Help!

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.

Post Jun 11th '07, 19:12

Right, so I stopped making maps for awhile, and I wanted to give it a shot today. I open up Basilisk (I'm running Windows XP, by the way), open Forge (1.2), and create a simple 2-polygon room. I place a spawn-point, and when I hit 'Visual Mode,' Basilisk shuts itself down and I'm back on my desktop. The same thing happens if I use the Textures > Floor/Ceiling thing, too. Everything used to work fine, and I have no idea how to fix this problem. Any ideas?

stunt_man

Post Jun 11th '07, 19:54

Didn't work...

I'll see if Marathon works... Maybe it's a rendering thing...

stunt_man

Post Jun 11th '07, 20:42

Try setting the Mac OS to 256 colors before entering Forge.

Also, maybe allocate more RAM to Forge, or turn off virtual memory.
Last edited by Zott on Jun 11th '07, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jun 11th '07, 22:36

I did all those things, and there's no difference. I'm running Forge 1.0.2, and it seems that the problem only lies in this version. Unfortunately, I need to use this version, because there are bugs in the later versions (as I'm sure you know). I opened up Forge 1.0.3 and 1.0.4, and I can enter 'Visual Mode' using them. I was also able to play the game... So weird... I'll try re-installing Forge 1.0.2, then get back to you.

stunt_man

Post Jun 11th '07, 23:10

stunt_man wrote:I did all those things, and there's no difference. I'm running Forge 1.0.2, and it seems that the problem only lies in this version. Unfortunately, I need to use this version, because there are bugs in the later versions (as I'm sure you know).

The only bug I'm aware of is the inability to "nuke all objects" in 1.0.4 as opposed to 1.0.2; in all other ways, 1.0.4 is vastly superior as it fixes all of the instabilities that cause the world to end.

If there's other reasons that you need to use 1.0.2, you could always do all the visual jazz in 1.0.4 and then use 1.0.2 for the 2-D stuff. Why you'd need to is beyond me but maybe nuking objects rocks your world.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~

epstein
North Carolina

Post Jun 12th '07, 02:51

Epstein, often, on Basilisk, 1.0.4 has serious issues with numbers. I have the feeling it's the m68k emulation, but entering numbers into, for example, heights, gives you some really messed up decimals. I have to use Forge 1.0.1 to do just about everything, and then I merge using 1.0.4.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jun 12th '07, 23:04

Looks like I'm going to have to do it your way, it's still not working... By the way, is there any way to fix that problem with 1.0.4 and Basilisk?

stunt_man

Post Jun 13th '07, 07:05

You could try sheepshaver, though I think it might still have the problem. Then again, I havn't tried mapping in Batilisk II or Sheepshaver for so long, since I have a OS 9 Mac in front of me.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Return to Editors, Emulation, Etcetera