Aleph One Preview Build

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Post Apr 5th '08, 03:23

I've uploaded a new preview build to treellama.org:

Source: http://www.treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne-20080404.tar.bz2
Mac OS X: http://www.treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne...404-OSX.tar.bz2
Windows: http://www.treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne-20080404.zip
Linux: http://www.treellama.org/alephone/AlephOne...-nolibs.tar.bz2

This preview build is network compatible with the previous release build *except* when gathering games with net scripts--in that case joiners must have preview build 2 in order to join.

Keep the latest release build around in case you have trouble!

Changes since preview 1:
  • use slightly better sort algorithm for sorting 3D model polygons
  • enable use of DXTC model skins, including texture quality slider
  • enable the "circle" crosshair in software mode
  • [Glen Ditchfield] write the Aleph One Log.txt file to ~/.alephone in Unix operating systems
  • add a crosshair configuration dialog
  • change mipmap settings labels to match other FPS games; add a "bilinear" filter setting
  • display the postgame carnage report after replay of net game films
  • don't toggle fullscreen/windowed mode on pause (breaks immersion)
  • make it possible to disable the teleport effects and sound when entering or leaving a level (see MML.html)
  • added a Lua interpreter console for solo play, which must be enabled in MML (see MML.html)
  • Lua scripts can ask for collections to be loaded (so scripts can use monsters / effects not present on the level) by putting them in a global MarkCollections table:
    Code: Select all
    MarkCollections = {14, 15}
  • entirely new Lua API (see below)
  • added more informative messages when login to the metaserver fails
  • [Hugo Forss] new humongous icons for Leopard and Vista, as well as updated file icons for Mac OS X
Bug fixes:
  • re-enable faders in software on Mac OS X
  • fix LAN (not IP) gather/join
  • work around a bug in recent ATI Catalysts that would cause the HUD to display incorrectly at resolutions higher than 640x480
New Lua API:

The biggest addition for this preview build is an entirely new Lua API. The new API is based on a design proposed by Eric Peterson (thermoplyae) and Jesse Luehrs (doy), and fits the Lua style much better than the old API, which was a derivative of Pfhortran.

The new API has many new accessors and some pretty cool helper functions. You can read all about it in the included Lua.html. Please review it and send suggestions for naming changes, including mnemonics, to the development mailing list.

Note that some accessors from the old API didn't work right, and haven't been implemented in the new API, among them: player_control, hide/show_interface, and enable/disable_player. Also, screen_print isn't documented in the new API yet because I forgot, for the time being you can still call it as screen_print(message) or screen_print(player, message).

The new API comes with a compatibility script that should be able to run old Lua scripts automatically; however, the old API is vast, so any help testing would be appreciated. Of particular concern are the two scenarios which use old Lua and are not likely to be updated to use the new API: EMR 3 and Eternal X. Anybody with the time to run the whole way through these and check for Lua compatibility script bugs would be helping out a lot. Please report any Lua compatibility script bugs to the development mailing list.

Note that the new API and mnemonics are subject to change between now and the time the build is released--if you write scripts with it, be prepared to update them for minor mnemonic or function name changes once 0.20 is released.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 5th '08, 07:36

Just tried it on Windows vista SP1 and it works great. I like the crosshair customization feature! [MUp]

visciom
Somewhere below the heavens

Post Apr 5th '08, 15:27

Solra pointed out the table to add collections to is CollectionsUsed, nor MarkCollections.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 5th '08, 19:14

There was a preview 1?

Man, I'm really really out of the loop.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Apr 6th '08, 05:54

use slightly better sort algorithm for sorting 3D model polygons

Does this mean that 3D models can now be on the edge of polygons and not disappear at strange angles due to being out of the viewing angle, or am I thinking of something totally different?

Basically, are there any noticeable improvements of this?
Last edited by Zott on Apr 6th '08, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Apr 6th '08, 12:35

Zott wrote:Does this mean that 3D models can now be on the edge of polygons and not disappear at strange angles due to being out of the viewing angle, or am I thinking of something totally different?

Basically, are there any noticeable improvements of this?

No

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 7th '08, 04:37

Does it build against speex 1.2 beta now? :)

creidiki

Post Apr 7th '08, 05:21

Attempting to compile this preview on Yellow Dog Linux 6 on a PS3 (PPC Linux with no OpenGL support) I get this error:

XML_LevelScript.cpp: In function â??XML_ElementParser* ExternalDefaultLevelScript_GetParser()â??:
XML_LevelScript.cpp:749: error: â??LoadScreenParserâ?? was not declared in this scope
make[3]: *** [XML_LevelScript.o] Error 1

Here's my ./configure line:
./configure --prefix=/usr --build=ppc --disable-opengl --disable-speex

I'm also getting an error if speex is enabled, but this occurs on the AlephOne-20071103 version also. I have speex and speex-devel 1.0.5 current stable installed.

In file included from network_microphone_sdl_alsa.cpp:29:
network_speex.h:32:36: error: speex/speex_preprocess.h: No such file or directory
network_speex.h:39: error: expected initializer before â??*â?? token
make[4]: *** [network_microphone_sdl_alsa.o] Error 1

I am able to build the AlephOne-20071103 version with no problem as long as speex is disabled. AlephOne runs great on the PS3 -- no problem getting 30 FPS at full screen 1280x720 32bpp (software rendering). PS3 Linux has a limited set of resolutions available and none of the available ones matched perfectly, so to run at 1280x720 or 960x720 I added some resolutions to: screen.h, screen_shared.h, and preferences.cpp

Also I made an RPM for YDL6 that includes patches to add the new resolutions if anyone wants it or the patches... I only discovered AlephOne just recently and have been having lots of fun with it.

Thanks! [MSmile]

billb

billb

Post Apr 7th '08, 11:42

Aleph One requires speex 1.1 if you're going to use Speex. Building without OpenGL in the preview build is probably broken, I never remember to test it. Just install Mesa and you should be good to go.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 7th '08, 17:04

Treellama wrote:Aleph One requires speex 1.1 if you're going to use Speex. Building without OpenGL in the preview build is probably broken, I never remember to test it. Just install Mesa and you should be good to go.

I already had Mesa installed but didn't think to try that -- it worked perfectly. Thanks! The new menus look nice.

I haven't updated Speex so still have that disabled for now.

Would you consider including some new resolutions for the PS3, or would it be best just to patch the code in the rpm like I'm doing now? I attached the patches (for the old version) just to show which ones I added. Not sure if I did it correctly, but it works ... :)
Attachments
newrespatches.zip
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Last edited by billb on Apr 7th '08, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

billb

Post Apr 7th '08, 17:28

For now, I can add true 1280x720 to the bottom of the list, if that helps. 960x720 is really weird. Some day Aleph One will detect resolutions and list those directly. As you know, if you patched new ones in, things are quite ugly right now.

Edit: Does PS3 linux not support hardware OpenGL acceleration? How disappointing.
Last edited by treellama on Apr 7th '08, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 7th '08, 18:13

Treellama wrote:For now, I can add true 1280x720 to the bottom of the list, if that helps. 960x720 is really weird. Some day Aleph One will detect resolutions and list those directly. As you know, if you patched new ones in, things are quite ugly right now.

Just 1280x720 would be great. I know 960x720 is odd ... :) Just a way of having a 4:3 aspect ratio on a 1280x720 screen (with black bars on the side). The PS3 supports an odd set of resolutions, but I think 1280x720 (720p) is most commonly used.

Edit: Does PS3 linux not support hardware OpenGL acceleration? How disappointing.

That's correct ... I haven't seen any straight answers on why it isn't available or when it might become available. There's some discussion of it here. But what we have isn't too bad ... it runs Doom I & II, Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II, Quake II, Descent 2, and of course Aleph One at acceptable speeds (30+ FPS) without hardware acceleration.

Anything I've tried using Mesa indirect rendering is unbearably slow. For example, Quake 3 runs (I should say "crawls") but only about 1 frame per second.

billb

Post Apr 7th '08, 23:43

Treellama wrote:I've uploaded a new preview build to treellama.org:

Thank you for maintaining it Tree.

I just built it under 64-bit Kubuntu so we'll see if it exorcises some previously unknown bug in one of their libraries.
gferguson

Post Apr 7th '08, 23:54

will joystick input ever be included in future builds?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Apr 9th '08, 02:55

No bugs yet, you should release version 20 soon [MGrin]
The cake was a lie, until I ate it...
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!

Idkbutlike2
Reisterstown, MD USA

Post Apr 9th '08, 02:58

BUG!!!! [MAngry]

I played the first level of Durandal, and the engine shut off afterwards!
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!

Idkbutlike2
Reisterstown, MD USA

Post Apr 9th '08, 11:36

Idkbutlike2 wrote:the engine shut off afterwards!

Check your spark plugs, alternator, fuel system, etc.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 9th '08, 19:41

Treellama wrote:Check your spark plugs, alternator, fuel system, etc.

Ha! Ha! [MFrown] Maybe one of my pistons isn't working properly [MAngry]

Idkbutlike2
Reisterstown, MD USA

Post Apr 9th '08, 20:08

Seriously, though, "the engine shut off" isn't very helpful. Read through this:

http://source.bungie.org/wiki/index.php/Reporting_Bugs

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Apr 10th '08, 11:12

Treellama wrote:Seriously, though, "the engine shut off" isn't very helpful. Read through this:

http://source.bungie.org/wiki/index.php/Reporting_Bugs

Okay, I'll try to be more specific [MSmile]

This glitch happens pretty often so make sure you fix it please. When I teleport out of a level, the game gets you like this split second shot of where you once were then loads the next level. Instead, the glitch goes to that frame, then goes black, and Aleph One closes. Hope this is more helpful. [MSmile] This is so far the only glitch I get, other than mouse look not working on an ATI card in resolutions about 1280 by 1024 (I am definitely getting a new graphics card soon) . So, keep up the good work [MUp]
Last edited by Idkbutlike2 on Apr 10th '08, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Idkbutlike2
Reisterstown, MD USA

Post Apr 10th '08, 18:53

What link?
JohnStrabler

Post Apr 10th '08, 18:56

Treellama wrote:Read the link I posted.

I did, but it does not seem like two of the crash types on there fit what I experienced.

Idkbutlike2
Reisterstown, MD USA

Post Apr 10th '08, 18:57

Take a look at my avatar
JohnStrabler

Post Apr 10th '08, 19:04

[shoots DRAKE.]
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Next

Return to Aleph One Discussion