macOS versions

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
spoon404
Spazeroid

I did some minor searching and wasn't able to find the answer easily. pardon the newbie question.

I tried grabbing Marathon .dmg files and all the new content based off Aleph One, but nothing runs. Assuming the official build of Aleph One doesn't run under macOS 10.13.6, which is what I'm running. Is there a way to make Aleph One run in 10.13 or is there a recent build that I can try? Would that also work for the original Marathon trilogy releases as well? Thanks in advance.
treellama
Vidmaster

The latest build on https://alephone.lhowon.org/ works for me in 10.3.6 (except everything is super dark, which is a known bug)

If you have Gatekeeper enabled (and I think it is by default) you may need to right-click on the Marathon app and select "Open" from the context menu. That will temporarily bypass Gatekeeper.
spoon404
Spazeroid

ok, thanks!

I did determine that 10.13.6 wasn't the issue. I have that running on a Mac Mini and it works fine. I tried it under 10.12.x on a 2008 MBP and that ran fine too. The issue seems to be on my Touchbar Macbook Pro. For some reason it opens, goes to black, and then quits back to finder. Aleph One opens and asks me for a scenario, but after choosing, goes black and quits to finder.

I tried doing the right-click->open method you mentioned and did help. any other ideas i can try? the touchbar is my primary machine now, and I'd love to get this going again. Thanks!
treellama
Vidmaster

It may have to do with the retina display. I have a touchbar MBP running 10.13.6, but my preferences were already set up. When I get a chance, I'll try deleting my prefs and trying from scratch.
TrajansRow
Born on Board

I also had trouble launching new scenarios after I got my retina MBP. A1 would just exit, and the log reported an OpenGL initialization error. The issue seemed to have been triggered by using a 1.5x scale factor for the display. Changing it to 1x or 2x resolved the issue until the graphics preferences were saved.
spoon404
Spazeroid

how do i change the scale factor?
TrajansRow
Born on Board

System Preferences->Displays->Resolution:

I have no idea if changing that setting will help you; it was just the solution to a similar-sounding issue I had once on a high PPI notebook. Your log file output might also have some useful troubleshooting info in it.
spoon404
Spazeroid

That was it! scaling to "1440x900" instead of the default 1680x1050 allowed the apps to open. thank you!
treellama
Vidmaster

Ah, that explains why mine works; I use 1440x900