Comprehensive Guide to Content Creation - Thoughts?

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Comprehensive Guide to Content Creation - Thoughts?

Post May 9th '18, 18:31

Figured I would make a separate thread for this.

Bit of pretext, I am currently in the later stages of finishing up my total conversion which has been my pet project for the past year but a goal of mine for many more. I know it seems silly to not have posted any progress here before but I didn't want to be one of those guys who announces a new scenario and has nothing to show for it. Once I am in the stages of being able to get feedback, I will be posting here along with pictures of everything so far.

During this project I have been entirely on my own creating the weapons, textures, sprites, maps, etc which understandably considering this is my first project, it's not going to be of caliber to the many other great scenarios. However over the process I have learned a great deal through trial and error as well as through looking at the guts of other projects out there to weasel my way around creating all this content. I understand there are map making threads galore on here but there are many things that are not explained or covered and I would like to compile what I can to create a comprehensive content creation guide for new comers.

My idea is to make something fairly simply to follow detailing what you need for creating the shapes and such. It won't necessarily be a master's class because I am not qualified for that in any capacity but I hope it will help some people who seem to float in here with big ideas but nothing to show for it.

Broken down I want to cover these key elements in no order just yet:

1. Mapping Basics (Lights, Media, Differential Shading), Weland, Dos and Donts
2. Texture creation, Sprite creation, sequences, frames, color tables, etc.
3. Sound and Music implementations
4. Terminal editing, Tags, Merging
5. Physics overview, shots, effects, etc
6. Scenario planning form, knowing what's possible and what isn't
7. **Maybe get some better help on the LUA/MML stuff since I am a chud at it**

If this is something that might be interesting to you let me know and maybe we can collaborate to make sure everything is accurate. Again, I think what's out there already is helpful but there are some very small things I have either had to do trial and error on my own or dig into the depths of hell to find.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Post May 9th '18, 20:35

I think this is a good idea, though it’s worth noting that the Forge/Anvil manuals and Hastur’s Workshop (which should be archived here) cover a lot of this already. (I think there were also video tutorials for Forge, but don’t quote me on that.) However, some of this stuff works differently in Aleph One, Weland, ShapeFusion, etc., so it’d still be useful to update those parts, and it’d also be useful to have all this info in one place. But those would be good starting points so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel (well, for the non-video parts, anyway; the videos would probably need to be re-recorded or at least re-edited to show Weland’s different behaviour).
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post May 10th '18, 18:30

The Man wrote:I think this is a good idea, though it’s worth noting that the Forge/Anvil manuals and Hastur’s Workshop (which should be archived here) cover a lot of this already. (I think there were also video tutorials for Forge, but don’t quote me on that.) However, some of this stuff works differently in Aleph One, Weland, ShapeFusion, etc., so it’d still be useful to update those parts, and it’d also be useful to have all this info in one place. But those would be good starting points so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel (well, for the non-video parts, anyway; the videos would probably need to be re-recorded or at least re-edited to show Weland’s different behaviour).

Yes, I want to use those as a basis. A lot of the basic stuff is covered but very minor but potentially frustrating things are not noted and of course as you said the programs are from the stone age.

Hastur's workshop is also great.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera