Xbox One controller - Aleph One?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
RE7
Spazeroid

Is it possible to use an xbox one controller with marathon aleph one? I tried but it was very not working. Sorry for the noob question
treellama
Vidmaster

Try the beta version, it might work better.
RE7
Spazeroid

thanks for the reply. one more quick q. anyone know if theres a freecam mod or walk through walls mod
ravenshining
Vidmaster

As far as camera controls go, F6 toggles between 1st and 3rd person view, and in multiplayer, backspace (I think?) cycles between player views.

You cannot walk through walls because of the way 5-D space works. There could be multiple areas on the "other side" of a wall and no way for the engine to tell which one you want unless they're already connected, and the area occupied by the wall itself doesn't really exist.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

RE7 wrote:thanks for the reply. one more quick q. anyone know if theres a freecam mod or walk through walls mod
Is that "walk through walls" as in fake walls or exiting the bounds of the map? Raven Shining has answered the latter scenario, as trying to wander the HOM void would cause issues in 5D space, which is also probably why entering the underside of a polygon allows you to leave, but it pushes you back up on top of the polygon like in Tomb Raider.

Walking through fake walls already exists in the engine. I can't remember how it's set up, but it's there. An example of a level using this is the waterfall at the start of Tempus Irae's Towel Boy map. There's also a pair of waterfalls in The Dead Live In the Catacombs in Eternal that I assume work the same way.
RE7
Spazeroid

Hey sorry for the late reply but I just saw it. One example I was thinking of was the beginning of Durandal 2 (Waterloo Waterpark). You can see the water outside of the walls. I guess I was just wondering if it would be possible to get out there. I guess you would have to use a cheat or a map editor or something. So I guess things you can see but might not be able to get to.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

That kind of thing should be possible, but I dunno if it exists.
$lave

Closest I can think of is the function in VML that lets you pick a polygon and teleport to it. I'm sure that code could be used in single player.
RE7
Spazeroid

Thanks got it to work. [MUp] Didn't take me too long to figure it out. http://simplici7y.com/items/visual-mode-lua
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

i have a dim memory that in the windows version of the marathon 2 map set, it's possible to be teleported into the water, where your options are then to reset or to drown and then reset.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

From what I've seen of the win95 map file, that shouldn't be possible.

I did make my own version that, along with adding music, fog, and a few split polys, does add a way for you to explore those pools. Since A1 doesn't have the long distance view problems that prevented you from going there in the original, and can have transparent doors, I turned the grate that stops you from entering from the treatment pools in the west into a door, then added a secret way out in the east. I haven't published it but a few people might have it and I'll pm it to anyone who asks.