Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
The Man
Vidmaster

Oh, yeah, you can do it. I’ll hand off all my changes at some point over the next twenty-four hours (I’m going to be away from the house for awhile and then I’ll have company tonight, so it probably won’t be today). I’ll need to isolate for sure what’s different about my map from Lia’s. There’s a lot.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ravenshining
Vidmaster

So Pfhorrest doesn't worry, we're discussing the WMC kick on discord and worked out a solution. Just testing the finer details :-)

I'm on top of the landscapes as well, turns out the ones in shapes use a different aspect than the HD ones.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

awesome, thanks guys

some time tomorrow night whenever Lia sends me the PR for the updated map stuff, can someone also compile into one post all the other non-map things (like any updated shapes file, plugins, etc) that I need to download and where I need to put them in my build to make sure that any other changes you guys have been making get rolled into that beta 9 release tomorrow night

thanks!
ravenshining
Vidmaster

https://github.com/Pfhorrest/Eternal/pull/39

There it is! The updated shapes, xml, mml, lua, etc. is all there, too.

I moved the landscapes into a their own plugin, that's all set up all it needs is for you to move the folder containing the actual landscape images.

In case you're wondering, there are two new files that do exactly what they say on the tin. .gitignore is a special file git uses to ignore certain files, and distribute-physics.sh is a bash script that will automatically copy all physics templates into the proper map folders. If you use that script make sure you run it from the Eternal directory that it resides in. It doesn't provide any verbosity atm but it does its thing.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

beta 9 is uploading right now.

thank you all so much
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Up on git I have made some small edits to Dysmentria and This Message, and re-added "type" attributes to walls.mml for players who may need it for memory management. University starts back up Monday, so that'll be it from me until next weekend.

I'm kind of in a 5-D spacey mood, and was trying to think of places where I might be able to use it for more than just a corridor loop and where it might make some sort of strange sense, and then I thought of the cores in Roots & Radicals and Heart of Fusion. I haven't pushed this to git because I wanted second opinions on it, and it hasn't been through a good alignment check.
RootsandRadicals_0000.jpeg
RootsandRadicals_0001.jpeg
I suppose it's probably too late to try and pull something like this and it didn't turn out as nice as I hoped, but well, there it is anyway.
Attachments
Roots and Radicals.sceA.tar.gz
(113.86 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
The Man
Vidmaster

Looks neat, though I can't figure out exactly what's different. I did discover a nasty motion glitch (it's there in the original too), which I'll post film of later.

"A Friend in Need" is about 99% done. I've refined the lightning script to near perfection; I mostly need to modify the fog script. There are a couple texturing issues left, but most should be fixed, and there are a couple switch issues too, though it's still possible to complete the level.

https://youtu.be/Q6uuqZpfbtw

Progress on Mohicans:

https://youtu.be/Z0z1urqb0iE

Will incorporate the same kind of lightning script, especially if I can find a way to make the sound effect context sensitive (possibly depending on media type). Can't think of too many changes, but the automap behaves strangely in the conveyor belt area. I'll have to refine the script a bit more.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Can't tell the difference? Then perhaps I've done a subtle enough job after all. I suppose I have time to do a couple of before and after screenshots...

Outside, before- just a solid cylinder of light:
RootsandRadicals_0002.JPEG
Outside, after- things are a little more intricate, but the madness has yet to set in:

Inside, before - a tall elevator to a series of short hallways:
RootsandRadicals_0003.JPEG
RootsandRadicals_0004.JPEG
Inside, after - a short elevator to a series of catwalks:
RootsandRadicals_0006.JPEG
RootsandRadicals_0007.JPEG
RootsandRadicals_0010.JPEG
...from which you can see through the space where the room would be below:
RootsandRadicals_0008.JPEG
That should be the room we're looking at, but it appears something entirely different is occupying the same three-dimensional space. The grille prevents you from getting stuck back there if you fall off.
RootsandRadicals_0009.JPEG
And if you do fall off - quite likely if you make your way up there before the S'pht find you - you can make your way to the elevators back up to the outside. Here's the view from the right door switch, looking through the space where the room would be up at the catwalks:
RootsandRadicals_0005.JPEG
But like I said, I haven't done texture alignment so it is not release-ready.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

That looks cool Lia, thanks!

Curious if you plan on implementing the same changes to the core of Heart of Fusion, or leaving the two levels with different cores in them? The latter is okay with me, and I dunno, it might even be for the better.

I'm also curious, what exactly are the remaining things everyone is planning to do before we call for feature freeze / beta 10?
The Man
Vidmaster

That definitely looks cool.

I’ll have to think over that, but I’ve certainly still got to go through the remaining texture misalignments you found from chapters 1 & 2. I definitely need to overhaul “Unwired” a bit more to reduce the amount of backtracking needed – there still aren’t anywhere near enough rechargers. I still have a lot of work in chapter 4. I think the biggest thing I have planned is completely overhauling the exteriors of “The Incredible Hulk” and “Babylon X”; I plan to add way more detail to both of them. There’s still, of course, the secret credits terminal in “Where Giants Have Fallen”. There’s a small amount of work left on “Mohicans” before it’s finished, though I’d say it’s 95% done. There’s a bit of work left on “Killing the Giants as They Sleep” (most notably putting in the powered-down Juggernauts). I may decide to add rain and lightning to one or two more levels, though I haven’t made up my mind for certain. Cleaning up ambient sounds a bit more; possibly adding flickering lights to a few levels. Fixing bouncy walls where they exist and are possible to fix. Probably a few other things that aren’t coming to mind.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

The Man wrote:I’ll have to think over that, but I’ve certainly still got to go through the remaining texture misalignments you found from chapters 1 & 2.
Oh, I thought that was done already -- that's what I was waiting on before releasing beta 9, and then Lia sent me a PR that I thought was for all of that, and that's why I put out beta 9 last week. I guess that shouldn't have happened yet, then. :\
The Man
Vidmaster

No, sorry, there’s still a few levels I haven’t gotten to; I didn’t realise you’d wanted that done for beta 9. Some of these levels have been pretty time-consuming to fix; I spent a couple of hours just on “Hysterical Womb” over the past couple of days, for instance. On the other hand, I’ve been fairly perfectionistic about it and suspect I’ve probably fixed a lot of cases that you didn’t care about as well.

ravenshining
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:That looks cool Lia, thanks!

Curious if you plan on implementing the same changes to the core of Heart of Fusion, or leaving the two levels with different cores in them? The latter is okay with me, and I dunno, it might even be for the better.

I'm also curious, what exactly are the remaining things everyone is planning to do before we call for feature freeze / beta 10?
Hm, okay, glad you like it! I foolishly thought I'd have time to do the same to Heart of Fusion yesterday and did not. I can do that on Saturday if you like, it should be fairly simple to repeat what I did there, and add it to git once I've got alignment cleaned up.

I was thinking, it might be fun to have a chapter setback if you were to go to the end of a failure level, kill all the BoBs, and then return to the beginning terminal. Or maybe there's an orb in the dream, and if you kill it and climb back up the mountain, you get sent backward or forward.

Besides that, and what I've already PR'd, I do not have any level, physics, shapes or scripting changes to the storyline that I plan on doing.

I would like to illustrate a few more terminals, and to create a few netlevels. Since the latter doesn't impact the campaign at all, and since the former is fairly simple and doesn't require major changes, those could possibly be done at a later point in the process.

Your call as to what you'd like me to do and when. I will most likely be unavailable except on Saturdays from here on out.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I don’t have anything I particularly need done unless you want to help Aaron finish off those alignments I didn’t have time to finish myself.

Besides that everything I had planned on is done and the rest is just waiting for you guys to finish any of your plans and then test to your satisfaction.

Also I don’t really understand your idea about the dream levels?
The Man
Vidmaster

I’m looking at the HD textures for a number of reasons, most notably trying to sort out a way to reduce memory usage and get the damn things to work on Windows without stutters (or at all in A1 1.2.1). Do the glow maps double up the original texture images? Because that could be a way to reduce memory usage some. At least in the water set, the first several images look like they’re exactly the same as the normal texture images, with just the glow maps being different. Could redirect the glow maps so they work this way:

Code: Select all

<texture coll="17" bitmap="0" normal_image="Walls/Set1-Forerunner/0Special/01.dds"
			offset_image="Walls/Set1-Forerunner/xBumpMaps/01.dds"
			glow_image="Walls/Set1-Forerunner/0Special/01.dds"
			glow_mask="Walls/Set1-Forerunner/xGlowMaps/01glow_mask.png"/>
And so on. If there’s a difference, it’s so subtle I couldn’t tell. On the other hand, I also haven’t gone through them all yet. But it might reduce memory usage to get rid of the alternate glow image and it would certainly reduce the file size of the download.

ETA: I see there are some that aren’t doubled up, so there must be some difference in the ones that are, but for the life of me, I can’t tell what it is.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Using the normal .dds as the glow-image doesn't work because the normal .dds has its own mask embedded (which, in most cases, is just solid opaque) which conflicts with the assignment of a glow-mask. If we were just using PNGs or JPEGs or something for the normal images, and normal-masks were separate, then we could pair the same PNG as glow-image with a different glow-mask. But try to pair a DDS with a separate glow-mask and it doesn't work. I originally had it that way (trying to call the normal .dds as glow-image), and it wasn't working; that's one of the things I fixed pervasively in the texture-fixing I did over the course of December.

All the glow-images either use the solid-color general glow-images for that set, or else (only in the case of 'special' textures, 01 through 10) use a PNG copy of the normal texture as the glow-image.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

That makes sense. Although, if you must specify a separate glow image, why not just apply the mask to the glow image ahead of time, like this (shrunk to fit as a pfhorums attachment):
03g.png
If you must go editing walls.mml, please do so to the latest version:

https://github.com/Pfhorrest/Eternal/bl ... /walls.mml

I re-added "type" attributes so A1 can cut down on wall resolution and VRAM usage if the user tells it to in Rendering Options.
The Man
Vidmaster

What happens if you do it the other way around, then, using the glow mask as the main texture, too? Does everything except the glow mask show up transparent? I haven’t tried it. I wonder if there’s any way to simplify this process and use fewer resources while still using DDS with mipmaps and so on.

treellama
Vidmaster

The Man wrote:I wonder if there’s any way to simplify this process and use fewer resources while still using DDS with mipmaps and so on.
You won't save any RAM or VRAM by re-using files; they will get loaded as many times as they are specified in the MML as used in the current level.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Aaron, do you think you could share what of those texture alignments I handed of to you you haven't gotten to yet, so that Lia can help finish those off this weekend if she has time to work on Eternal stuff and is looking for something to do?
The Man
Vidmaster

I basically haven't gotten around to anything in chapter 1, IIRC. I've gotten most of the stuff in the first two chapter 2 levels done and am going to start Unlucky Pfhor Some next. I'll double-check later today if someone reminds me.

Sorry I haven't been around much this week - I'll have more detailed responses later today, hopefully.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

The Man wrote:I basically haven't gotten around to anything in chapter 1, IIRC. I've gotten most of the stuff in the first two chapter 2 levels done and am going to start Unlucky Pfhor Some next. I'll double-check later today if someone reminds me.

Sorry I haven't been around much this week - I'll have more detailed responses later today, hopefully.
Thanks Aaron! Since I already took care of the front half of chapter 1 myself, I guess Lia can help with anything in the back halves of chapters 1 or 2 if she’d like.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

PR with Aaron's latest changes and my competed 5-D cores and other updates up on Git. Hopefully it auto-added my latest push since opening the PR, it looks like it has.

Set up a S'pht ambush on Roots and Radicals to hopefully knock the player off the catwalks. Fixed texture alignment.
Also added a hidden-in-plain-sight breakable panel to the bridge that, if destroyed, causes the door to the teleporter to cycle constantly. That way, the player may feel like they've made a difference if they find it, while still allowing the battle to rage indefinitely.

Decided to go a slightly different route with Tycho. Like his personality, Tycho's core is perhaps more transparent than Durandal's, but also more deadly.
HeartofFusion_0002.jpeg
Don't worry, there's an extra 2x charger before you have to deal with that. Hopefully that'll be enough. If that's too much lava down below I suppose I can invert it, although I wanted the area to be evocative of M1 lava levels. Um, the fog script should probably be changed, forgot about that.

I also made some changes to the failure levels. Each one now has a slightly different set of locked doors, and the final one has, instead of locked doors, a bunch of lights and the exit terminal disabled until you fix them :-) I even wrote a lua script to drain your oxygen when you go out on a spacewalk.

Code: Select all

Triggers = {}

function Triggers.idle()
  for p in Players() do
    if p.polygon.media then
      p.oxygen = p.oxygen - 4
    end
    if p.oxygen <= 0 then
      p:damage(350, "suffocation")
    end
  end
end
The same two switch polygons, chip, vacbob, and a guard bob have been added to the earlier failures to let you know there's something to do with them later. Also fixed several untextured walls.
ThePhilosophyofTimeTravel_0003.jpeg
So that's it as for me as far as things I want to do that affect gameplay during the story! I'm ready to feature-freeze if feature-freeze means I can still make non-gameplay-affecting writing and illustration edits, and possibly adding a carnage level or two.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Thanks Lia! I’m unclear, does this PR include the last of the little texture alignment bug fixes that I passed off to Aaron, or are some of those still to come?

Also I’d like to wait for your additional illustrations etc to be finished before we call it a feature freeze. I think Aaron still has things he wants to finish first too (besides possibly that alignment stuff) so we’re not at feature freeze time yet anyway.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I don't know what he's done or what you needed, I just copied in the maps and scripts he sent me on discord yesterday. That included:

• Hysterical Womb
• A Friend in Need
• Unlucky Pfhor Some
• Second to Last of the Mohicans

Unfortunately I can't really help on fine alignment stuff, it's too much on my carpal tunnels.