M2 Groove Session II

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
The Thug
Vidmaster

The second MGS contest is here! The rules are basically the same as the first one but I will repost them.

RULES:

1) Just like MGSI, there are 3 songs to be composed. These songs will correspond with the next 3 levels of Marathon 2. They are called, What About Bob?, Come and Take your Medicine, and We're Everywhere. These levels make up the chapter Volunteers, and that is what the resulting album will be called.
2) Each song must have a reasonable song length. I would consider 10 seconds or 10 minutes a bit outside this reasonable range. Try to keep the songs from 2 min to 5 min. I'm flexible so going outside those boundaries a little bit won't lose you any points. Cutting a song down to around 1 min though may lose you a point in the "Length" category though. NOTE: I know Come and Take your Medicine can be beaten within 30 seconds. Don't make that an excuse to shorten your song for this level!
3) These submissions are songs for Marathon levels. Please don't include a full chorus or obnoxious singing in any of your submissions. A little bit, and I mean a very small amount of singing or background chorus is ok, but don't go overboard.
4) Deadline: All songs must be sent to me at thethug47@gmail.com by May 2nd May 16th midnight EST. That's 3.5 weeks to make 3 songs.
5) Don't name your songs after the levels. Come up with creative names!

Those rules being said, anyone interested in judging also email me.

Your entries will be judged on the following material:
1) Interpretation of the Level: Does your song complement the level provided? Does it help set the atmosphere of the level and contribute to the gameplay? A bad example would be to play "Happy Birthday" during a war scene, while a good example might be to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" during a scene where a little kid is pondering the universe. 20 points
2) Musicality: How well the tempo, rhythm, notes, etc fit together. It shouldn't sound like a 6th grader randomly hitting stuff or pressing down keys on his first instrument. 20 points
3) Creativity: This is your music so make it unique. I understand that many background parts repeat over and over, but don't create a whole song where the majority of the melody is the same eight notes played repeatedly. Jazz it up and make it enjoyable and fun to listen to, while still staying within the other requirements. 10 points
4) Sound Quality: If it sounds like trash or is poor quality, you will obviously lose points here. I'm looking for clean, high quality music with no white noise, unless the white noise is intended. 10 points
5) Originality: Remixes sound great and all, but the point of this contest is too create something NEW that complements the given level. Remixing M1A1 music or any other music will cause you lose points here and probably in a few other sections of the judging scale. 5 points
6) Length: If the song length is too long or short, points will be lost. The song should be long enough to show effort, but short enough to be precise. 5 points

TOTAL: 70 points/song. Each participant will be judged out of a total of 210 points because there are 3 songs.

This is the EXACT same rubric used to judge MGSI. No tricks here. Again, the song receiving the highest score for a particular level will be included in the final Marathon 2 Soundtrack. If you don't have enough time to make 3 decent songs, at least make 1 pure awesome song, as it will have a better chance of being included in this soundtrack.

Enjoy making music!
Last edited by The Thug on May 3rd '09, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
L'howon
Vidmaster

I look forward to this second installment. Hopefully more people will be interested this time, but I'm not betting on anything.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
treellama
Vidmaster

I'd enter, but, I could never outdo my own musique concrète, Hunter Holiday
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:I'd enter, but, I could never outdo my own musique concrète, Hunter Holiday
The significance of my idea for this round was just reduced.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:I'd enter, but, I could never outdo my own musique concrète, Hunter Holiday
Similarly, I could never outdo my own musique loch, THAT SONG (Ep remix). Thanks as always to Irons for contributing the nits.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Come and take your medicine and We're everywhere are songs I never heard of before. Are these going to be original compositions (not remakes)?
The Thug
Vidmaster

The entries should be original songs based off of Levels 4,5 and 6 of Marathon 2. No remakes.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Thug wrote:The entries should be original songs based off of Levels 4,5 and 6 of Marathon 2. No remakes.
I believe remakes would be... IMPOSSIBLE!
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

ukimalefu wrote:I believe remakes would be... IMPOSSIBLE!
Remakes of Marathon 2 music would basically be silent MP3s with no instrument tracks... unless you count the ambient blowing wind and sirens and such.

Back to seriousness, What about Bob is also a title so I assumed it was a remix of the Marathon 1 track of the same title... unless its gonna be something totally different with the same title x_x
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

sent one
acks45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Reminds me of Alvin Lucier's I am Sitting In A room or R#9( It actually overlays well with R#9)
Last edited by acks45 on Apr 21st '09, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Actually, you can hear some granular synthesis in Hunter Holiday as well. I'm not stuck in the 50's :)
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

sent another one
CryoS
Vidmaster

got about 2 done
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
The Thug
Vidmaster

Ok, good to hear some songs are being made.

Reminder: There are only 4 days left before the deadline. Finish those entries!
CryoS
Vidmaster

OK due to my 60-day license went out today, I am unable to convert my files into .mp3's. so there is a risk i am unable to send my songs before the deadline.

what a shame...

I will save them for the MGSIII though :D
EDIT:
Ok i fixed stuff up so i can send in 3 songs for MGSII, ill hand them to you thung when i can
Last edited by CryoS on Apr 30th '09, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
The Thug
Vidmaster

I received only 1.67 entries, so I'm extending the deadline, again. The new deadline is May 16th at midnight EDT.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Thug wrote:I received only 1.67 entries, so I'm extending the deadline, again. The new deadline is May 16th at midnight EDT.
Wut!?

I sent TWO (2)

1.67? Is this an average?
$lave

ukimalefu wrote:Wut!?

I sent TWO (2)

1.67? Is this an average?
If an entry consists of 3 songs, and CryoS sent 3 and you sent 2, that would make one and two thirds, which would equal 1.66... entries, or 1.67.
Last edited by $lave on May 3rd '09, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
The Thug
Vidmaster

There's only a week left before the deadline. Make that music!
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

3rd one sent
The Thug
Vidmaster

Aye, I have it. Now there are 2 entries. 6 songs work, but I would have liked as much as the first Groove Session.
The Thug
Vidmaster

OK, Marathon Groove Session II has ended. I'll get the songs scored and will post the results in a week or so.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hello...?

Anybody out there...?
The Thug
Vidmaster

Yeah, yeah I'm working on it. Busy weeks nowadays.