Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Re: Eternal X 1.2

Post Aug 20th '18, 03:55

Fusion ammo in ch5 sounds fine by me. Thanks!

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 20th '18, 04:22

Cool. I’ve implemented some extra fusion ammo in “Garden”, though I might still add a bit more. Latest gameplay video is here.

This’ll probably be my last Eternal vid film for awhile unless I succeed at getting “Unlucky Pfhor Some” soon. School starts back up tomorrow, and I’m likely to spend a lot of my remaining Marathon time polishing off the other levels in Eternal (trying to find more of those scenery object traps, fixing the remaining ambient sounds and platforms, and so on), working on Chronicles, working on my YouTube channel, and trying to get my emulator problems sorted out. It’s been really fun vidding a lot of these levels, though, and I’ll no doubt start trying to get some more of them when I have more free time again.

I’ll probably upload new versions of all this stuff later tonight.

ETA: The Banshees had their “radius” set to 0 and their “height” to -1. Surely that’s wrong, no? No wonder they were so fucking difficult to attack! I’m going to set them to 256 and 819, respectively, which are pretty typical settings.

Edit 2: Tonight’s map changes. I haven’t gone through and put fusion ammo in all the chapter 5 levels yet; it’s in about half the levels. I’ve also got a lot of sound changes to make, and I haven’t play-tested the failure branch at all. I did alter the respawn rate in the failure dream levels in both this and chapter 3, and I also fixed all the physics models in this chapter and the chapter 3 failure dream. I think. Might want to double-check. I forgot that there were Banshees in the chapter 4 failure dream, too, so I guess you can do that one yourself. Or maybe I’ll upload a fixed version tomorrow. But I’m tired, so that’s probably it for tonight.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 20th '18, 07:38

Banshee height and radius were intentional to make it so they couldn't block you in and you could always run away straight through them if need be.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 20th '18, 17:32

Makes sense, but I've never gotten it to work like that. More TK in a few hours.

In the meantime I think the first two Jjaro failure branch levels may be too easy; I got them both on the first try. Not sure how to spice them up.

https://youtu.be/dbtEJckxrX8

https://youtu.be/ot5cE9yW8ik

Work beckons. More later.

ETA: so yeah, even if you set the radius & height to those values, I've found that at least in certain environments, the monsters still obstruct the player. An example is with the Möthrids and potatoanuses in "Ys", or basically any level that uses them, particularly in media. ("Strange Aeons" in Infinity is another example, I believe.) It's not a problem for monsters that don't fly/float (e.g., Grendels), but that's obviously not the case with Banshees. This may be a thing that can be solved with Lua, though it might be very complicated to do so - I don't know how at this point, but maybe Wrkncacnter, RyokoTK, or Treellama have ideas.

In any case, leaving the original values would, I believe, make it impossible to hit them with several attacks. I know attacks with a radius of impact will probably damage them, but fusion and the staff might not. I don't fully understand how this works, but I'm fairly sure that explosions were the only attacks that damaged Grendels and potatoanuses in Infinity, because nothing else would hit them (I think Möthrids were immune to everything). Someone who understands the relevant code can probably clarify this better.

Also, BTW, the credits in the ending appear to be up-to-date, but the credits in the images file probably need to be updated in the next alpha. IDK if you've already gotten that; there hasn't been an alpha in months. Perhaps there should be one soon, between the changes to the miner's light and the texture bug fix - most people downloading the latest alpha probably won't know about those, and they make a pretty big difference.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 21st '18, 00:32

burnt out from work and about to leave for workout/dinner but trying to catch up on everything i missed this weekend

i've merged in your latest map changes but I omitted the levels I've been working on this month just in case because i haven't had time to double check them yet. are there anything in those I need to check, like that scenery stuff you were talking about before on sakhmet etc? not sure if you changed anything there?

i'm fine with the banshee sizes being changed now that they're not so unkillable. they weren't intangible in pid either so its fine if they're not in eternal.

credits appear to be up to date in the build on my hd, I guess i must have changed that since a5.

a5 is just slightly under a month old, and the next release (b1) will be coming out either late this week or early next week, basically as soon as ch1 map modifications are complete. b2 will be the end of sept, b3 the end of oct, b4 nov, and b5 / final in dec.

could I ask a favor? i'm afraid i'm going to lose track of your suggestions for levels i haven't gotten to yet by the time I get to them if they're just here and there throughout this thread. could you build me a to-do list somewhere of anything you think should be changed that you haven't already changed yourself? github has such a feature, but even just like... a simple document online somewhere that you can edit and i can refer to it when i'm working on a given level like I refer to ryoko and crater creator's reviews would be great.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 21st '18, 01:30

I haven't done much to the dream levels - mostly physics changes and modifications to the banshee respawn rate, which I'll tell you when I get home if I don't forget. These are just guesses and I may decide to change them again later - I haven't gotten the chance to test those levels yet. I may also decide to add some fusion batteries if those are OK, or else write a Lua script to increase the battery count in vid starts, because otherwise the player will probably run out of fusion ammo pretty quickly.

Compiling a to-do list is fine but I might not get to it tonight depending upon school assignments. I didn't change the pillars in Sakhmet because I wasn't sure if you were going to change it further. I'll go through and review my old posts soon to see what hasn't been implemented yet.

I think the alpha 5 release is probably from before you changed the credits. Beta 1 being released in a week or so is fine.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 21st '18, 06:29

RyokoTK wrote:06. Core Done Blew

Overall, this level is just shy of "decent."

Since I guess it's pretty okay, and this level relies so heavily on custom lights and tag switches that are a pain in the ass to work with in Vasara, I decided to leave relighting this level alone. Some parts of it are darker than I'd like, but that's playing with the miner's light completely off like I have been to make sure the lighting looks good unto itself, so when I turn the miner's light back up a little again that will probably by fine.

What's annoying is that twice on this level I was teleported around only to have a Scatterforcer appear right in my face. Once at the beginning of the level, and once near the end. That's just a really annoying and dirty trick, but I have a feeling that it was an oversight in the designer's monster placement. There are a couple other points like that, such as when you go to press a switch only to have Troopers and Hunters spawn in right next to you and around you (that was a very quick death). The worst of it, though, is the core room itself. There must be fifty Wasps in this big room, and you have to kill them all or risk being pelted to death when you cross it. Wasps are just inherently annoying; they're like Drones from M2, but worse, since you can't see them as easily nor dodge their shots as easily. And there's so damn many of them... clearing them out took probably ten minutes.

This was the only really actionable part of his review, short of scrapping or majorly overhauling the level. I got rid of the first enforcer in your face and I guessed at the two most likely to be the one near the end and got rid of them too, and that surprise posse by the switch, and I cut the number of wasps around the core in half.

Crater Creator wrote:This map has a lot of solid panes of glass. I would've used a semitransparent texture to make it obvious which openings have glass.

Since the only semitransparent texture in this set is not well-suited for most of those solid windows, and for the aforementioned pain-in-the-assness of working with this level in Vasara, I declined to do this, which is the only really actionable thing in his review.

On my own, I noticed that this level uses the switch texture in a peculiarly cropped way that does not work perfectly with the current (new) version of it, so I made a slight change to the texture to make it work like that again instead or realigning every goddamn switch everywhere in this pain in the ass level.

RyokoTK wrote:07. Heart of Fusion

This level's okay too, I guess. It's pretty short. The one thing that kills me about this level is that there is an abundance of elevators that are constantly moving, and they're all too damn slow. Because, knowing my luck, I'm always going to miss every elevator and it sucks having to wait ten tedious minutes for it to come back down, when really the elevators could stand to a) move faster and b) be player-triggered.

Looks like Aaron already fixed that, and since that seems to be the only actionable thing about this level in his review...

Crater Creator wrote:Well, I managed to get myself stuck. I had the bright idea of waiting until the 2 troopers around polygon 831 opened the door while I waited in the room to the west that overlooks that area. Then I lobbed grenades to hit the switch in front of polygon 842. How clever I thought I was...until my grenades hit the switch twice, raising the platform just enough to block my exit from the shaft, and killed the troopers so they couldn't open the door again. Thank goodness I didn't save after that!

I was going to go fix that just now, but there don't appear to be troopers in that area anymore, so maybe they got removed at some point, possibly because of that comment.

And since the rest of that level is pretty okay and also full of complex tag switches that are a pain in the ass to work with in Vasara and I am super burnt out tonight, I'm just gonna leave the rest of it alone.

Aside from that, I moved those scenery objects on Sakhmet that were causing Aaron problems.

I also merged in Aaron's failure dream levels since he definitely was working from the latest version I have of them so there's no reason not to.

Everything should be up on GitHub now.

Tomorrow I hope to finish retexturing and lighting Giants. Then Wednesday I hope to sort out the physics model mess and maybe integrate some legacy MML to do with items and shots and things into the HD Guns plugin, and then release beta 1.

Aaron, no rush on that to-do list, as it's just for me to have when I get around to working on levels you've commented on in the future. Definitely won't be referring to it tonight.

Oh and while watching your vids of the ch5 failure maps, it occurs to me that any Security Bobs should probably be replaced with Blue VacBobs, because Security Bobs were originally going to become black-clad fusion non-vacuum Bobs but that's not happening now so having brown pistol Bobs in there as Jjaro makes no sense and they should be replaced with something that does.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 21st '18, 07:33

That makes sense.

TBH, I think I already implemented at least 90% of what I wrote about in my reviews myself. There are a few things I haven’t. Offhand, a few things:

• Level geometry in “Unlucky Pfhor Some”. It can be made more complicated, given the removal of the 1024-polygon limit, and it was a conspicuous case where the mapmaker ran out of polygons. However, I haven’t yet gotten around to making any geometry changes myself; I’ve just implemented a few rechargers and such.

Also, there are some very, very jiggly walls in this level, which you’ll see when I upload my vid film of it (currently encoding).

• “Third Rock from Lh’owon” seems a bit unbalanced, though I might just not have gotten the hang of it yet. Perhaps the number of troopers should be reduced, while Fighters could also be made to respawn. And if we’re going to have a battle on K’lia after which the player can keep a ridiculous amount of ammo, it might be worth having Enforcers respawn, too, since the two Enforcer guns are the two guns the player is likeliest to run out of ammo for in most chapters.

• “Second to Last of the Mohicans” - another case where the mapmaker ran out of polygons. Might be worth using up the unused space in the map now.

• There are also some jiggly walls in “These Caves Can’t Be a Natrual Formation”, which I again make plainly obvious in my vid film of the level (linked below). It’s also possible to grenade-jump to some locations that the mapmaker obviously didn’t intend for the player to get to, but that’s fine; I don’t think it’s possible to trap oneself in any of them.

• “Pissing on the Corporation” does not need 3x rechargers currently; they can be bumped down to 2x or possibly even 1x. Alternatively, the enemies can be beefed up in difficulty, or else more enemies can be added.
Speaking of which,

The Philosophy of Time Travel - I can now safely say that the entire failure branch of the Jjaro chapter is too easy. I’ve never, ever remembered properly where to go in this level, and I still never really came close to dying once I found the 2x recharger. I think I need to up the number of W’rk monsters in all three failure levels. Maybe the chapter 3 and 4 failure dreams are more challenging, though; given that you won’t have the Jjaro weapons, they almost certainly would be.

These Caves Can’t Be a Natural Formation - there’s one really challenging portion of this level, which is the portion from which the player can’t return. Unsurprisingly, this is also where I died in my previous attempt at completing this level on TC. This time I got it, though. The rest of the level is really, really easy. Again, it’s possible that the respawn rate of the W’rk monsters needs to be raised somewhat. That probably goes double for most of these now that we’ve nerfed the Banshees somewhat. We could probably also stand to add some monster placements to make some segments of this map more challenging.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 21st '18, 17:39

The Man wrote:
[*]“Third Rock from Lh’owon” seems a bit unbalanced, though I might just not have gotten the hang of it yet. Perhaps the number of troopers should be reduced, while Fighters could also be made to respawn. And if we’re going to have a battle on K’lia after which the player can keep a ridiculous amount of ammo, it might be worth having Enforcers respawn, too, since the two Enforcer guns are the two guns the player is likeliest to run out of ammo for in most chapters.

Spoiler:
I just played through the level on TC to see how it feels, and the one part that did feel a bit unfair is the final run back through the main open area to get to the platform up to the hulk room, and that's where I assume you're having trouble. It would be more in line with the idea of the level to replace the sewage pit beside that platform with a staircase up to it to avoid having to run through the juggernauts and swarm of troopers/hunters, but I can't really volunteer to do that any time soon so if you'd rather just tone down the enemies I understand.

If it helps you at all, the idea is to avoid fighting in that open main area and to find ways of running through it without having to engage in combat. I assume that's the part you're having trouble with, and not the side areas/sewer which are all (imo) pretty easy, even on TC. The huge amounts of enemies are supposed to give the feeling that you're moving ~stealthily~ between a large battle and only picking fights that you can't avoid. Of course, if it doesn't end up being fun for the player or isn't evident enough, go ahead and tone it down.

$lave

Post Aug 21st '18, 18:42

Thanks for the tips. If you can beat it, I'm sure it's possible, then. I definitely don't have the hang of the layout yet; it's a pretty disorienting map, though that's not necessarily the fault of the level - as I've mentioned above, I have yet to play through "Five Finger Discount" in Rubicon without getting lost. I will note that creators do tend to underestimate the difficulty of their own levels, though. I'd attribute this to knowing things about the levels through having constructed them and play-tested them to death that first-time players won't know. I'm guilty of this myself. I thought most of the levels in Chronicles were fair, but Dr Sumner has been having trouble with the second real level, "Pleiades' Dust", and I'd be surprised if there's a better Marathon player on the planet (has anyone else vidded every level in Marathon 2 entirely fists only?), so I obviously made it too difficult.

In any case, I do think there are slightly too many troopers, or maybe just troopers in the wrong places - "You go outside, you die" is one thing as a mechanic, but they often guard the rechargers, and that makes things borderline impossible at times. I haven't gotten as far in the level as you describe in years, I don't think - I had trouble even on lesser, non-existent difficulty settings (Normal, probably).

I do still want a level with respawning enforcers, at any rate. There's a bit on TV Tropes about how it's almost impossible to run out of shock staff or havoc rifle ammo, but it's commonplace to run out of ammo for the enforcers' weapons. This matches my experience to a tee, which is probably a sign that the scenario needs more enforcers. This level seems like a great place to address the balance.

If you have a TC film of the level, I'd love to see it (& with your permission, post it to my YouTube channel - let me know how to credit you if so).

While I'm thinking of it, a general observation - it was fine to have intense openings that required the player to respond immediately when it only took a couple seconds to load levels, but now that it usually takes ten to fifteen seconds to load all the textures and such, it might be worth toning down openings like this level's (it's not the only one). In this case I think you can probably just make the wall at the southern (?) border of the start area solid. (No political commentary intended.) A few other levels may require more significant changes. I'll test them all at some point.

Also: Unlucky Pfhor Some

It took some twenty tries, but I got it. Even collected all the ammo from dead Bobs and the like, because I am insane. (This may give a window into why I'm having trouble with "Third Rock", though I'm not this obsessive about collecting ammo there.) Not too many gameplay changes need to be made to this one, I don't think, but the simpler bits of architecture can be spruced up now that A1 raised the polygon limit. Maybe a few ambient sound changes to be made, too - I forget.

Encoding now: Unwired. I expect this one to be around an hour. It was a first attempt and I didn't remember the level very well, having played it only once before within the past ten years or so, and that having been on a non-existent difficulty setting (Normal, I think). As a result I played very cautiously and got lost a few times, but I only really had trouble with a couple of sections. Most of the level is pretty easy, which is fine for this stage in the game. There's one amusing segment (to me, anyway) where I manage to punch two troopers through glass, one to death. This probably isn't worth fixing, since I doubt most people would think to do it, and it's really more of a glitch in the engine rather than the level. I think the only way to fix it is to adjust the width of the windows.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 21st '18, 18:59

You're probably right about the monster placement issue, there are a couple outside areas that don't have to be as hard as they are. It's really just one stretch that should be a bit of a death valley. Also yeah, I still remember the layout well enough that I can avoid a lot of trial and error deaths which helps. If you ever wanna send me your latest copy of the map I can tweak the monster placement a bit and possibly also a bit of geometry.

$lave

Post Aug 21st '18, 19:35

That makes sense. I don't think I've adjusted the map since the latest Github update, but I'll confirm that after my "Unwired" film finishes encoding (the Github project is at https://github.com/Pfhorrest/Eternal).

Perhaps there should also be more of a reward for exploring the room I added, since the surrounding enemies are so difficult. Maybe a 3x recharger and perhaps even some ammo. Right now I think there are only a couple of pattern buffers and several enemies in the room.

As long as you're tweaking the map, btw, feel free to tweak the texturing and polygon heights in that segment. I don't really know how to use Eternal's textures well yet. And if you want to add more to the level, that'd probably be cool too. Maps can usually get to the 1,600-1,800 polygon range without too many problems, in my experience. Eternal 1.2 might as well take advantage of that.

(edit to fix github URL)
Last edited by The Man on Aug 21st '18, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 21st '18, 21:28

Glad to see you're back and helping out Steve :)

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 21st '18, 22:44

I think I neglected to say this above, so:

Pfhorrest wrote:Glad to see you're back and helping out Steve :)

(I wanted a gif here, but the only one I could find in a reasonable time frame had his speech mislabelled “seconded”. Internets, you have failed me.)

In a lot of cases I’ve just had to guess what the original mapmakers intended when refining these levels. It’s nice to actually be able to bounce ideas off of one of you; it’s a lot more interesting than just guessing. If you have any thoughts on any of your other levels (IDK who created what, apart from the levels that have the creators’ map writing on them) I’d like to hear those too.

(“Unwired” video is still rendering. Holy shit, that’s a long level. I think it may actually have taken me quite a bit longer than an hour to complete it, given that the video has already taken at least three hours and change to render and I probably still have at least 15% of the level left. Eternal videos seem to take way longer to render than videos of other scenarios do, too, which I presume is because of the bump mapping and glow maps. As an aside, I wish A1 rendered Retina displays in their full resolution; I’d certainly love to have a 2560x1600 video of this, or even the 2304x1440 video YouTube would give you, but it’d probably take my hoary old Dell twelve hours to render this in 1920x1080, so 1152x720 it is.)

ETA: “Unwired” video. Turned out to be sixty-four minutes long, almost to the second.

I’ll upload a vid film of “A Friend in Need” later. I think I may have discovered an unintended shortcut, although to be honest, I’m not sure how the player is actually supposed to reach that particular location. There are three fusion batteries there, so I think the player is intended to be able to reach that location somehow – I just suspect not the way I did it.

…also got “Hysterical Womb”, another really, really long level. The cyborg tanks are really, really hard on TC, and I’m glad you only have to fight them on a few levels (actually, are there any besides this one? I don't remember). On the plus side, it only took me a few attempts. The opening is easily the hardest part.

edit 2: “A Friend in Need” video, still uploading.

I haven’t worked on “Third Rock” since the last Github update, so feel free to do whatever’s necessary to refine it.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 22nd '18, 07:44

I retextured and relit Giants tonight. It got significantly darker, which was not the intended effect. Down in the canyons at the start I thought that unintentional overall effect looked good, but then high up on the clifftops I'm not so sure anymore.

Still need to split it into the other dream levels but I'll do that tomorrow because jesus four hours vanish quickly.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 22nd '18, 08:10

YouTube is stupid. I had to re-upload “A Friend in Need”; it’ll be here instead. (edit: or not; looks like it wound up using the URL above after all)

I went ahead and vidded most of the dream levels as well (failure and success, though I think I’ll redo all the success ones after you propagate the “Where Giants Have Fallen” changes to the dream levels) and “Roots and Radicals”. (Ironically “Roots and Radicals” was probably shorter than “The Living Receiver”, judging from file size; I kept getting lost in the failure dream. I did do the chapter three and four failure dreams as quickly as possible though.) I have to admit I kind of miss the ridiculous number of troopers from the earlier versions of this level, but I can understand why they were taken out.

BTW there are a few misaligned doors between “Roots and Radicals” and the failure dream. Vasara is stupid about that. There are also quite a few textures in “A Friend in Need” that could stand to be realigned.

Finally, I made a more concise playlist for my Eternal vid films.

And now I’m going to bed because JFC how the hell is it 4:36 am. I’ll leave “Hysterical Womb” encoding overnight and upload it when I wake up.

ETA: OK, one other thing before I sleep - humans and S'pht probably shouldn't be set to regard the cyborg tanks as enemies in the chapter two failure dream. At least, I assume that wasn't the intention.

Edit 2: Link for “Hysterical Womb” when it finishes uploading (it’ll still take until around 1 pm EDT, but I’ll be long gone by then). I’ll encode “The Living Receiver” while I’m AFK because that seems to have been the longest of my remaining films, then “Roots and Radicals” when I get back because it was the second longest. (I won’t be back until at least 9:30 pm EDT.)

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 22nd '18, 16:54

The Man wrote:ETA: OK, one other thing before I sleep - humans and S'pht probably shouldn't be set to regard the cyborg tanks as enemies in the chapter two failure dream. At least, I assume that wasn't the intention.

Humans should, but compilers should not, as the compilers and tanks are all under evil Tycho's control and attacking the human station.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 22nd '18, 16:58

Oh. Right. I played a lot of those last night and they ran together in my memory because they're essentially identical apart from physics, terminals, and item placement. The tanks' physics should be changed, then - they're not attacking the player or humans currently; they're attacking the Pfhor (and maybe the S'pht). I'll upload a film tonight. I think the S'pht might have humans as enemies - it was late and I was already half asleep when I played the level, so my memory probably isn't perfect.

The tanks are incredibly difficult enemies, BTW - it'll be a much harder level with them as foes. The chapter two failure dream is probably already the most challenging of the failure dreams as it is. It might be worth rebalancing that one after fixing the tank physics - maybe adding some extra ammo or another recharge canister somewhere, or changing the enemy placement.

Also in one of the terminals - I forget which, but one of the failure dreams - almost every occurrence of "it's" should be "its". I'll hopefully start reviewing terminals in earnest tonight.

ETA: “The Living Receiver” complete with weird cyborg tank behaviour. The humans and drones attack them and they just… stand there. It’s really weird. If the tanks are set to regard the player as an enemy, it’ll probably be worth adding ammo and maybe another energy canister or two somewhere, because it’ll be really difficult otherwise.

“Roots and Radicals” encoding now. I’ll get the other films from last night after it finishes (most of the others are very short by comparison to either of these two); I’m going to go watch The Expanse for now (I have two episodes left to get caught up).

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 23rd '18, 05:34

Tonight I (think) I figured out the physics model confusion and created a system to help keep track of it better that you can see up on GitHub now.

I also finished integrating most of the last of the things from the Eternal-Data file besides the music and loading screen into Plugins.

And I put a few finishing touches on the lighting of Giants and distributed those changes across all the success dreams. It doesn't look as dark as I thought it did last night, and the darkness seems to be more the fault of the textures themselves than the lighting, which I might get around to fixing some other time.

Eternal X 1.2 beta 1 is up now.

I've also adjusted my planned beta schedule a bit. I had planned to do three weeks of map touchups per month and then a month of "final checks" on each chapter, but I decided to make it instead a three-weeks-per-beta schedule with all of those "final checks" weeks at the end of the year, which also puts about a month between the release of beta 5 and the final version I plan to post at the end of the year.

So expect approximately:

beta 2 - before Sept 14
beta 3 - before Oct 5
beta 4 - before Oct 26
beta 5 - before Nov 16

that leaves about six weeks for final checks, aiming for about one week of final-checking per chapter plus a final week of last-minute checks modulo Christmas, aiming for a final release before Dec 28.

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 23rd '18, 10:14

I am getting some weird error when I try to launch a new game in the most recent Eternal build. The game either gets stuck on the "Eternal Loading" screen and just quits out...or it says that AlephOne has used all available memory and has to quit. I've watched the performance in the Task Manager, it barely uses 2 gigs of RAM and maybe 8% utilization of the graphics card.
This is the specific error:
fatal alert (ID=-1): Aleph One has used up all available RAM and cannot continue. Trying giving it more memory, switching to a lower bit-depth or turning off sounds and try again. (csalerts_sdl.cpp:209)

Just to make sure, I tried running Infinity with all the bells and whistles and it loads a new game just fine.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Aug 23rd '18, 12:27

I get the same error on my Dell (haven't tested it on my Mac yet). Disabling the HD plugins fixes it but everything looks awful - far worse than I'd have expected, even. I haven't yet isolated which is the culprit.

A few new videos are up, but I'll get links later - going back to sleep for now.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 23rd '18, 16:49

right now the non-hd textures are those ultraminimalist simple textures i'm using to check the lighting so yeah they'd look pretty awful if you're expecting lores versions of the hires textures

hope you guys can figure out lt's problem

Pfhorrest
California

Post Aug 23rd '18, 17:48

Probably a syntax error in the MML. Check Aleph One Log.txt.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 23rd '18, 20:16

Unfortunately, my log appears to be empty for August 23. I’ll at least attempt to narrow down which of the plug-ins is causing the problem later tonight, but I’ve really got other stuff I should work on for the next few hours.

Recent videos:

#07 Roots and Radicals (I don’t recall if I posted this already, but here it is in case I didn’t)

#08 The Tangent Universe

#09 Core Done Blew (easily the hardest of the chapter one levels, but that’s fine; I don’t know if the difficulty really needs to be adjusted much)

#10 Heart of Fusion (in which you can see how poorly I know the level; I think I did this fists & staff only, but someone may wish to confirm this for me)

#28 The Manipulated Dead

#38 The Ensurance Trap

#15 Unpfhorseen is encoding right now. There are several others I haven’t encoded/uploaded yet, too, including the first three levels of the S’pht chapter. (I never actually encoded an old “S’pht’ia” video for some reason; I’ll remedy that at some point as well.)

I should note that there appears to be a trap in “S’pht Happens” if you grenade-jump out at the wrong point (near the beginning of the level) and then jump down into the wrong part of the map. I’ll upload a video for that at some point too.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

Post Aug 24th '18, 04:26

I haven’t yet identified which line is causing the problem, but the HD textures plugin seems to be the culprit. Disable it and the game works fine.

I’ll test on my MacBook at some point, but I’m too busy playing the game/encoding new films right now. At the moment, films I have yet to encode:

May the Pfharce Be With You
S’pht’ia (I think)
Let Sleeping Gods Die
She Is the Dark One
Pfhor får lamm

plus a bunch of dreams

Here’s Unpfhorseen

I think S’pht Happens may just barely be viddable, but at least at my skill level, it’ll require a fair bit of luck to reach the first recharger. It’s definitely one of the three I’ve had the most trouble with so far (“The Incredible Hulk” and “Third Rock from Lh’owon” have been the others; I’m even having the exact same problem with “The Incredible Hulk”).

ETA: Finally got “S’pht Happens”, but it definitely wasn’t the approach Andreas intended when he created the level. Oh well. I at least don’t violate any Vidmaster rules in the process. I’ll try to do it properly at some point, but probably not until I’ve gotten as many of the other levels as I’m capable of getting.

I’ll upload all these films at some point in the near future, but I will be working pretty heavily the next two days, so it might be a few days.

...“Second to Last of the Mohicans” is making me feel super dumb right now. I should probably just try it again when I’m better rested. I do think it’d be a substantial improvement to the level if there were some way to mark the switches you’ve already hit, though, even if that just means the doors are set to “activates only once”, “can’t deactivate externally”, and “deactivates at each level”. I realise this would eliminate half the level’s puzzle, but figuring out which switch corresponds to which door is often almost impossible.

The Man
Sarasota, FL

PreviousNext

Return to Projects