Putting the Marathon Vidmaster's Challenge films on YouTube

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

On my Windows machine, should I:

Focus on encoding as much M2 and M∞ content as possible
25%
Focus on encoding Rubicon films
50%
Focus on other scenarios (please specify which)
No votes
Other (please explain)
25%

Total votes : 4

Re: Putting the Marathon Vidmaster's Challenge films on YouT

Post Jul 4th '18, 17:46

The Hard Stuff Rules…

Fists only apart from the Flame Cyborgs, for whom I used about 1½ fusion batteries. I’ve got a hypothesis about a strategy that will enable me to deal with them without using weapons or putting myself at too much risk, but I’ve yet to test it out, so I didn’t do it this go-round. I’ll almost certainly do this level again, since there are several other potential improvements I could make at my current skill level – there are several points that suffered from the fact that I hadn’t completed this level in probably a decade.

Not finished processing yet – YouTube says eight minutes left. (Since the timestamps are wrong here, I’ll note that it’s currently 2:11 EDT.)
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Fool's Gold · Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jul 6th '18, 23:05

Because I have so many previously unreleased films to upload, I’ve been making those my priority, and I’ve been uploading them in whatever order comes to mind. On the whole, I’ve started with the longest films from M2 and M∞’s fists only packs, and also included whatever other random films pique my interest. (I’ve also uploaded the first 17 fists-only M2 levels, regardless of length – I had been trying to complete M2 before I felt compelled to see “Hang Brain” done with fists only.) But it occurs to me that people may want to see specific films.

I’ve also been slowly branching out into other people’s films. I uploaded Jeffrey Lundquist’s film of “Eat It, Vid Boi!” showing how to get the rocket launcher and flamethrower, and I uploaded Daniel Gentry’s film of “Acme Station” with fists only and no hits. On the whole, I’ve mostly been doing the absolutely exceptional films, because aiming for all of them right now is a can of worms I don’t even want to get into, especially when I’ve got so many of Dr Sumner’s films from other scenarios, too.

I’m going to try to get emulation set up this weekend – I know I keep saying that, but hopefully tomorrow I should have far fewer distractions than I’ve had lately. Once I’ve done that, I can hopefully start uploading M1, Rubicon, Return to Marathon, and that one TI:TLL level that desynced.

Anyway, if you have any specific requests, let me know. Come sometime in August, I’ll still be able to upload films, but probably not at my current pace, so if you make them now, you’ll get a faster turnaround.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jul 10th '18, 16:51

Redid two M∞ levels with fists only.

Son of Grendel

Not as difficult as I expected, given the many Troopers. Unfortunately, I had an earlier attempt of this level that was going even better (I think I’d taken almost no damage from the big swarm of Troopers) until I screwed it up by jumping into the area with the control switches too soon. I’ll probably redo it again at some point.

#24 You Think You’re Big Time? You’re Gonna Die Big Time!

This one is unavoidably dull for about ten minutes because, well, Juggernaut. Dr Sumner’s film depicts him actually fighting the Juggernaut for a large portion of the level, but I don’t know how to ascertain when it’s approaching its death, so I just cut the knot and let it kill itself entirely on its own. But this means that at least half of the level is really boring. I tried to keep it interesting by looking around and not just staying in one place for too long, but there’s only so much of that you can do.

BTW, all of Dr Sumner’s fists only films from both games are now uploaded except “Confound Delivery”, which doesn’t currently play in A1. I’ll now complete the “no recharging” films (note that several of these repeat across packs, so there isn’t a unique “no recharging” film for each level).

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jul 17th '18, 17:38

Poor Yorick fists only, with bonus Confound Delivery fists only

This wasn’t as hard as I’d imagined, given the number of Troopers. It was possible to get most of them to kill themselves, or to get the Hunters to kill them. I think I only actually had to fist punch one of them myself, though it’s possible that I got hits on a couple of others during a large Hunter battle. I died a few times making this, but fairly early into the attempts; once I got past about the first ten minutes, I was golden.

I’m particularly proud of not having been hit once for the first seven and a half minutes of this film.

I wasn’t planning to play “Confound Delivery”, since I didn’t remember the level as well, but I decided “what the hell” and went for it. I think I showed all secrets, though I’m not entirely sure. I don’t think this technically counts as a vid film, but since I don’t take any advantage of the ammo cache I’d accumulated and only have 1x shields and less than a full tank of oxygen, I don’t think there’s any functional difference. They’re basically one level divided into two halves, anyway.

ETA: oh right, forgot the link. Fixed.

BTW, all of John’s fists only and no recharging films should be up now. I’ve got a few small packs of his to do and then I think I’ll be done with all of his M2 and M∞ films except the “Confound Delivery” one, as mentioned above.

I again hope to see about getting an emulator running this weekend. I’ve just been super busy – which I guess is to be expected when you’re first finding and then starting a new job. Hopefully things will calm down before classes start back up.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jul 19th '18, 02:41

Come and Take Your Medicine (fists only)

I wasn’t sure I’d get this one today, but I was sure it was within my grasp if I kept practising it. I was determined not to fire a single shot in this level, because, as far as I’m aware, this level’s only usable munitions in solo games are an alien weapon and a handful of magnum clips. It was basically a baptism by fire, but I emerged much better at fist-punching Troopers to death, as long as I have sufficient space to do so. It’s still utterly beyond me how to deal with them in cases like the sniper ledges in “This Side Toward Enemy”, though.

The last few minutes of this video are probably fairly boring, as there’s a lot of wandering around trying to make certain I’ve cleared out the whole level. This winds up being for the best, because I encounter a Trooper underwater somewhere near the end. I have absolutely no idea how he got there. It’s probably best not to think too much about how the enemies on this level get where they do; it’s practically random each game, given how gigantic the level is and the fact that there are respawning drones for the first ≈20 minutes. (There’s a finite limit to the number that respawn – according to Weland, it’s seventeen if you add up all the different varieties – but the respawn rate is low enough that it takes awhile to run through them all. I should note that I’m not exaggerating about the “practically random” bit. This film took about a dozen attempts to make, of which around five ran long enough for me to have seen most of the level. In no two of those attempts did I encounter all of the Troopers in the same place each time.)

I think I killed all the enemies. I should note that I don’t count the Compiler with the terminal (F’tha, if memory serves) as an enemy. You have to either fire at him/her/them or come into physical contact with them, and the S’pht are slaves. But other than that, I’m fairly sure I killed everything. It’s possible there’s a respawning drone I missed, but given how long I spent wandering around the map, I kind of doubt it. Regardless, I didn’t make 100% certain – I wound up leaving for a bit, and I decided to finish the film and leave it encoding while I stepped outside.

In any case, I’m quite pleased with how this one turned out. There’s still room for improvement, but I doubt I could’ve pulled this off even a couple weeks ago.

§

Should I start publishing any of my films in the main playlists? If so, just the ones I’m really happy with, or should I just put my best version of each level up regardless of what I think of it?

§

As far as other people’s films, I’ve decided to encode Michio Hashimoto’s M2 films for now, because a lot of them are very long (he often put several levels in one film, so the later ones aren’t really Vidmaster films, but they’re still pretty interesting), so they’re nice to leave encoding while I sleep or wander off to work or what have you. I think I’m also going to try to get as many of the vid tips encoded as possible, since most of them are quite short.

I’ve been incredibly busy lately between vacation, looking for and then starting a new job, and various other real-life tasks, but there’s a chance I may finally be able to take a serious look at getting an emulator running this weekend. Don’t set your clock by it, of course – I’ve made this prediction several times before and been proved wrong. I’ll also look into generating a resource fork for the Rubicon map, which sounds like it may be a lot less time-consuming than getting an emulator running.

§

ETA: I added a poll requesting feedback about what videos to encode next. You can select any or all options, though I’m not sure how meaningful it would be to select all four. (I guess it would mean you’d be happy seeing whatever I posted.) If you select the third or fourth option, please explain your selection. For that matter, if you select the first option, if you have a preference as to which player’s films (and which of their films) you’d like to see, that’s worth an explanatory post as well.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Jul 19th '18, 22:14

The Man wrote: as there’s a lot of wandering around trying to make certain I’ve cleared out the whole level.

On your own films, you might try this kill counter from Hopper.
It is smart enough to count only those you kill, but the initial total is updated by both spawns and friendly fire,
so when it reads 0 ... that's all folks.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.

HelviusRufus

Post Jul 20th '18, 00:32

I’ll definitely use that for my MacBook installs of M2 and ∞ from now on; thanks. (For M2/∞, I only encode my own films on my MacBook, because it spits them out at 800x1280 resolution. Come to think of that, the only Chronicles films I’ve encoded on my MacBook have been my own, too, since no one else has sent me any, but I think I’ll probably leave that plugin uninstalled there if it affects film encoding.)

I see someone has checked the “other” box. Care to elaborate? Thanks for the feedback overall; I’ll try to start Rubicon this weekend.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Previous

Return to Marathon Discussion