a real hassle.

The killer bump in the road is:

Damage Inc works with either 128, 256 or 512 shape collections, Aleph just with 32, it cannot access any of the rest due to file format restrictions. It sounds like a small thing but to make it work Aleph would need fundamental changes in the file specifications for physics, map files, savegames, films and everything else you can imagine.

There was some promising effort with Asylum's Damage Inc reversing but sadly it didn't take off eventually. I also haven't posted the modified data files due to copyright concerns. At the time It would required to upload the whole damage Inc shapes file because of the motion sensor issue.
It was before you were able to distribute a map bundled with a small internal texture patch, though. But I am out of the loop with this feauture.

Flippant Sol
Born on Board

Bobwithkeycard wrote:Hey Sol, you actually just have to insert the two bitmaps of the motion sensor into the Damage Inc shapes file in order to make it work with AlephOne. It expects those bitmaps to be there with their specific dimensions otherwise it quits, no matter what you do.
The rest is all MML and custom physics...but dont get your hopes up.

I have done this to some extent a whole while ago, you can check it in this thread.
The trickier part is to make the levels work, it's a real hassle.

The killer bump in the road is:

Damage Inc works with either 128, 256 or 512 shape collections, Aleph just with 32, it cannot access any of the rest due to file format restrictions. It sounds like a small thing but to make it work Aleph would need fundamental changes in the file specifications for physics, map files, savegames, films and everything else you can imagine.

There was some promising effort with Asylum's Damage Inc reversing but sadly it didn't take off eventually. I also haven't posted the modified data files due to copyright concerns. At the time It would required to upload the whole damage Inc shapes file because of the motion sensor issue.
It was before you were able to distribute a map bundled with a small internal texture patch, though. But I am out of the loop with this feauture.

It's great to see that there is still interest in the idea. Like I said, right now, I'm thinking about trying to take everything from Damage Incorporated and slice it into million bits. While Damage Incorporated does have a lot of collections, there are some duplicate collections that could just be shrunk down. I dunno.
Flippant Sol
Born on Board

Okay, I am FURIOUS right now. Call me a doofus, but I had the entire weapons in hand collection re-sequenced and reorganized, it would have ran beautifully, but the stupid that is me did all of it in the 8-bit version folder instead of the true color version, and now all of the weapons in hand are gone, and because I deleted all of the sequences and bitmaps from the true color folder, Shapefusion doesn't want to open my file anymore. I will now attempt to go open it in anvil and see if I can fix it.
Flippant Sol
Born on Board

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GujZqe ... sp=sharing

I have remapped all of the weapon bitmaps to the corresponding Minf bitmaps, All of the sequences were transferred, not to Damage Incorporated's animations, but to fit Minf's sequence transfer periods. I'm noticing some origin issues with the RL, the AR reload, The SMG reload, and any more, I will try and fix. I don't want to put anything on Simplici7y until we have wih fixed, hud icons, and items.