Mayhem 3: The Olympics of Death

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
Dodopod
Cyborg

I made it (although I was half an hour late) but my internet connection quit. When I got it to work again I wasn't sure whether the tournament had started or not. Apparently it didn't. So when are we going to try this again? [spnkr]
Counter Attack on the Meta
treellama
Vidmaster

Kinetic Turtle wrote:This has been a rough few weeks for me, trying to balance life and art, and Marathon just hasn't really come into the equation much.
I hear that! I've been trying to balance Diablo 2, and Diablo 2.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I hear that! I've been trying to balance Diablo 2, and Diablo 2.
I hear that! I've been trying to balance doing nothing at all, and doing nothing related to Marathon.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

It might have actually helped if you were mor specific on the time. The 12th (today) I understood but I have no idea what everyones timezone is nor do i know how to find out so it might have helped to explain to me and eveybody else that doesn't live near you...
The world is filled with bastard covered bastards with bastard fillings.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|......, ] -
"(@)'(@)"""**|(@)(@)*** **''(@)

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
ThoasX015
Born on Board

-JC- wrote:It might have actually helped if you were mor specific on the time. The 12th (today) I understood but I have no idea what everyones timezone is nor do i know how to find out so it might have helped to explain to me and eveybody else that doesn't live near you...
Megabyte said 3PM Eastern...
Chirp Chirp.
Bang.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

I live Northwest er...western i guess....hell i don't know

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
The Thug
Vidmaster

Know your time zones.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Dodopod
Cyborg

Here is a time zone map:

When it's 3PM Eastern time, it's 2PM Central, 1PM Mountain, 12 Noon Pacific, 11AM in Alaska, and 10AM in Hawaii. If you live outside the US look at this map:

EDIT: You add the number at the bottom of your time zone to the time you need to convert from GMT (unless you live the UT+0 time zone).
Last edited by Dodopod on Dec 19th '07, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
Counter Attack on the Meta
The Thug
Vidmaster

You have said the cursed word!! AAHH!! Never say it again. I agree with you though, but it isn't going to be me.
treellama
Vidmaster

Dodopod wrote:When it's 3PM Eastern time, it's 2PM Central, 1PM Mountain, 12 Noon Pacific, 11AM in Alaska, and 10AM in Hawaii.
You're wrong. It's not *nearly* that easy to figure out what time it is. Many states and parts of Canada switch to daylight saving time in the summer, but some like Hawaii and Arizona do not. Some states even go piecemeal, such as Indiana. The fact that he specified the time in EST, which almost none of the east coast is currently using, it being summer, doesn't help either. You shouldn't make fun of this guy for not learning something in school that I challenge you to figure out without using a website or timezone calculator.

That said, this guy could have used a website or time zone calculator--it would have been even easier if the contest initiator had specified the time in a zone people are actually using, or even better, GMT. Since I know my time zone is GMT-4 (EDT) in the summer and GMT-5 (EST) in the winter, it would have been easy to figure out if he'd said 20:00 GMT rather than 15:00 EST that he meant 4 pm, Eastern Daylight Time.

Edit: Oh, I see, you were making fun of him for not even knowing what time zone he lives in. Which, being Alaska, is pretty funny. My point stands about the difficulty of calculating things when only given a local time, though.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 13th '07, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

As soon as i remember where the individual time zone settings are, we can all use GMT and do it then.
Can't speel for hist.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:You're wrong. It's not *nearly* that easy to figure out what time it is. Many states and parts of Canada switch to daylight saving time in the summer, but some like Hawaii and Arizona do not. Some states even go piecemeal, such as Indiana. The fact that he specified the time in EST, which almost none of the east coast is currently using, it being summer, doesn't help either. You shouldn't make fun of this guy for not learning something in school that I challenge you to figure out without using a website or timezone calculator.

That said, this guy could have used a website or time zone calculator--it would have been even easier if the contest initiator had specified the time in a zone people are actually using, or even better, GMT. Since I know my time zone is GMT-4 (EDT) in the summer and GMT-5 (EST) in the winter, it would have been easy to figure out if he'd said 20:00 GMT rather than 15:00 EST that he meant 4 pm, Eastern Daylight Time.

Edit: Oh, I see, you were making fun of him for not even knowing what time zone he lives in. Which, being Alaska, is pretty funny. My point stands about the difficulty of calculating things when only given a local time, though.
I'm 13, I have NEVER been to a school that even closely talks about Timezones. Its all the same crap. You cannot possibly expect me to know timezones...though it is true i don't know my timezone...but still who cares, thus so far I didn't need to know and now i do FOR A VIDEO GAME? Seriously.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
The Thug
Vidmaster

-JC- wrote:I'm 13, I have NEVER been to a school that even closely talks about Timezones. Its all the same crap. You cannot possibly expect me to know timezones...though it is true i don't know my timezone...but still who cares, thus so far I didn't need to know and now i do FOR A VIDEO GAME? Seriously.
How's one supposed to organize a tournament that involves people from all over the world without using timezones. Come on, it was written in big bold letters before the tournament: 3 pm EST. You could have just looked it up. Just make sure you come at the right time when we actually have the tournament.
soulblighter
Cyborg

I have to agree with The Thug.
If you are told a time and a timezone, do some research.
Find out what time it is in your own timezone.
[viral]
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

or go here and click on est and then calculate the difference between your time and est time.
Can't speel for hist.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

Are we even still gunna do this? This topic is like...dead and its looking like this torunament you guys too kthe time to set up isn't gunna happen. School has started for most of us that still go to school so...well if we're still gunna do this....

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
The Thug
Vidmaster

I hope we still do this. During a holiday would be the best time.
Some Guy
Born on Board

That would be great.
They say the mind twists and bends in order to deal with the horrors of life...
...Some times the mind bends so much it snaps in two.

All memory of your existence will be wiped from reality, you will die, and none will mourn.
flame
Born on Board

maybe around christmas
you'll be a hard luck woman, BAby till you find your man!
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

lol christmas.
Why dont you do it on Labour Day (the 3rd)?
megabyte
Vidmaster

because thats not enough warning
i think Christmas is good because almost everywhere gets it off
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
soulblighter
Cyborg

I think around Christmas would be a good time.
[viral]
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!
The Thug
Vidmaster

We will have some jolly buttkickings(and buttwhoopings for that matter) and lots of holiday carnage. Sounds like the spirit of Christmas to me!!
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

i will try to obtain a picture of a fruitcake to replace the rockets with
Can't speel for hist.