JUICE

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

a 'bug' and a question

-Can you mass delete objects?
-In the open file window, if you click on an alias of a map, it doesnt open the map the alias points at, but the map before, so you have to search it twice.

Now guess which is which...
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
treellama
Vidmaster

Drictelt wrote:-In the open file window, if you click on an alias of a map, it doesnt open the map the alias points at, but the map before, so you have to search it twice.
Neither of the JUICE developers uses a platform which supports aliases, and I don't believe Java can handle them, so I suggest you don't use them. Symlinks are much less evil anyway :)
Last edited by treellama on Jun 22nd '07, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

You can't mass-delete objects. I think it's a good idea, though, and next time we work on JUICE, it shouldn't be hard at all to add. Note, however, that we are taking a break from developing JUICE. Instead, we're working on some other games/editors :) Anyway, go to the JUICE project on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/juiceforge) and add a feature request.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
simulacrum
Born on Board

I love JUICE's visual mode [MLaugh]
irons
Vidmaster

azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
HogePiyo
Cyborg

SiMuLaCrUm wrote:I love JUICE's visual mode [MLaugh]
I was surprised irons already had done with Visual Mode. and check JUICE.
Then I recognized irons is good one who buries easter eggs. [MLaugh]

I wonder irons create Map Editor completely with Java before I will. [MGrin]
SourceForge.net Project
-JUICE ( Released from irons )
-Map Editor One J ( in progress )
-Terminal Editor One J ( in progress )
-Physics Editor One J ( latest version downloadable from FileBall)
-------------------
SourceForge.jp Releases
-Map Viewer One
-Physics Editor One
-Map Demerger One
-------------------
My web site
[HogePiyo's Tools Download Page]|
-------------------
avator image from : http://source.bungie.org/content/content_c...avid_Simon.html
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I'm on a mac, (OSX) how do i find my file address (for the filepath in JUICE's prefs)?
Last edited by Phortiphy on Jun 25th '07, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

HogePiyo wrote:I was surprised irons already had done with Visual Mode. and check JUICE.
Then I recognized irons is good one who buries easter eggs. [MLaugh]

I wonder irons create Map Editor completely with Java before I will. [MGrin]
I'm glad you liked VISUAL MODE too :) If you want to use JUICE as the back-end for Map Editor One Java, you are free to do so. Otherwise, I have to tell you that I do not plan on creating a full graphical editor. JUICE will be finished when the back-end (not GUI) can read and write all the types of map data.

Phortiphy wrote:I'm on a mac, (OSX) how do i find my file address (for the filepath in JUICE's prefs)?
It depends on your user name. Let's say your user name with spaces and stuff is Booger Man. OS X usually puts your name into one word for the "UNIX" style login, so the login would instead be boogerman. Assuming, for example, that your maps are in the Maps folder on the Desktop, the path would be this:

/Users/boogerman/Desktop/Maps

However, if you have it somewhere not in your user folder (e.g. in the Applications folder somewhere), it would be different. Let's say you have a Maps folder inside the Infinity folder in Applications. The path would then be:

/Applications/Infinity/Maps
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I am going to have a fucking huuuuuuge filepath.
Last edited by Phortiphy on Jun 25th '07, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

This is now beyond the scope of the help I will provide for JUICE.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Wow, quick post. Go ahead and talk about other JUICY things now.
Can't speel for hist.
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

Can you JUICE up a map to have two liquids that are right beside each other, for example alien goo and lava? Would that cause errors in A1? It would be cool to have two kinds of lava, one that did normal damage and one that did 2x damage or something.
treellama
Vidmaster

Volcanon wrote:Can you JUICE up a map to have two liquids that are right beside each other, for example alien goo and lava? Would that cause errors in A1? It would be cool to have two kinds of lava, one that did normal damage and one that did 2x damage or something.
You don't need JUICE for that:
http://67.96.53.196:3001/map/20/show
(done in Pfhorge)

Of course, if you'd read the entire topic, you'd know there's a media editor in the works for JUICE
Last edited by treellama on Jun 26th '07, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

JUICE is once again underway. Treellama has given me a really good reason to work on it that I won't reveal just yet (until Treellama announces it). I also felt bad that the code for the backend is really confusing and has a lot of problems. There will also be a media editor and more soon.

If you're going to post about me coming back, or anything else off-topic, think twice. I don't give a shit about you, about playing games, or about coming back. If you have nothing relevant to say about JUICE, fuck off. Otherwise, we're open to questions and suggestions (primarily the former).
irons
Vidmaster

OK. It looks like Treellama already told some people on #a1 what we're planning. JUICE will allow mappers to add a shapes patch file into the map, which will then be transmitted in netgames. This way, at the very least, it will be possible to add extra textures to replace others in a map; at best, you'll be able to add custom weapon images, custom item stuff, etc. I imagine we'll put a size limit on the replacement file, so don't start thinking too crazy.
Zott
Vidmaster

Would this be a shapes patch file like the ones exported from Anvil or its own format, such as using mml integration somehow.

Also, will these replacement textures be transmitted over the internet? If so, I think we'll have to start thinking about a download while waiting for game to start option.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

that is indeed a good reason to work on JUICE again [MGrin]
Lookin' forward to the whole thing..
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Oct 14th '07, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
irons
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:Would this be a shapes patch file like the ones exported from Anvil or its own format, such as using mml integration somehow.
It's a straight Anvil patch file.
Also, will these replacement textures be transmitted over the internet? If so, I think we'll have to start thinking about a download while waiting for game to start option.
Yes, they will go to all players in a network game (that's why we chose to embed them in the map file--all chunks are transmitted automatically). So far, the file size limit we've chosen is 256KB. With a decent host, it won't be too much of a wait, and Treellama has found that roughly 12 add-on textures fit into this restriction.

Bobwithkeycard wrote: that is indeed a good reason to work on JUICE again [MGrin]
Lookin' forward to the whole thing..
Good to hear! We just did a test game and it worked flawlessly, although Treellama chose some really horrible textures.
Last edited by irons on Oct 14th '07, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

"I love you man!"
*boom!*
:)
EDIT: How is JUICE's visual mode coming along?
Last edited by Phortiphy on Oct 15th '07, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:EDIT: How is JUICE's visual mode coming along?
We don't fix things that aren't broken.
megabyte
Vidmaster

irons wrote:OK. It looks like Treellama already told some people on #a1 what we're planning. JUICE will allow mappers to add a shapes patch file into the map, which will then be transmitted in netgames. This way, at the very least, it will be possible to add extra textures to replace others in a map; at best, you'll be able to add custom weapon images, custom item stuff, etc. I imagine we'll put a size limit on the replacement file, so don't start thinking too crazy.
will this happen for sounds as well?

what happens if you are using mml replaced shapes?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
irons
Vidmaster

I can't speak for Treellama, but I know I won't be adding sound patch capabilities. I'm not interested in that, especially because MML replacement sounds suffice for me.

From the looks of things, the embedded shapes will override MML replacement shapes. I think it makes sense.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:Yes, they will go to all players in a network game (that's why we chose to embed them in the map file--all chunks are transmitted automatically). So far, the file size limit we've chosen is 256KB. With a decent host, it won't be too much of a wait, and Treellama has found that roughly 12 add-on textures fit into this restriction.
sounds reasonable. Does this restriction apply to solo games as well, though? Cause otherwise it'd be pretty sweet for the scenario designers...new wall textures 'n stuff with a single file and it could be a bit of a new era for the creation of mini-scenarios.
Cause to my experience if ppl are being forced to dl & install a crapload of patches and stuff or a 12 mbyte shapes file and there are like two new things in it...that is rather disappointing...so what a brave new world this could be :)

On another note: how about boosting the max file size to 512kb or something in that area, then it'd be possible to play in a complete custom texture set ( like new 30 textures ). So one could play in M1 walls for instance..just for a single map..and without having to have M1A1 installed.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
irons
Vidmaster

The 256KB limit is only an idea, but we are cautious about raising it to something higher. If a scenario needs a lot of textures or shapes, it should really just use a new shapes file. Most netmappers don't really feel like inserting tons of new textures, anyway; you might be surprised how few we tend to use in a single map. Also, remember that the larger the file can be, the more one can abuse it.

EDIT: also remember that this limit is per level, and 17 textures per level is a lot.
Last edited by irons on Oct 15th '07, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Will this be for textures only?