Eternal X 1.2

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Thanks!
The Man
Vidmaster

Now that I’m not completely incoherent from illness, I’ve remembered a few other things we may want to fix before calling it a final release:
  • The network HUD issue. This is game-breaking, and if we’re officially going to support network play at all, I think it’s essential to fix it. I haven’t really taken a serious look at this and have no idea what would be needed to fix it, but it might be the most important item on this list. I also have no idea how long it would take to fix, for the exact same reason.
  • Windows performance issues in 1.2.1 and 1.3. Given that even Treellama doesn’t have any idea what’s wrong here, I don’t know if there’s much hope of fixing this, but I haven’t followed some of the troubleshooting steps yet. I can give this a better look in a few days. If we can’t fix it, there should be a caveat in the readme file that the game won’t work at all in Windows 1.2.1 with all the plugins enabled, and that it will work at best sporadically in 1.3.
  • A few gameplay balance issues I never got around to solving, all but one of which can be fixed in no more than five minutes per level. I can submit these probably no later than Sunday. From memory, the chapter three and four failure dreams are brutal in network games, so I’d reduce the Banshee spawn rate (I think it’s 100%; I’d probaly drop it to 50%), “Bug-Eyed in Space” needs a recharger closer to the start point to make it fairer from scratch starts, and “Unwired” should have a few more rechargers added to make it less tedious. The latter is the only one that would take more than a few minutes to solve.
Beyond all that I’d like to go through all the levels at least once more in co-op mode before calling it a day, but I suppose that’s not essential, since they all have been tested at least once.

…I think there may also be a couple parts of “Bug-Eyed” and “Once More Unto the Breach” that don’t currently match each other, but that can probably be a 1.3 thing, since I expect only about three people to notice it.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I replied to the discussion of this on the Discord already before noticing you'd posted here, so for posterity I'm copying what I wrote on Discord here:

the idea is that everything that was planned for the 1.2 release is already done so as long as it's not completely unplayable then yeah just put it out as soon as playability is confirmed. that doesn't mean no bugs can be fixed along the way though; I expect some bugs to be found and fixed while testing this. so yeah aaron if you want to submit a few last-minute quick fixes to things you already know need fixing over the weekend that's fine; Lia just now sent in a fix for a small bug in Grotto. The HUD hasn't changed since 1.1 though so that's a big problem that didn't stop a "final" release before and it shouldn't stop a "final" now, and the Windows slowdown thing is some huge intractable mess that might be more AO's fault than Eternal's (since it works fine on Mac and Linux, and the same data files should work the same on every platform), so I'm not going to wait on that.
The Man
Vidmaster

Right, fair. I’ll try to get the last few gameplay balance changes submitted within the next three days or so. Thanks.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
The Man
Vidmaster

Just for the record, I think my stomach flu has probably subsided now. I'll take a look at the script problem tonight, along with those gameplay changes. I have a note from my doctor essentially excusing me from the past two weeks, so I have a temporary reprieve on that front and feel a bit less panicked now.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Glad you're feeling better Aaron :)

My own illness (the wave of it that started the weekend before last, at least) seems to be finally subsiding, as well.
raptor200221
Born on Board

I can confirm that the game is complete-able, and it runs well. I have only encountered two error so far, and both of those were on maps with precipitation. The maps "A Friend in Need" and "The Incredible Hulk" both have an issue where save files from those maps will not reload at all, and this is pretty game breaking. Basically, you cannot die on either of those maps or else it will crash. Also, there are two big missing textures that need fixed. A major wall texture is missing in the map "Third Rock From Lhowon".This specific texture is very noticeable, and is in the main battle area with the constant waves of enemies. Also, a minor ceiling texture is missing on "Pfhor Far Laam". Finally, in the map "My Kingdom Pfhor A Horse", There is a wall texture missing in the first area. Other than that, it is completely ready for release.
"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history"-Georg Hegel
||Legends of Marathon Net Maps|| ||Eternal Legends of Marathon Net Maps||
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Thanks for the test report, Raptor! Can you give us polygon numbers for those two missing textures? Go there, and press F10 to pull up statistics.

As for the save problem, I believe in each of the precipitation scripts and preferably in the 01000.txt script, the following line should be added to triggers.init:

Code: Select all

Game.proper_item_accounting = true
Somehow I thought that was already done or I'd have done it this weekend, sorry. Maybe tomorrow evening I can get it.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Thanks Raptor!

And thanks for taking care of those things, Lia.

Aaron, I know you had some tiny little minor fixes you wanted to fit in under the wire too. Hopefully you can get those to Lia before she gets these fixes in too and then we can call this thing final. Otherwise those will have to wait for the next version since they're apparently not game-breaking.
raptor200221
Born on Board

so, I got those polygons written down, and they are as follows; My Kingdom Pfhor A Horse: polygon 463; Third Rock From Lhowon: polygon 143; Pfhor Far Laam: polygon 386.
"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history"-Georg Hegel
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Thanks Raptor! I've fixed those walls,added the necessary code to hopefully fix the save bug (worked in one quick test), reorganised the lua on Wrk's advice, fixed another bug on Philosophy of Time Travel, and hopefully got mediafog working in multiplayer.

I would like to perform one more test of the above, in multiplayer, before calling this final.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Sounds good to me! Thanks a bunch Lia. I've accepted your pull requests and I'll await your OK after that multiplayer test (or if you find me on Discord, I'll join you for it) and then call this finally Final. :-)
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I think we have a problem.

I was just attempting to confirm that the levels with precipitation can reload properly now, and I guess that's the first time I've tried playing them since you added the precipitation scripts at the end of the year when I was super sick and incapacitated.

They make the game completely, unplayable slow for me. Even if I switch to software mode, I get like 1fps.

[ETA: I managed to test it anyway with console commands to save my game and kill myself, then reload, and it still crashes like Raptor reported]

Since that's a script built into the map file and not something that can be toggled off, I think we should just scrap precipitation for now, so that 1.2 can proceed with all of the stuff that it was initially meant to have, and not get held up on this problem. Precipitation can be a feature for the next release, if we can figure that problem out by then.

Lia, if you wouldn't mind removing that and sending me a PR, I'd appreciate it.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

:-C

And here I thought it was just windows machines that had difficulty. Et tu, Apple?

Are you absolutely sure you're running clean, nothing in the background, no plugins that shouldn't be? If my 12 year old machine can handle it without trouble, surely a Mac should!

The precipitation is *so* *awesome*, I hate to see it put on the back burner. Narcogen and Blackstar have been waiting to do a lets play, and I'd really love to see them have all the eye candy. Would you be open to having two maps, one with a slimmed down set of Lua features and one with the works? I'll make a separate branch in my repo for the tricked out version of the map file.

I guess if precipitation isn't even working for you, my little all-nighter distraction into vacuum scripting on the failure dreams is right out, and we might have to simplify the Jjarro weapon code. Pity, it's disturbingly entertaining to watch the Pfhor and humans alike run for their lives while trading fire when you open the airlock.

At minimum, paring things down will push back the release. I was hoping we could call it today.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Okay, I've made my last fixes and removed precipitation. PR up: https://github.com/Pfhorrest/Eternal/pull/55

I noticed a file missing from 1.2-b10. This less-than-1kb "clear.png" needs to go in the Eternal-Data/Shapes/ folder.
clear.png
clear.png (908 Bytes) Viewed 6678 times
Additionally, Scripts/weapons.mml has been updated. Since you are now immune to Jjaro weapon damage when weilding a Jjaro weapon, I had to nerf the grav blade kick to prevent players in cooperative and carnage games from clipping into the void when hit with grav blades while holding a jjaro weapon. Unfortunately, this means monsters will no longer be significantly thrown by the weapon. Watch out for Hunters...

Regarding the mediafog commit: Previously, on levels with more than one type of liquid, the fog colour would change upon jumping in a liquid in only on single-player, while in cooperative games it stayed the same. Now, in a cooperative game, the under-liquid fog will change to the colour of the media that the first player falls into. As long as that player stays under that liquid, all players will see this colour when they jump into any liquid, until all players come up for air. Once everyone is out, it resets, and the colour will change when the next person falls into something. This creates some capacity for dynamic colour changes, and the colours will be consistent if players stick together, while preventing colours from flickering as people jump in and out of media. There is the potential for some bad results, but IMHO it's better than just having the wrong colour all the time.

As mentioned earlier, opening doors to space on the failure levels will result in partial level depressurisation and panic amongst non-vacuum-enabled personnel. As it is currently written, if these levels are revised in the future the script will need to be updated if any polygons are deleted or certain platform heights or behaviors changed.

To preserve precipitation and earlier mechanics for those who want them, I've created several branches to my fork, with merged maps therein:

precipitaion has both the campaign and the netmap as they are in master, but with precipitation.
Merged campaign map - see edit below
Merged netmap

jjaro-carnage has, by request, the netmaps with the earlier jjaro weapon mechanics, where you are only immune to your own splash damage and not the shots of others.
Merged netmap

carnage-precip has both precipitation and older jjaro weapon mechanics.
Merged netmap

EDIT

Thanks to some help from Wrkncacnter, I was able to properly recreate, and then fix the save-restore bug on my precipitation branch. There's slightly less code, and I was actually able to significantly increase the precipitation on three maps where it was too light.
Merged campaign with fixed precipitation
This won't fix Pfhorrest's slowdown, but it should fix Raptor's crashes.

EDIT 2

Latest changes rolled into the merged campaign map, link should be the same
Last edited by ravenshining on Mar 19th '19, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Thanks a bunch Lia! I won't have time to check this over until Monday night but hopefully I will get to it then and it will all check out and then we can finally call 1.2 "final".
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

So for those not following Discord, over the weekend Aaron got a few last-minute fixes in, and Lia had a few more, and I was going to check those things and package it all up for distribution tonight, but this morning Raptor revealed that he had not actually played through every level in the scenario, only the success branch.

So, I'm still waiting on confirmation from someone that they can play through every level in the game before I call this final and ship it.
xanderdavis
Born on Board

Hi Pfhorrest! I sent a PM but I'll go ahead and post it here too: I love Marathon Eternal! Amazing work. I played through most of it when I was first developing VAST in Summer 2017. I got caught in a loop hehe... I want to pick up playing it again soon once I have more time. Great addition to the Marathon continuum! :)

Also I'm really impressed with your writing. Awesome stuff. I especially liked your 'How it Should Have Gone' for the Matrix Trilogy. [MUp]
I may or may not be working on something. https://www.xanderdavis.studio
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Thanks Xander! I really appreciate hearing that, and glad that you liked my other writing on my website too. If you enjoyed that "How The Matrix Should Have Gone", you'll probably also like the "Virtuality Transcendent" series from my Chronicles of Quelouva, which draws a lot of thematic structure from it. (Though since it's near the end of the Chronicles, it probably won't make a lot of sense unless you've already read the rest of them).
xanderdavis
Born on Board

Awesome-- I'll check it out! :)
I may or may not be working on something. https://www.xanderdavis.studio
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I've played through the failure branches for Chapter 1 and Chapter 3 (starting on the branch point, failing the mission, ending when returned to the branch point). Several bugs found and fixed on Chapter 1, Chapter 3 is golden.

• On Unwired, there were a number of monsters trapped on teleporter polygons in inaccessible areas. These polygons have been changed to ouch and flooded with lava, freeing the monsters while still preventing a suicide trap. Appropriate MML has been copied in from Heart of Fusion.

• On Roots and Radicals, the radar display was not functioning, and Durandal's circuits were destroyable by using the action key through the door. Also, I hopefully fixed a split door, and the back side of the teleporter door is now properly textured.

Note that Scripts/media.mml has been updated. It previously tried to make liquids transluscent in the software renderer, which isn't possible, and fails to make them translucent in opengl without the HD plugin.

As a reminder, Scripts/weapons.mml was updated earlier, and Eternal-Data/Shapes/clear.png is missing from beta 10 and should not be.

Pull Request
Updated precipitation variant map
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Thanks Lia! Those are merged in now.

Do we know that those are the two chapters that Raptor hadn't played? He told me on Discord he had played the "Durandal", "Tycho", and "Hathor" branches, which I would guess mean the failure branches of chapters 1, 2, and 5, respectively. Which would put chapters 3 and 4 as the two he hadn't played, and now that you've tested 3, that just leaves 4, I think? Unless you talked to him further and found out it's really 1 and 3 he missed?
ravenshining
Vidmaster

He specifically referred to Run, Coward! as a level he did not play - our trying to get him to talk about it was how we figured out he hadn't played all the levels - so at least Chapter 4, preferably the version on Git, still needs a thorough play-testing.
raptor200221
Born on Board

so, I did not do the S'*** happens fail branch, or the Dread not failure branch.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Just wondering if anyone's had a chance to run through the chapter 4 failure branch. I meant to do it myself after Lia clarified that that's all that's left to check but I haven't even been able to find time to do that, so if anyone else can get around to it before I manage to find that time that'd be awesome.