Codename: Rebirth

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 4th '09, 01:32

Oh yeah, I forgot about F-Gons, but they're not true N-Gons, are they? I thought we had to wait for B-Mesh for them, cause people still whine about lack of n-gons on BlenderArtists. Anyway, no, I'm on an HP Pavilion A6152n. I do have a 20-inch monitor, though, and an XFX Nvidia 8800GT Alpha Dog Zalman Edition graphics card (not sure if I got all the subtitles there :P).

Edit: lower body update. Yes, the knee-cap thingies are not there yet, but I didn't forget them. And I'll find a way to make the leather boots look more integrated with the metal part. Oh! *has idea*
Attachments
marine_progress2.jpg
marine_progress2.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
Last edited by johndoe on Feb 4th '09, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

johndoe
the core

Post Feb 4th '09, 02:49

No I don't think they are true N-Gons. I certainly don't use them, as they have little practical value as they are right now.

I asked about the Intel iMac, as I assumed you'd be using a Mac for Marathon work, and your monitor size was 1680x1050, which is the same as my 20" Intel iMac's screen.

Progress looks very good, nice fast work you do. :) The hip/upper leg area looks a bit bony though, but I'm sure you'll fix that.
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested

infestedsmith
USA

Post Feb 10th '09, 15:36

Ok, this project is on hold for a bit, cause I really need to work on demo reel material (even though this could become demo reel-quality stuff, low-poly isn't my main thing). I will be working on the super-awesome 3d compiler project I mentioned in my "John Doe's Artwork" thread, though. [MGrin]

johndoe
the core

Post Feb 14th '09, 19:41

First off - Some cool stuff you are showing off there.

Second - I noticed you kind of had a shift in development in the past couple of pages, so my own recommendation is to go with something like UT2004. Your best chances of actually completing a remake is to start from a platform where most of the work is already done for you, so why not? The basic game mechanics are the same, and a good portion of what was already done for M:R is potentially portable to UE2. That only leaves the artwork aspect to be done -- Which is substantial enough when you're talking about 30+ levels and all the items, characters, and props you might want, but potentially manageable.
Marathon: Resurrection project @ http://resurrection.bungie.org/
WailofSuicide

Post Feb 14th '09, 20:28

Wail wrote:First off - Some cool stuff you are showing off there.

Second - I noticed you kind of had a shift in development in the past couple of pages, so my own recommendation is to go with something like UT2004. Your best chances of actually completing a remake is to start from a platform where most of the work is already done for you, so why not? The basic game mechanics are the same, and a good portion of what was already done for M:R is potentially portable to UE2. That only leaves the artwork aspect to be done -- Which is substantial enough when you're talking about 30+ levels and all the items, characters, and props you might want, but potentially manageable.

Interesting thoughts, though John's the only one working on this at the moment, so the call is up to him.

I see you have M:R links in your signature. However, I believe we established somewhat that a branching away from either M1, or M:R was probably best. I've been throwing around some ideas as to what direction would be appropriate, so we will see how the cards fall.

My personal frustration with M:R is it took several wrong turns with it's creative liberties. For instance, WSTE-M's were included, the AR was the M2 variation of it, not the M1. The grenade firing position on the AR was somewhere in space. The textures were somewhat.. low res, though given the UT '99 engine I suppose that is acceptable. All the same, I think M:R had the right idea, but was very poorly executed.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Feb 15th '09, 00:24

Lh wrote:Interesting thoughts, though John's the only one working on this at the moment, so the call is up to him.

I see you have M:R links in your signature. However, I believe we established somewhat that a branching away from either M1, or M:R was probably best. I've been throwing around some ideas as to what direction would be appropriate, so we will see how the cards fall.

My personal frustration with M:R is it took several wrong turns with it's creative liberties. For instance, WSTE-M's were included, the AR was the M2 variation of it, not the M1. The grenade firing position on the AR was somewhere in space. The textures were somewhat.. low res, though given the UT '99 engine I suppose that is acceptable. All the same, I think M:R had the right idea, but was very poorly executed.

Right, and I'm not trying to pressure him. I just know from experience how much work it is to try and recreate Marathon in a more modern engine. Every step up the ladder requires more and more work, so it's important to set realistic goals, especially when you're talking about such limited manpower.

Regarding M:R, I don't want to turn this topic into a discussion on that specifically, but the things you mention [aside from the grenade trajectory] strike me as rather pointless things to get caught up on. The shotguns don't make an appearance in the SP (IIRC - only on the netmaps from M2 & Infinity), the look of the AR could easily be changed if there were someone who was going to volunteer their talents to model a new one, etc, etc. There is a giant list of things I would "like" to have done [or do] with M:R, but well, with plenty of critics and fewer volunteers you kind of have to do some triage on what's necessary over what you might like to do in an ideal world.
Marathon: Resurrection project @ http://resurrection.bungie.org/
WailofSuicide

Post Apr 25th '09, 05:19

This looks quite promising, if it's still going. JohnDoe, you seem to know exactly what you want from your project, which is a lot more than can be said of the people bickering in the "Marathon Remake" thread. Wish I'd seen this first.
Paracelsur

Previous

Return to Projects