Marathon in Lord of the Rings Online!!!

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
Snosh
Spazeroid

Hello everyone! I am an avid old Marathon'er and currently I amuse myself with Lord of the Rings online. After discovering the player made /music system in LOTRO I knew it was my destiny to bring the music of Marathon to Middle-Earth. Follow the link below to my YouTube page to see all 15 videos of me playing familiar songs with some friends on the Vilya server! If your having trouble finding them, just look for the videos with "Bungie's Marathon" in the title.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Snosh

This music was made possible because another topic on this very pfhorum posted the original Marathon Midis which were needed in order to make these conversions into LotRO. If anyone has additional midis of the theme music for Durandal and Infinity, PLEASE post me a link here so I can get those made too!!! Midis only, the mp3's wont convert.

And just in case there are any other Marathon/LotRO players out there who are reading this, you can download the files needed to play this music for yourself at Thefatlute.com

Enjoy!
~Snosh
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

It has a novelty to it, but the quality isn't very good. The timing of the music is poor: it would sound better if you just dubbed the original song over the video. Does the game play the MIDI for you, or is this a human performance?
Snosh
Spazeroid

You have to first convert the midi to an .abc format which I can do, THEN you enter a command while in game and it plays the song for you. As for the timing, I blame that on my slow ass computer that has to run LotRO at its lowest graphical setting and still only gets between 12-20 frames per second. Also once these videos get uploaded to YouTube they dont sound as crisp as they do ingame for some odd reason. I can play the saved video file on my computer and it sounds clear as day, but the YouTube version sounds a bit more muffled. Not really much I can do about that.
Still, this was the best I could present to you guys and I was proud of my little trip down nostalgia lane so i just wanted to share =) BTW what would be the point of dubbing the original song over it? Kind of defeats the purpose of playing it ingame doesn't it? I think maybe your missing the point.
Cheers
~ Snosh
Last edited by Snosh on Jun 28th '08, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Pfhorsome
Cyborg

Here are all the MIDI's I have.
Attachments
Marathon_MIDI__s.zip
(48.29 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Zott
Vidmaster

Also once these videos get uploaded to YouTube they dont sound as crisp as they do ingame for some odd reason. I can play the saved video file on my computer and it sounds clear as day, but the YouTube version sounds a bit more muffled.
Extract the sound and post the mp3 only then, and let us hear the sound alone, since I don't care much about the graphics. (Since they don't match anyways)
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:Extract the sound and post the mp3 only then, and let us hear the sound alone, since I don't care much about the graphics. (Since they don't match anyways)
That's sort of what I was getting at. The graphics are just a looping animation with nothing to do with Marathon. The sound is worse than the original files because the timing is off. So when the graphics are extraneous and the sound is worse...it's not really worth watching. There's no improvement over the original songs, so as Snosh said I don't see the point, beyond the novelty of it.
VirtualX1
Cyborg

thats neat but... can it be played a little better? i think my ears are bleeding
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.