ETERNAL IS NOT CANON IN THE MARATHON STORY.

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Stop citing Eternal or any other scenario as a legitimate source for facts in the Marathon universe, since the creators made the whole thing up. Thank you.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 25th '07, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Win sticky is win.

The Marathon story consists of:

Pathways Into Darkness
Marathon 1 (Tau Ceti) (M1A1, but not the secret comic)
Marathon 2: Durandal
Marathon Infinity: Blood Tides of Lh'owon
The Lost Network Packets

Rubicon is not Marathon's story. Halo is not Marathon's story. Eternal is definitely not Marathon's story.
We built this city on Marathon. Please keep our city clean.
Last edited by kineticturtle on Feb 25th '07, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

what has pathways do to with marathon?
Last edited by goran on Feb 25th '07, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Stop citing Eternal or any other scenario as a legitimate source for facts in the Marathon universe, since the creators made the whole thing up. Thank you.
Hey, guy, i'm sorry i made a mistake ok?
Drictelt wrote:As far as i understood, the jjarro were humans that escaped the universe to become gods... But is anything known about their powers?
besides, do you see the 'as far as i understood'? It means i wasnt sure.

oh, and goran, i think (im not sure though) that they are fighting creatures there generated by the wrkncacnter
Last edited by Drictelt on Feb 25th '07, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
goran
Vidmaster

ah, so that's what it is about. Then wrkcacner would be like somekind of satan, because most creatures in pid look like demons from hell.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Drictlet, it's not like that instance is the first (or last) time wherein someone cited Rubicon or Eternal or any other scenario to try and explain how the original Trilogy works.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

goran wrote:what has pathways do to with marathon?
PID includes the Jjarro, and also the dreaming god could be the W'rk. So PID happens in the same universe as 'thon.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Johannes Gunnar wrote:PID includes the Jjarro, and also the dreaming god could be the W'rk. So PID happens in the same universe as 'thon.
Yes. PID has enough connections to the Marathon story to be considered a part of it, but unlike Halo, a connection has not been denied by Bungie (although I read somewhere that Alex Seropian said something about the marine and the Master Chief being the same person, but that's unsubstantiated).
Drictelt
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Drictlet, it's not like that instance is the first (or last) time wherein someone cited Rubicon or Eternal or any other scenario to try and explain how the original Trilogy works.
Yeah well, whatever... I was already quite pissed off yesterday eve and it didnt make it better :) Nevertheless, i rather said that to verify if i was right than to inform other people about the jjarro.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
infestedsmith
Cyborg

I DO seem to hear Eternal quoted quite often as the "Book of Marathon", especially on the Story Forum. We all need to remember that our TCs are just TCs, even if they continue the story, they are not the one-and-only continuation of the storyline. My TC could start where Rubicon started and yet reach a totally different conclusion.
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Good lord, someone explain marathon infinity to me. I did not understand it AT ALL.
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

3 things:

1: what are the jjaro?

2: what is wr'k

3: wtf happened to Durandal

4: one large post would be really nice, instead of a billion people screaming at me.

5: what is up with the electric sheep lvls?

6: what is up with the shadow/slowmoving/invincible sph't k'r level?

7: why does every other level have an exit to the last level?

8: who was drunk when they came up with the storyline?

9: why do the bobs like me then hate me then like me?

10: why do the various alien factions like me then hate me then like me?

11: why can't tycho DIE the like the billion times that durandal has

12: did tycho die?

13: that's about it, i think

14: whoops, way more than 3 things
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

http://marathon.bungie.org/story/

There are links in this site for basically all of your questions.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

well then. call me stupid! : )
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Bump/Double Post:

Isn't there a PiD2?
Can't speel for hist.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Phortiphy wrote:3 things:
Answer to questions 1 thru 14: Try reading the goddamn terminals next time.
Phortiphy wrote:well then. call me stupid! : )
Stupid.
Phortiphy wrote:Bump/Double Post:
EDIT YOUR GODDAMN POSTS
Isn't there a PiD2?
No.
qwaring
Born on Board

Johannes Gunnar wrote:PID includes the Jjarro, and also the dreaming god could be the W'rk. So PID happens in the same universe as 'thon.
Also it's my understanding that Marathon was made to be the sequel to Pathways into Darkness.
Iritscen
Cyborg

The one thing I don't understand is why Eternal says it's chapter 5. Is this one of those nonlinear timetraveling dealios, or was there another TC that pronounced itself Chapter 4 already and I missed it? Was it Tempus Irae? Did someone assemble a timeline for the TCs or are they all just unrelated? Is it possible to go back in time and kill whoever (whomever?) invented Marathon levels with rising lava? Wow, I just listed multiple questions after saying I didn't understand one particular thing. How hypocritical. Also, if I am stupid and missed a link that explains all the above, would you please not call me STUPID in all caps? Lower case will suffice. kthx.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Eternal itself has multiple chapters, but each release includes the previous chapters as well.
At least that's how it worked last time I cared about Eternal.
Iritscen
Cyborg

Yeah, I just found that out after posting. I take it then that no TCs are connected in terms of storyline to any others?

Eternal drove me insane, too. I think my copy of A1 was breaking it, or else I was too dumb to figure out what I was supposed to do. I got sick of looping and just started skipping levels to progress. Then again, I had to do that in Infinity, too. [MFrown] Sorry, OT.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I take it then that no TCs are connected in terms of storyline to any others?
Rubicon is the most related to the Marathon Trilogy, and some people claim it as the unofficial sequel, and Squadron is a sequel of sorts to Rubicon. So you have those two.

Eternal... I'm not sure how Eternal works, except that it is a different sequel to the Trilogy, but because it's such a different experience, it's not really thought of as "the" sequel, at least not as far as I know.

EVIL takes place in some distant time after the Trilogy. We don't know anything else except that I'm pretty sure it's the same Marine. EVIL itself is a sequel to a small Infinity scenario called Siege of Nor'Korh.

Excalibur is not affiliated with the Marathon universe. RED is, somehow, but it's not related story-wise and none of the characters are the same, including the Marine. All I know is that there are Pfhor on the first level, iirc.

The Gray Incident is also sort of a sequel to the Trilogy, but not heavily. It's sort of affiliated with Portal of Sigma as well, but again, not really.
Iritscen
Cyborg

Ah, interesting. Thanks.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Eternal... I'm not sure how Eternal works, except that it is a different sequel to the Trilogy, but because it's such a different experience, it's not really thought of as "the" sequel, at least not as far as I know.
Thanks to the time-travel nature of its story, Eternal takes place between the end of Infinity and... the end of Infinity. It's designed so that any sequel to Infinity could also be considered a sequel to Eternal, since it begins and ends at the same moment in time. Everything that happens in the story, happens either in the past (and ends up creating the history already known from the original Trilogy), in alternate timelines, or in a dystopian future which should be avoided if at all possible, ending up with the player and Durandal departing to the end of the Last Battle of Lh'owon (the end of Infinity) in an effort to prevent that future.

In particular, I try not to step on Rubicon's toes, and the several possible bittersweet endings to Rubicon tie in nicely with the sort of doom forewarned of in Eternal's epilogue.

Also, Blayne and I have conversed a good bit about Marathon story stuff, and I think he was (at least at some point) making effort to make WMAiD compatible with the Eternal version of the Marathon universe, though not directly tied in. But we haven't really talked in a while so things may have changed since then.

Eternal also has small references to RED in it; the W'rkncacnter at Lh'owon speaks to you in a failure timeline in Chapter 3, using the same style of broken speech as the W'rkncacnter from RED. I once considered having the Flood-like enemies I wanted for Chapter 5 be the Organics from RED, but decided against that for some reason I don't now recall, to use PiD monsters instead.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Oct 12th '07, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
acks45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Phortiphy wrote:3 things:
1: what are the jjaro?
2: what is wr'k
3: wtf happened to Durandal
4: one large post would be really nice, instead of a billion people screaming at me.
6: what is up with the shadow/slowmoving/invincible sph't k'r level?
7: why does every other level have an exit to the last level?
8: who was drunk when they came up with the storyline?
9: why do the bobs like me then hate me then like me?
10: why do the various alien factions like me then hate me then like me?
11: why can't tycho DIE the like the billion times that durandal has
12: did tycho die?
13: that's about it, i think
14: whoops, way more than 3 things
1:nobody knows, its like that pink stuff you put on sushi.
2:that stuff you do when you graduate and get a job.... or its what you see when you order at hooters.(depending on who you ask)
3:he now resides in my DS's flashcart frantically trying to grow beyond the 8gb I have allowed his existance to continue within.
6:there were no s'pht'kr in that level. The s'pht'kr are a lie.
7:thats not the last level. its a detour due to construction.
8:eliza. she's still in counselling because of it.
9:idk, ask tycho.
10:idk, ask durandal.
11:because I keep him backed up in my mp3 player.
12:no. see 11.