How To Gather Network Games

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

If you're having trouble gathering a network game in Marathon/Aleph One, and you have a router, this is the place for you. Learn how to host your own network games!

Before I begin, let me just say that I am not the authority on this! So if you see any incorrect information, please correct me.

STEP 1:
FIrst, you'll need to find the address for your Router, and the IP Address for your computer. The way to find these numbers is different depending on whether you have a Mac (step 2A) or a PC (step 2B).

STEP 2A:
If you have a Mac, here's how to find the IP Address and Router Address:
-Open up "System Preferences".
-Click on "Network".
-Click on "Configure".
-Click on "TCP/IP".
-Listed you should see your IP Address and your Router Address.
Here are examples of what the numbers should look like:
IP Address (just an example!):
Router Address (just an example!):

STEP 2B:
If you have a PC, here's how to find the IP Address and Router Address:
-Go to the start menu and select "Run".
-In the dialog box, type in "cmd" (if that doesn't work, try "command"). This should open up a DOS window.
-Type in "ipconfig" (if that doesn't work, try "winipcfg"). This should bring up a window titled "Windows IP Configuration". Listed, you should see your computer's IP Address, and also the Default Gateway, which is the Router Address.
Here are examples of what the numbers should look like:
IP Address (just an example!):
Router Address (just an example!):

STEP 3:
Access the Settings to your Router
Open up your web browser and type the Router Address into the URL location (for example -- http://192.168.1.1/). If you typed in the correct number you will be prompted to enter in a username and password. By default, the username is "admin", and the password is also "admin". Type these in unless you've changed the default names. On a side note, you should probably change these if you have a wireless router to prevent random people from accessing your internet connection, otherwise you may have unnecessary lag in your network game. If you have trouble gaining access to your router, you will have to contact the manufacturer for your router -- not the manufacturer of your modem or service provider.

STEP 4:
Open Port 4226
This last step may be difficult because every router has a different way of changing the settings. So I can't explain exactly how to do this -- I can only give you the general idea. You'll have to figure out the rest.
-You'll need to find a section called something like "Applications", or "Games", or "Port Forwarding".
-Type in 4226 for both TCP and UDP. If there is a checkbox for "both" TCP and UDP, select it so you don't have to type in 4226 twice. If there's a start and finish for the port range, type in 4226 for both.
-Under IP Address, type in your computer's IP Address (NOT THE ROUTER ADDRESS!).
-There should also be an option to type in the name of the application that the port will be opened for. It doesn't matter what you type here, so just type in "MARATHN" OR "ALEPH1" to keep things organized.
-Remember to save your settings before exiting.

That's it. You're ready to gather network games in Aleph One/Marathon!

TROUBLE SHOOTING
If you're still having problems, here are some troubleshooting tips that may help:

-Make sure you have the current version of Aleph One.

-For the first games you gather, use Marathon Infinity since that's what most people are using.

-Sometimes your computer's IP address can change! So if you can't gather a game, the first thing to do is check to see what your computer's current IP Address is, then make sure that same number is entered into your Router's settings (for port 4226).

-To play online network games, you'll need all of your internet connection's power. A slight change in speed can mean the difference between a smooth network game and one that is riddled with lag. So make sure you're not downloading or uploading in any other applications. Make sure your roommates (or whoever lives with you) aren't downloading or uploading anything. If you have a wireless router, make sure you've secured access to the router so outsiders can't access it.

-You can test your connection speed using the following method:
Windows: Go to the Start Menu and select Run. Type in "cmd". Then type in "ping google.com -n 10". Look at your average ms to see how you're doing. This can be useful in determining whether or not your connection is what's causing lag in a network game, or whether or not conditions for gathering a smooth running network game are present.
Macintosh: Open the Terminal application. Type "ping -c 10 google.com", then press return.

-You can also test your connection speed at:
http://pingtest.net/

And I'm told these methods of testing aren't as accurate, but here they are anyway:
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

-Generally speaking, the more players in a game, the more lag there will be. So you may need to limit the number of players in your game, or increase the latency tolerance (listed under "Network" when gathering a game). Distance also plays a factor, so the further away the person you're playing is located, the more lag you will experience. Someone very far away with a slow connection can make the game slow for everyone.

TIPS
-Hold alt+enter (or option+enter) to shrink the screen in Aleph One. This allows you to do other things while running Aleph One. I would only advise doing this while in the chat screen, not the actual game.

-Type ".available" to see who is available to join your game. This is useful when you're gathering a game and otherwise wouldn't be able to see who is using Aleph One. You can also type ".who" to see everyone who is there.

-Type in ".afk" to gray out your name if you are away from the keyboard. As soon as you type something your afk status will be taken away. Or to return, you can type ".back".

-Type ".help" or ".help2" to see other dot commands. There was also a more detailed post regarding dot commands here on the pfhorums.

-In the middle of the game, press the "1" key to see other people's connection speeds. The higher the number, the slower the player's connection. Any ping under 100 is ideal.

That concludes my lengthy tutorial and tips. I'm sure this topic has already been tackled here on the pfhorums, but I just wanted to post something I could use to quickly refer non-hosters to. If this post is successful, it will increase the number of players that can host.

EDITS:
6/3/2011Corrected latency tolerance tip and added http://pingtest.net/ (thanks, Treellama!).Corrected latency tolerance instructions to correspond with the current version of Aleph One.9/30/2009Updated the method for checking pings to match the method used in the latest version of Aleph One (press "1" instead of typing ".ping").6/24/2009Added http://www.speedtest.net/ as an alternative for testing connection speeds (thanks, Red Fox!).3/30/2009Added the Macintosh method for checking connection (thanks, g pack!).Used more minor re-formatting to organize guide.3/29/2009Deleted title from the top of the post (it was redundant).Updated Step 2B to include "cmd" and "ipconfig".Updated the title of the window in Step 2B.Included an alternate method of checking connection (thanks, W'rkncacnter!).Corrected some glitchy punctuation.Used some minor re-formatting to organize the guide.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Jun 4th '11, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

This is an excellent guide, with one minor mistake: if you are on a laggy connection, you want to increase latency tolerance, not decrease it :)

http://source.bungie.org/wiki could use some serious updating, if you'd like to lend a hand!

Also, trying UPnP might be helpful before manual router configuration, for those who can enable it on their router.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 2nd '08, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
megabyte
Vidmaster

how about this issue
2 of 4 macs can host
1 of 2 windows machines can host
and 1 of 1 linux machine cant
they are all on the same router

any suggestions on getting any of the not working ones to work?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks for the tips, Treellama. Latency tolerance is the one thing I haven't experimented with so I was a little unsure about it. And thanks also for pointing out the wiki website. I'll see what I can do. And sorry Megabyte, but I have no idea. I've posted pretty much everything I know regarding this topic.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Jun 4th '11, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Megabyte, are you trying to host LAN games? Or metaserver? Only one computer will be able to host games on the metaserver, the one with the ports open through the router.

Macs, Windows, and Linux all have software firewalls you will have to take down or open ports through in order to host even LAN games.

Why does every machine need to host? Just load up the one that can host with all the good maps :)
megabyte
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Megabyte, are you trying to host LAN games? Or metaserver? Only one computer will be able to host games on the metaserver, the one with the ports open through the router.
those are the ones that can host to the metaserver
Treellama wrote:Why does every machine need to host? Just load up the one that can host with all the good maps :)
3 people playing online at once in one room (weve been playing for 8 years, playing just each other gets old after a while)
and each of us use different controls and one leaves we need another host fast
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
[viral]
treellama
Vidmaster

Only one computer will be able to host online, unless your router supports UPnP.
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

I know this is a little off subject, but correct me if I'm wrong. Mariusnet has two dedicated servers running, one for marathon and one for Myth.
right or wrong?

megabyte
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Only one computer will be able to host online, unless your router supports UPnP.
which i have turned on in the router and a1
Favorite quote
[viral]
treellama
Vidmaster

logan wrote:I know this is a little off subject, but correct me if I'm wrong. Mariusnet has two dedicated servers running, one for marathon and one for Myth.
right or wrong?
Mariusnet is only a metaserver, and there's only one for all of Marathon and the three Myths. It doesn't actually host games, it lists them--you still have to gather from your own computer, or join someone else's.
treellama
Vidmaster

Megabyte wrote:which i have turned on in the router and a1
OK, check the software firewalls then. UPnP won't take down a linux or Mac OS X software firewall, you'll still need to open ports or turn those off to get it to work.

UPnP is also fairly badly implemented in most routers--especially when switching machines. Even mine gets confused fairly regularly and has to be reset, or I have to open the ports manually.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I dont have a router, but it is still not letting me host or join games on the meta. When I try it gives me these:

[attachment=1388:Picture_7.jpg]
[attachment=1389:Picture_6.jpg]

I still can join games on the meta by IP. This has been going on for weeks, and a computer exactly like mine had no problem getting on the meta yesterday.
Attachments
Picture_6.jpg
Picture_6.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 23213 times
Picture_7.jpg
Picture_7.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 23224 times
treellama
Vidmaster

Are you logging in as guest or using a username/password? If the latter, did you try logging in as guest?
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I tried logging as Shadowbreaker with Shadowbreaker as my account and with a password, I tried logging in as guest with Shadowbreaker as my account, and I tried logging in as guest with guest as my account and no password, and none of those worked.
megabyte
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:OK, check the software firewalls then. UPnP won't take down a linux or Mac OS X software firewall, you'll still need to open ports or turn those off to get it to work.

UPnP is also fairly badly implemented in most routers--especially when switching machines. Even mine gets confused fairly regularly and has to be reset, or I have to open the ports manually.
ok
i just had to configure my firewall which i hadnt know how to do prior to 5 minutes ago
i can now host on linux!
on to the macs
Favorite quote
[viral]
treellama
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:I tried logging as Shadowbreaker with Shadowbreaker as my account and with a password, I tried logging in as guest with Shadowbreaker as my account, and I tried logging in as guest with guest as my account and no password, and none of those worked.
Can you login as guest/guest from mythchat?

http://projectmagma.net/sites/mythchat/

If not, you're getting blocked by your ISP or maybe your IP is banned from Mariusnet or something.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 2nd '08, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

When I originally wrote this guide, I was using Windows 98. I have an addendum to make for Step 2.

STEP 2C:
If you have a PC and you're running Windows XP x64, here's how to find your computer's IP Address and your Router Address:
-Go to the start menu and select "Run".
-In the dialog box, type in "cmd". This should bring up a DOS window.
-Type in "ipconfig". Listed, you should see your computer's IP Address, as well as the Default Gateway (which is just another name for the Router Address).
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Jun 4th '11, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

My router only allows a radio box for TCP or UDP. Are both crucial to A1 games? If so, looks like I'm out of luck.

Edit: fixed. Turns out that's only adding a definition for a port to open.
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Jul 17th '08, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I have a question about this. (Assuming Dynamic IP).

This is a pretty standard IP, supposedly it's a default. So, if everyone has this IP, how does the whole shebang work?
Now, I know that there is a Public and Private IP for everyone, so is that the public? If so, how does one see their private IP?
Can't speel for hist.
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:I have a question about this. (Assuming Dynamic IP).

This is a pretty standard IP, supposedly it's a default. So, if everyone has this IP, how does the whole shebang work?
Now, I know that there is a Public and Private IP for everyone, so is that the public? If so, how does one see their private IP?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
Mordekai
Cyborg

Won't have to worry about that as soon as IPv6 becomes standard.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Thank you, Treellama.
Can't speel for hist.
localwarming
Cyborg

I entered all the information in step four, and after that there is a checkbox labeled "enabled." Should I check that box or not?

edit: K, thanks Tree.
Last edited by localwarming on Jul 17th '08, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Bruno wrote:I entered all the information in step four, and after that there is a checkbox labeled "enabled." Should I check that box or not?
Yes.
Iritscen
Cyborg

One thing I haven't seen addressed yet (because different routers do use different language) is this:

Notice the distinction between Global Port and Base Host Port. Have I set things up correctly in this screenshot (and yes, I made the same settings for the UDP side)? Because when I try to host, it pretends to work fine until I actually start the game ? then it hangs on the black screen until everyone drops out and I find myself alone in the map. Except that yesterday one guy actually hung on somehow and we had a good netgame. But normally everyone times out. It's very strange.

Oh, and I have an Intel Mac, 10.5, blah blah. Connection is DSL @ 6.0Mb/s, router is Motorola Netopia 2210.