Marathon Annihilation

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
The Thug
Vidmaster

I'd like another go at a marathon tournament. I've noticed there's been a slight increase in players on the meta recently, so I figured why not organize a tournament? They're fun for everyone! If you like it or not.

I have yet to decide the nature of this tournament though. I'm considering 1vs1, teams, or a ladder. 1vs1 seems like a winner to me because there don't have to be set times and whatnot for the matches. Whenever 2 players are online and they are setup to play each other they can do so. But I'd like to stay away from 1vs1 though. They are fun and all, but I enjoy games with 4-8 players a lot more. Team games could be really fun, but they require a lot of planning and just sound too tedious to me. A ladder might work, but someone would have to administer it and keep track of all the scores.

For those who are interested please post your ideas on this possible tournament!
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

You should have a prize :P
Marathoner325
Cyborg

The Thug wrote:I've noticed there's been a slight increase in players on the meta recently,
Really? Whenever I check, there's almost never any games or players on. There's actually quite a bit less than there were several months ago. And although a tournament would be fun, it would be quite difficult to successfully arrange in a community as small as this one. If you're going to go through with a tournament, you should try and make sure that as many players as possible hear about it to ensure that at least a few people will be there.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Get on the meta around 3-5pm EDT. There's usually a good amount of players then during the week. Just today I had a lot of good games, some of them even had 8 players!

I'm starting to plan this now, but I suspect it won't kick off until the summer when more people will be free to play. I've tried to get the daily players to check out this forum, but most of them either ignore me or don't know what I'm talking about.
treellama
Vidmaster

The number of games per month has dropped from 3000 in January, to about 1800 last month. Certainly not an increase.
The Thug
Vidmaster

I meant recently as in during the past few weeks. Maybe it's just because I started playing again, and people want to play in the presence of my awesomeness. But I do agree that overall games have gone down though.

I've talked to plenty of people online, and most of them seem to like the idea. As I said earlier, hopefully when summer time comes, there will be even more interest.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Thug wrote:...
Maybe ... people want to play in the presence of my awesomeness.
I can confirm this report.
The Thug wrote:I've talked to plenty of people online, and most of them seem to like the idea. As I said earlier, hopefully when summer time comes, there will be even more interest.
I'm always game for this sort of thing, but I have to admit I'm not optimistic about it after watching a couple similar ideas boil and evaporate. I also have a hard time visualizing this as something long term if stats are to be collected manually.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
goran
Vidmaster

a 1vs1 single elimination bracket would be easy to do. 16 players would mean 4 matches per player to decide the winner. I think you'll want the first tourament to be fairly easy, then evolve it over time.
The Thug
Vidmaster

goran wrote:a 1vs1 single elimination bracket would be easy to do. 16 players would mean 4 matches per player to decide the winner. I think you'll want the first tourament to be fairly easy, then evolve it over time.
Good call. I think I'll start with a 1vs1 because it's fairly easy to setup. Nice idea.

Here are my proposed rules right now, I'll make another topic when it's official:

It will be a double elimination tournament. If an odd number of players show up like 9 or 14, we can compensate. A 1vs1 is nice because the matches really don't have to be scheduled. Each round can be a set of multiple games. It's not much fun if you play 2 5 minute games and you're already out of the tournament. I'm thinking maybe best 4 out 7 or something like that.

As for the prize. It's the satisfaction of knowing you are a very strong 1vs1 player.
soulblighter
Cyborg

I would enjoy taking part is this so-called tournament.
Although I shall fall early, I will try to play strong (and maybe blight some souls while I'm at it).
[viral]
Nobody hipped me to that, dude.
I will blight your soul!
megabyte
Vidmaster

1st: we should do this and call it Marathon Mayhem tournament 4
2nd:
Maybe ... people want to play in the presence of my awesomeness.
I can confirm this report.
I can deny this report
3rd: how will the beginning bracket be decided?
4th: ill play in it
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
The Thug
Vidmaster

Yeah we can call it Marathon Mayhem 4, MM4 for short.

I'll decide the beginning bracket based when all the players have signed up. But exactly how, I don't know yet. I would like to base them off of skill level, but I definitely don't know everyone's skill. If that doesn't work, it could be random, but I'd prefer not to do that.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Assuming this will somewhat work out, just give us a date and I'll probably be more than happy to sign up.
uescsuperhuman
Cyborg

Yea, me too. I suck, but it'd still be fun to play :|.
***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM UESCSUPERHUMAN***

Those of you who play Halo 3, you aren't that good at killing things.
I'm not impressed. Long Live Marathon, Halo 3 Fanboys!!!

***END OF MESSAGE***
The Thug
Vidmaster

Alrighty, currently I'm working on a website where, I'll post the brackets, screenshots, and statistics. After I finish it, I'll start a new topic where players can sign up.