Marathon Classic (M1A1) Hi-Res Weapons / Items Pack

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

That would certainly be a creative license. After a second look, I wonder if there should be a hole in the middle.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
tim4i
Born on Board

That flat is a by-product of my inability with Illustrator. I will adjust to suit.
-I was thinking about the hole in the middle also. We'll see what I can do
-As for the grenades inside, mmm not sure you could see them anyway. Back in my green & brown bunny days. You would not see the round as its only around 120mm in a barrel that was much deeper. I will experiment and see if it looks any good.
"Beggars CAN be choosers, They just don't eat as often"
tim4i
Born on Board

Okay - updated grenades.

I don't mind the ammo inside the canisters...but let me know what you think. I don't want to update it toooo much. Just something to refresh the aging sprites.
Any changes I make now will probably the last for a while. I would like to get these new rockets happening. Maybe update the napalm canisters, now that I have a basic understanding of Illustrator CS.

[attachment=2611:Compare_Grenade2.jpg]

I am interstate for work, for the next couple of weeks - Full steam ahead after Easter.
Attachments
Compare_Grenade2.jpg
Compare_Grenade2.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 11056 times
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Either way, I think it's the hole in the center that completes it. I didn't know you can't see the ammo in the real deal, though. Had I, I probably wouldn't have suggested it. I was probably noticing the difference compared to the M2 and Mi sprites.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

with ammo is better!
Zott
Vidmaster

Ammo is definitely a requirement. Just wouldn't make sense otherwise. I like where its going. I'm not sure if it is so much a center whole as some kind of holding cylinder that connects all the other cylinders. Anyways, I like it regardless.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Essentially. I think the AR would have a holding pin (?) that the Bandolier would slide over to be held in place.
megabyte
Vidmaster

i really like this idea. i would use autocad to model if thats what you're used too. inventor(my personal choice) renders nice enough for this. i can give some models if you like.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
visciom
Cyborg

tim4i wrote:The rocket & grenade bandolier in Illustrator are proving to be a pain. I know what I want...just getting that final product is not easy. I think graphics designers/modellers must have alot of patience. [MFrown]
Yup, creating sprites is a very slow and long process. Don't rush it.

tim4i wrote:Okay - updated grenades.

I don't mind the ammo inside the canisters...but let me know what you think. I don't want to update it toooo much. Just something to refresh the aging sprites.
Any changes I make now will probably the last for a while. I would like to get these new rockets happening. Maybe update the napalm canisters, now that I have a basic understanding of Illustrator CS.

[attachment=2611:Compare_Grenade2.jpg]

I am interstate for work, for the next couple of weeks - Full steam ahead after Easter.
I have to agree with Zott about the actual grenades in the ammo. It may not be faithful, but it does look better. As the others have said, it looks way too clean. Add some variation and dirt into the sprite.

Looks like you're making some good progress. Keep it up! [MUp]
SynthNinja
Cyborg

The new ammo items and power-ups look great. Keep up the good work.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
uescsuperhuman
Cyborg

ya I am very impressed. I also run 1920x1200 :D
I'm looking forward to this. In fact, this might even cause me to run through the entire game again [spnkr] [spnkr] [spnkr] [spnkr] [spnkr] [spnkr] [spnkr] [spnkr]

[MUp]
***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM UESCSUPERHUMAN***

Those of you who play Halo 3, you aren't that good at killing things.
I'm not impressed. Long Live Marathon, Halo 3 Fanboys!!!

***END OF MESSAGE***
Paracelsur
Born on Board

Something that always bothered me about the M1A1 texture packs is that they do a poor job of maintaining the unmaintained look of the original game. Marathon clearly takes place in a "used future": The paint is peeling off all the doors and walls, the weapons and some other items are smudged with grease, and the Bobs don't shower. The "high-quality" textures don't reflect this, because they're too busy reflecting the shine on the player's shoes.

I know it's a lot more work, but I for one would appreciate it if you added some scorch marks or dried blood/mucus wherever it's convenient.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

If it were possible to "paint" scorch marks, blood, mucus, etc. on top of chosen textures while in 3D mode, it would be a lot easier to make the scenery tell the tale of a battle that recently took place in a chosen location.

I originally thought yet more upgrades to the graphics would be a waste of time, but I have had a change of heart after seeing the work and I like the way this project is going. It has my approval.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
tim4i
Born on Board

I like the idea of the 'aged battle worn look' - Definately something I would look at. Unfortunately stuff like that is at the bottom of my growing list. My main goals at the moment are to get the cleaned up weapons and pickups completed for the initial release. After they are done. I will look at doing final polish stuff which includes 'those little touches'.

I really wanted to have this MOD realeased by July - but with my upcoming engagement / wedding plans, work has decided to start sending me away on business trips more lately. My time is slowly being stolen from me...

Don't worry, I don't intend to drop this MOD anytime soon. I am thinking 3rd quater for the initial release and probably end of the year to have everything polished to what I originally wanted. Seems that at time goes on, your self expectations increase also.

I have a preliminary rocked ammo pickup. It looked very boring in plain grey, so I added some colour...not sure yet...still thinking about how to change it. I liked the new rocket by Visciom...but its a M2, M3 thing so I decided to stick to updating the original.

[attachment=2791:Compare_Rocket.jpg]

Once again they look very clean - I will add some smudges and grease when I'm happy with the model.
Attachments
Compare_Rocket.jpg
Compare_Rocket.jpg (69.74 KiB) Viewed 11047 times
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

nice! me gusta mucho!
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Very nice - only complaint I have is the annoying white line around the edge, and I'm sure you'll clean that up better in the final release.

Thanks for the update.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

tim4i wrote:I like the idea of the 'aged battle worn look' - Definately something I would look at. Unfortunately stuff like that is at the bottom of my growing list. My main goals at the moment are to get the cleaned up weapons and pickups completed for the initial release. After they are done. I will look at doing final polish stuff which includes 'those little touches'.

I really wanted to have this MOD realeased by July - but with my upcoming engagement / wedding plans, work has decided to start sending me away on business trips more lately. My time is slowly being stolen from me...

Don't worry, I don't intend to drop this MOD anytime soon. I am thinking 3rd quater for the initial release and probably end of the year to have everything polished to what I originally wanted. Seems that at time goes on, your self expectations increase also.

I have a preliminary rocked ammo pickup. It looked very boring in plain grey, so I added some colour...not sure yet...still thinking about how to change it. I liked the new rocket by Visciom...but its a M2, M3 thing so I decided to stick to updating the original.

[attachment=2791:Compare_Rocket.jpg]

Once again they look very clean - I will add some smudges and grease when I'm happy with the model.
I liked the original better actually.
You seem to be falling into the whole plastic=HD thing by the rocket's general appearance.
They're metal mind you.

And whats wrong with gray?
tim4i
Born on Board

Plasticy is seeming to be a side effect of this project - I originally intended to just refine the existing sprites so intead of seeing blocky pickups and weapons on the big screens, We could see clear smooth objects.

-It seems alot easier to just build some of these things from scratch using new programs. And some of these sprites are getting more upgraded than I originally wanted.
The plastic look of the rocket is preliminary. I really just wanted to see what the rocket model would look like, if it was the right shape and looked okay - I will apply filters / effects to the final...see how I go.
BetrayedLocust
Born on Board

Man ... where do i start , this is going great . hope you do release a great package like this.
What are BOBs for if not to !REDRUM
Blake37
Born on Board

Good looking stuff man. I know this isn't the best place to post this, but the Pfhorums doesn't want to let me post a new topic anywhere. Anywho, Has anyone ever been able to make a physics file for M1A1 that replicates the physics in the original Marathon? I've tried, myself, but I make physics files the way a donkey plays hopscotch. I've just always thought it'd be cool to get more of the original feel into M1A1.
Wuts on yer mind, Llama?
Meta

Quoth Blake37 the topic necromancer.
tim4i
Born on Board

This is the rocket ammo:

[attachment=2961:zCompare_Rockets.jpg]

Shape and Colour is pretty much done. I am still thinking about textures....I don't want them to look too fancy.
I like the 'plain-jane' look to match in with the others. (I just noticed a hairline on left side - will fix)

Starting work on the totz now. Last of the weapons from memory.
Attachments
zCompare_Rockets.jpg
zCompare_Rockets.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 11049 times
tim4i
Born on Board

Totz is now complete.

UPDATE:
-ammo pickups are done
-in-hand weapon updates are done (I think the AR needs a little work still)
-powerups are pretty much done (Oxygen needs work. I have a quick fix I made. But I would like to rebuild it, when I get the chance)

I want to do the rocket projectiles when flying views. Not sure how hard this is to do. If it becomes a pain I may release without it.
tim4i
Born on Board

I found a way to remove some of the plastic look. - So here is the revised Rocket Ammo pickup and flying rocket sprites.

[attachment=2978:CompareAmmo3_matte.jpg]

Here is the finished ToTz:
(Remember this is just a refresh of the GFX to make it smoother on High Res screens - same graphic, just smoothed out and rebuilt in some areas) Firing view also. And yes the pressure valve still moves.

[attachment=2979:CompareWeap4.jpg]

Also here is the updated Oxygen Tank Pickups for all M1 (matte version) , M2 & M3 (plastic version to match Viscioms pack).
(The M2/M3 Oxygen Tank and S'pht Uplink Chip with an updated script, will work right on top of the Weapon Enhancement Pack 1.4.1 by Viciom. I will release these seperately when I finish making other changes)

[attachment=2980:CompareItems2.jpg]

Still going - deciding what to do next...
Attachments
CompareItems2.jpg
CompareItems2.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 11048 times
CompareWeap4.jpg
CompareWeap4.jpg (103.29 KiB) Viewed 11051 times
CompareAmmo3_matte.jpg
CompareAmmo3_matte.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 11048 times