Why no one plays this online?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
dandywise
Spazeroid

I'm waiting for days but no one came, only a guy some minutes ago that could not join to my server and vice versa :(
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

You can see when the games happen on this site. March has been pretty dead, but Jan and Feb were relatively active. It fluctuates though, so you can't really count on games any particular night.

As far as WHY it's so dead... it's a mac game from 1995.
dandywise
Spazeroid

yeh :(
TrajansRow
Born on Board

Part of the reason it’s hard to gather online games is because other people need to be waiting around in the lobby. I’ve seen some games coordinated on the Marathon Discord. I wonder if it would help to use the Discord REST API to permit the metaserver to send push notifications about new games to interested players?
dandywise
Spazeroid

It would be great, i'm on every night btw
Flowers
Cyborg

TrajansRow wrote:Part of the reason it’s hard to gather online games is because other people need to be waiting around in the lobby. I’ve seen some games coordinated on the Marathon Discord.
Are all multiplayer lobbies coordinated on Discord? Sometimes when I'm snooping late at night I'll see lobbies with people sitting around waiting, but I wouldn't want to intrude and force myself into a lobby that was already setup beforehand.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

No, I'd say almost nothing is coordinated on discord. Occasionally someone will say "There are games going on right now" on discord, but pretty much everyone there ignores it. At best, you may gain one extra player. The people on discord that actually play the game online are the same people that are already in the lobby anyway.

There are a couple people that will only host for their local friends, but other than that, you shouldn't worry about joining any game.

The REST API idea is a good one. You could send messages to a channel that people can ignore if they want. For now, I'd think most people would ignore it, but that could always change.