Xmas 3

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Hah, I should get into mapping. I just don't get inspiration for things that aren't gimmicks. Meh.
Can't speel for hist.
StoneClench
Cyborg

Valentines Day eh? I'm eager to see the final product.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Octavarium is the last level of the scenario. It's fairly short -- it's just a continuation of Panic Attack, and it can be completed in about five minutes. This is the second time in Xmas history that I've conjured up the big final showdown, and I think I executed it fairly well this time.

This wraps up the level-designing on my end, which means I'm still waiting on other people to finish up. Shadowbreaker -- you have yet to send me your third level, I believe, and you never addressed the issues that I sent when testing your first two. I don't know if you expect me to fix them for you, or what -- but I want to know what kind of progress you've made.

As for everyone else, by now I have tested your maps and sent comments. Most of you have updated your maps in some fashion, but if you haven't at least responded to my comments, please do so very soon. To Slave and Axle_Gear, who have recently sent me updated maps, I haven't actually looked at them yet but I will probably this weekend. I believe that leaves Drictelt, Shadowbreaker, and CryoS as far as addressing issues are concerned. Really, I just want to touch base and figure out what's going on so we can hurry up and get this nonsense over and done with.

Graphically, it looks like the scenario is ready to go, so here is what remains:
- Receiving final submissions from the other mappers
- Full beta-testing of the scenario as a whole
- Making the associated tweaks
- Writing terminals

I doubt it'll be done for Valentine's Day, which is kind of sad, but that's alright. We'll finish it when it's done.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Ive tweaked and resent my map a few days after i received your comments (although i dont know if youll be happy now). Apparently you didnt receive it so ill send it again.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
StoneClench
Cyborg

I'm certainly looking forward to it although, perhaps next year we could begin earlier, it is an Xmas project after all.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

what a novel idea! kudos to you, ill bet ryoko didn't think of that!
StoneClench
Cyborg

Yes, I'm sure anyone with an IQ below 163 is quite capable of figuring it out.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The initial delay was because, as it was originally Goran's project, I was expecting him to bring it up when the appropriate time came around. By the end of November, he hadn't, so I sent him an email about it. It seemed like he was a little too engrossed in Real Life Issues to handle the project, which is quite fine.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Unfortunately, Slave's map seems to continually crash on my computer. I can't figure out why, and it's really too late to be trying to figure this out, so I'm going to have to discard it. :( Really sorry about that one, Slave.

Since Shadowbreaker never did send me his third map, nor did he ever bother to update his first two, I'm going to have to go with his two and fix what I can.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 12th '08, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:I'm going to have to discard it.
Cant you simply let someone else merge the maps then? I suppose if slave tells you what his map is like, you should still be able to make up the story.
Or do you mean its crashing in aleph one? Thatd be quite bad, yes.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It's crashing in Aleph One.

It's alright, though; I mean, I hate to say it, but his was one of the less desirable ones. Definitely a good first effort, but from how far I got, the level was hideously confusing and really cheap.
CryoS
Vidmaster

forgive me for beeing confused (im 14 whadda ya expect?)
you have my map, and it works...
Y/N?
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

What's cryos' level's name?
Can't speel for hist.
CryoS
Vidmaster

it was/is Sersimon & grape, but i asked TK to change it to toxicity
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

:(
Can't speel for hist.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Unfortunately, Slave's map seems to continually crash on my computer. I can't figure out why, and it's really too late to be trying to figure this out, so I'm going to have to discard it. :( Really sorry about that one, Slave.

Since Shadowbreaker never did send me his third map, nor did he ever bother to update his first two, I'm going to have to go with his two and fix what I can.
Well I too have been given loads upon loads of real life issues to deal with. The map itself is finished, but I was having difficulty chipping off all of the problems and placing the monsters so they would be fun to kill. This one is a bit harder than my other two, and is rather non-linear. Most of the problem is making the tank guys not too cheap but the fighters not to easy.

I'll finish it when I get home then, it is another 1000 polygon map which will not really fit in my own scenario and would be a shame to throw away.

And Tbone, $lave, PR and I are 14 too, CryoS :P
CryoS
Vidmaster

correction: im 14 to the age and 3 to the intellectual thingy... ehm... yah!

edit: (fixed my last name? or is it 2 late?)
Last edited by CryoS on Feb 12th '08, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:And Tbone, $lave, PR and I are 14 too, CryoS :P
Nope, I'm 16.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Cryos: I have your map, it works fine.

Shadowbreaker: I'm writing the terminals tonight. If I actually work at it, I can have the scenario out on Thursday. That's only a month and a half late. If I don't have the map from you tomorrow, that's it. I don't want to wait around anymore.
$lave

RyokoTK wrote:It's crashing in Aleph One.
Damn, that's weird, doesn't crash A1 for me :/.

It's fine though, as you said, it isn't a very good map, not that I didn't try to make it good, but it was, as you know, my first attempt at a solo map.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It's actually pretty good for a first map, so don't be disappointed; there's definitely some issues with cheapness and just plain bad design but that's the sort of thing that gets improved on with experience.

I can see if I can figure out what the big deal is, but that'll be after I'm done wrapping up the scenario, so it'll only be useful if you want a more thorough investigation just for your sake.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 12th '08, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

I would appreciate it, but if it's too much trouble don't bother with it. I really would like to improve on solo mapping, and I recently started working on a couple levels for a small infinity scenario; one of which is almost done. If the other guy is alright with it I might just post that level once it's doe to get some feedback, I think it's considerably better than my Xmas level.
Axle_Gear
Cyborg

Did you get the update of my map, Ryoko? Did some architectual upgrades and balanced the supplies a bit better, plus I added an explorable area with another Easter Egg in it (a very difficult one to earn, I should hope). If you didn't get it, or have any questions, send me a PM.

EDIT: There's also another terminal in the update. Not a mission important one if you don't want it to be, but it should have something nonetheless to make sure the game won't crash if a player tries to read it.
Last edited by Axle_Gear on Feb 13th '08, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Is it crashing, or is it doing the infinite vis loop hang like Not OK, Honeybunny? If it's crashing, can you send it to me?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I can't tell, tl, because on my comp they both have the same result: Aleph poops.

Axle_Gear: Yeah, I got your update, and that secret is pretty clever. I beefed it up a bit, though; I doubt most people will find it.