Marathon Mayhem Tournament

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
megabyte
Vidmaster

we should have a tournament like this.
except with different divisions like emfh, ktmwtb, ctf, koth, tag
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

YES. That would honestly be awesome. Myth players have their annual "Myth World Cup." Lets have a Marathon Mayhem Tournament.

BTW: Megabyte, I still have the original sticker from my M2 box that is your avatar. lol.
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I disapprove of that system, but I'm all for tournaments. We don't really have 108 people lying around anyway, so the system would have to be restructured.

If there's interest in a tournament, I do have a tourney system lying around that I could procure...
The Thug
Vidmaster

OH YEAH!! I've been waiting for a marathon tournament all my life. Yeah! This is going to be awesome!!
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
megabyte
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:I disapprove of that system, but I'm all for tournaments. We don't really have 108 people lying around anyway, so the system would have to be restructured.

If there's interest in a tournament, I do have a tourney system lying around that I could procure...
what is your system?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
[viral]
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well, my system requires all games to be EMFH only, since it requires points to be accumulated across games. Also, a "match" consists of three games on three different maps. Each group of players in each tournament round will play the same maps (i.e. in the first round, every group will play Vulcan, YAFNM, and Melatonin; in the second round, every group will play Thrud, Thunderdome, and Fort Lhowon; etc.)

The "open" round:
There are six games in all, with players sorted as evenly as possible.
- The top two scorers at the end of the match move on (this means the accumulated point totals; if you end with +4, +11, and -2, your total score is +13). This only adds up to 12 players, though.
- The remaining players are all pooled together and the next highest four players are also moved on as wildcards.

After that, you end up with a standard bracket system. Each match has four players, seeded appropriately, and at the end of each match the top two scorers move on to the next round.

Simple enough, works for a variable number of players, and sees lots of games.
megabyte
Vidmaster

we should hold one of these soon. like in two weeks.
some maps that i think we should include:
Return to Thunderdome
Duality
Route 66 (604 or better version)
Last edited by megabyte on Jul 24th '07, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite quote
[viral]
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Don't host shitty stock maps.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Some stock maps (the aforementioned ones) arent bad at all. And King of Pain can be added aswell lol.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Don't host shitty stock maps.
Urge to flame rising... rising...
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Some stock maps (the aforementioned ones) arent bad at all. And King of Pain can be added aswell lol.
No, but they're stock maps, which means all of them lack good weapon balance. I wouldn't want my tournament life aborted because I could never find a gun -- that's putting too much in the hands of the map and good luck.

Are they good maps? Sure, but they're not good enough, given the other options out there.
megabyte
Vidmaster

some from windbreaker's pack would be good
Favorite quote
[viral]
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

There are plenty of packs with suitable maps. All it would really take is for a tournament administrator to go around, collect suitable maps, and then merge them together for a tourney special.
Switch
Vidmaster

I was against all that ladder stuff earlier, but I think a tournament would be pretty kickass as long as everyone was in good spirits about the whole thing. ( hey, at least most of you will be able to say you beat Appleswitch )

Anyways, any normal tourney would be pretty meh, but porting the Marathon Mayhem Legacy to the Aleph One online community would be pretty badass. Like the resurrection of something that wasn't really possible after marathon died down, but now through the online community can be reestablished.

I found references to it as ( and help me here Ancients, if we have any, all this is like an ancient ruin to me and most pfhorums kids ) the "Mayhem 2: The Olympics of Death - The 1995 Macworld Marathon 2 Tournament" and I can't find any after then. So I guess the most fitting name would be "Mayhem 3: The Olympics of Death - The 2007 Online Aleph One Tournament"? I'd love to vectorize some of these old badass stickers...
Last edited by Switch on Jul 25th '07, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

o, but they're stock maps, which means all of them lack good weapon balance. I wouldn't want my tournament life aborted because I could never find a gun -- that's putting too much in the hands of the map and good luck.
Are they good maps? Sure, but they're not good enough, given the other options out there.
Good point.
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

We should give a sizable suicide penalty like -3 or something. "Missle you and kill myself so you lose a point and I don't" is dumb.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Volcanon wrote:We should give a sizable suicide penalty like -3 or something. "Missle you and kill myself so you lose a point and I don't" is dumb.
I don't think we should do that. Sometimes people accidentally suicide and that rule would be unfair to them.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
megabyte
Vidmaster

we would need judges to validate the game by watching films of the matches
who should we elect?
Favorite quote
[viral]
Switch
Vidmaster

Megabyte wrote:we would need judges to validate the game by watching films of the matches
who should we elect?
lets not make this too serious
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Thug wrote:I don't think we should do that. Sometimes people accidentally suicide and that rule would be unfair to them.
Neh. Good players dont suicide enough for it to matter.
We might also use a map where spawn-killing is impossible.
Frosto
Spazeroid

-3 Points a little harsh for suicide. Then again it would cut down the kamakazies.

Also i have to disagree with volcanon. If it a close match, a accidental suicide is devastating to the player who accdently shot the wall with a rocket luncher.
Last edited by Frosto on Jul 26th '07, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Neh. Good players dont suicide enough for it to matter.
Ha ha ha... riiiight...
We might also use a map where spawn-killing is impossible.
No such map exists.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

So how are we going to choose participants?