Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Grenth
Born on Board

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but when I try to test out the latest posted alpha, it just quits the moment a map finishes loading. Though it seems to be specifically maps with the redone textures and bumpmapping, as maps with the old textures load okay.

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit, trying to run Eternal X 1.2.0a2, with the latest AlephOne beta from 9/7/2015.

Eternal X 1.2.0a1 worked just fine though.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

Might just work better on Mac. The originals where Mac games after all.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

still kind of away "for the weekend" unexpectedly but a few quick comments

I was asking for feedback on how well RADIX's art fits in with the scenario. I'm on the fence about that myself and basically would like the community to decide whether I should use it or not. I don't want to hurt your feelings at all RADIX, I really appreciate the help and I think in and of itself your art is good, it's just a question of whether players in general will like how it fits in Eternal. I'd like to get that feedback in sooner rather than later so we're not wasting your time working on something that consensus says shouldn't be used.

I do think that the pic of Marcus is definitely showing too much of his face. And the one with K'lia over Earth looks pretty good, but I was hoping to have the moon in there somewhere too, and maybe more of Earth with continents visible, to be more clear that this is Earth and that K'lia is not just the moon but a separate thing besides it.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

OK, understood.

wrt: K'lia, I've tried updating it to include the things you mentioned. Dunno if the Moon would be in that position relative to K'lia, but I was worried that putting it on the other end of the pic would unbalance the composition.
Attachments
eternal term art 3.zip
(190.04 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
welcome to the scene of the crash
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

finally back to doing things tonight

new:
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.10.13 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.10.24 AM.jpg

old versions:
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.12.53 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.13.02 AM.jpg
also fixed some errors spotted in last round of screenshots, but haven't screenshotted the fixed versions yet becasue sleep

so tired
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

new versions of these tonight
27new.jpg
28new.jpg
old versions for comparison
27old.jpg
28old.jpg
also mostly fixed up this (compared to the earlier attempt above) though now that i look at this screenshot i see there's still more of the same kind of bug to fix
22new.jpg
old 1.1 version for comparison too
22old.jpg
also fixed very minor things about others, will post in a followup soon (any way that the delay between posts can be turned down, whoever has control of that these days? it's a pain in the butt waiting 20 mins between posts just because I can only post 8 images at once).
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

fixed a small tiling bug on all of these, and maybe some little bump map bugs
31new.jpg
32new.jpg
33new.jpg
34new.jpg
35new.jpg
36new.jpg
old 1.1 versions of those for comparison to follow in a moment

if anyone has any specific suggestions about ways in which the new ones are worse than the old ones that I should fix please let me know, I'm too tired to trust my own judgement these days
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

31old.jpg
32old.jpg
33old.jpg
34old.jpg
35old.jpg
36old.jpg
oh and RADIX i thought your newer klia pic looks better.

The Man, you're the one who wanted to divide up that first terminal with pictures in the first place, what are your thoughts on that front?
The Man
Vidmaster

They look really good to me. They're a somewhat different style from the other art in the game, especially the alternate version, but I don't think that matters much even from an in-universe perspective: as far as I recall, Marcus' terminals don't really have any art, and as I've stated, I think it's entirely plausible that different personages/AIs would employ different art styles. And for that matter, even if we're talking the same person/AI, they might decide to change their style at some point, or be capable of more than one style, or any number of other explanations. So I wouldn't think too hard about that; it's really only for textures or other artwork within the game environment itself where I think you need a consistent art style (and even then, maybe only within a given location or texture set). For terminal art and such, you can just think of them as in-universe artistic representations, so if they don't look like the game itself, it shouldn't break anyone's suspension of disbelief.

Sorry I've kinda disappeared - obviously I've been trying to get my own scenario into a releasable state, and I've had some other issues to deal with (friend's birthday was Wednesday; I'm also retooling my résumé since my current job will be lost to automation in a couple of months). I'll probably resume playing through the rest of the levels and commenting on them soon enough, though.

Is there anything I should know about the pull request process on Github? I can probably start making some of the small changes I've noted above in Weland tomorrow (level title caps, slow platforms, etc.), though VML/Vasara still confound me. (Vasara is apparently supposed to have a really intricate UI, but it doesn't show up that way for me. I probably messed something up in the config process.)
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:(any way that the delay between posts can be turned down, whoever has control of that these days? it's a pain in the butt waiting 20 mins between posts just because I can only post 8 images at once).
You could use imgur and post links to the stories
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I actually haven't made a pull request in something like six years so I don't remember any details of it, but Lia's been doing it on her Eternal work so if you have questions she can probably answer them.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Updated these two tonight:
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.47.51 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.47.15 AM.jpg
Old 1.1 versions for comparison:
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.58.45 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.58.39 AM.jpg
Realized that I had jumped the gun on the one logo texture last night, making basically what I was going to make tonight instead, so I trimmed it down to mirror it's 1.1 version:
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.48.22 AM.jpg
Also fixed up the last (?) bugs on this, toned down the green a bit, and as you can tell in this and the previous screenshot, also toned down the base texture for this subset, which improves about a third of the textures a lot I think, though I'm not bothering to screenshot the others because of the 8 pic limit:
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.49.59 AM.jpg
And lastly I fixed the last (?) of the bumpmap bugs with these ones:
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.56.26 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 1.56.44 AM.jpg
And besides further bugs that's the last of the basic Pfhor textures. Next week or two will be the special textures (switches/chargers/terminals/doors/windows/media/light) and then alpha 3 is out.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

life's been crazy this week so i'm just now getting started with the one easiest special texture of this set, though i'm pretty happy with it:

for comparison, old and busted:
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.27.51 PM.jpg
new hotness:
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.51.48 PM.jpg
might also squeeze the windows in the next hour cause that's kinda easy looking too
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Pfhorrest wrote:life's been crazy this week so i'm just now getting started with the one easiest special texture of this set, though i'm pretty happy with it:
The revised textures look a lot cleaner to me. :)
welcome to the scene of the crash
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

thanks! :)

got around to those "windows" (bars) too afterall:
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.43.37 PM.jpg
becomes
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.52.54 PM.jpg
The Man
Vidmaster

These all definitely look like improvements. Looking forward to the new shapes file.

For my part, I’ll probably start making pull requests this weekend or something.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

got two more done tonight

lights old
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 9.35.44 PM.jpg
and new
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 10.50.24 PM.jpg
and media old
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 9.35.55 PM.jpg
and new
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 11.14.40 PM.jpg
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Nice job on the media, looks much less repetitive. Dark spots are a bit odd though, will those be transparent when used on liquid?
The Man
Vidmaster

If I remember how Aleph One does liquid transparency, they should be. This may depend upon settings in the MML script, though; I can't remember offhand.

I definitely like the new textures a lot more than the old ones.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.02.37 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.12.13 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.02.46 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.12.25 AM.jpg
obviously I still need to fix the bump map on those logos but here's a straight on view where its not so noticeable for now
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.13.14 AM.jpg
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

im chargin up mah textures
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 10.02.44 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 11.53.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 10.02.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 11.53.46 PM.jpg
SHOOP DA WHOOP

ugh now that i look at them side by side i dont know if the new ones are better

also havent fixed those logos from yesterdays doors yet
ravenshining
Vidmaster

TBH the whole glare-on-glass effect is a bit off-putting. But then I'm one of those people who hates glossy screens IRL and only buys matte "business" equipment.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Switches were surprisingly quick tonight:
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 10.37.11 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.02.25 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 10.37.21 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.02.41 PM.jpg
Also fixed the glitchy bump map on these doors:
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.49.56 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.50.09 PM.jpg
And improved the chargers a bit too:
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.50.26 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 11.50.39 PM.jpg
Sorry Lia, I like the glassy look. (Unless there's consensus that it's awful and not just a difference of opinion?)

Tomorrow night I will probably upload 1.2a3.
The Man
Vidmaster

I kinda like the glassy look, though I can see an argument either way for it. Your most recent revision of the rechargers definitely looks the best to me. I do wish the green of the new switch were a bit more saturated; that’s my only real complaint with any of this stuff, I think.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Eternal X 1.2.0 alpha 3 is available now.

I agree that the new Pfhor switch needs something like more saturation.

Also some things I noticed in last-minute testing that I'll try to revisit some time maybe next week if I can find the time:

- Figure out of transparency on the Pfhor goo is actually working or not, and if not why

- Figure out what is weird about the transition from off to on in the charger.

- Desaturate the wavy green "metal" lines to look more actually metallic, maybe?

While running through and testing, I felt like the Human set looked a lot better than the Jjaro or Pfhor sets, but I'm not sure if that's because of the textures themselves or just because the levels are better textured and lit? Can anyone else test a bit and maybe tell me what they think and if you agree with that, what do you think it is about the Human textures that's better than the others, that I can try to bring to the others somehow?