In The Shadows.

The best of the Pfhorums.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

O.K. For those who don't know me, I'm Fishman92, co-head of the Fishmaniacs Network, podcaster and games developer.
Marathon: In The Shadows is a scenario I'm making currently. It features totally new textures, enemys, semitransparent liquids and shots, a night vision mode etc.
I am about to release a beta version for A1, with the project already shaping up to be very good. For more info on the storyline, go to http://mshadowsinfo.blogspot.com/ (this is only the story for the first few levels though).
If you would like a copy of the scenario as it is now, plase contact me. If you have any ideas for it, post them here.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Fishman92 wrote:O.K. For those who don't know me, I'm Fishman92, co-head of the Fishmaniacs Network, podcaster and games developer.
Marathon: In The Shadows is a scenario I'm making currently. It features totally new textures, enemys, semitransparent liquids and shots, a night vision mode etc.
I am about to release a beta version for A1, with the project already shaping up to be very good. For more info on the storyline, go to http://mshadowsinfo.blogspot.com/ (this is only the story for the first few levels though).
If you would like a copy of the scenario as it is now, plase contact me. If you have any ideas for it, post them here.
sounds good! maybe in the mean time i can pick up some mapping tips, as well. Ill help you test
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
goran
Vidmaster

I can play it through.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I've been waiting for a scenario like this [MSmile]

My project incidentally is named similarly... I don't mind, just please don't condense your name into just "Marathon: Shadow" :P
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on May 22nd '09, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

hehe, lol
D?rovací tvá?í.
Meta

I'll play through it as is. Also, don't use the name lead bullet.
Last edited by Meta on May 23rd '09, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

Perhaps you could upload some screenshots to at least confirm progress.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

That's cool you brought this here.

I can't help but wonder, though, if you've learned the value of having a Scenario MML after our metaserver encounter?
Last edited by effigy on May 23rd '09, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

also, i agree with meta. leadbullet sounds slow, nothing like the best carrier in the UESC (i believe thats correct)
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

O.K, i'll upload the file soon to simpli7y.
If you want screenshots , go to http://marathonshadows.blogspot.com/.
Also for those who want to know what machine i'm using, i am using a 400mhz iMac G3 256 ram etc running mac os x 10.3.9.
and instead of leadbullet, how about UESC RAZOREDGE?
Thanks again,
Fishman92!
-----------------------
http://www.fishmaniacsnetwork.webs.com/
Lawstiker
Cyborg

Fishman92 wrote:If you want screenshots , go to http://marathonshadows.blogspot.com/.
Is it just me or do these maps look a bit...simple. If you ask me they could be spiced up with a bit more details. Of cource this is just a early beta...

Also how do you plan to effectively utilize the Nightvision?
Last edited by Lawstiker on May 23rd '09, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

i like RAZOREDGE
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

yeh, i know what you mean about the levels- all of the screen shots are from the first 2 levels, which both need a bit of work done on them because they are quite linear. The night vision is used later on in certain spots where levels get really dark (it's not called In The Shadows for nothing! :). But as you say, this is only a beta version.
I did take some other shots, but they didn't come out to good.. i'll try and get some better ones.
Meta

There are a bunch of really simple things you can do to add architectural variety, for instance, in the first picture raise the ceiling height of the orange area and lower the floor height of the gray area about .25 W.U. or something of the like.
Meta

I'm not an obed user so I really wouldn't know.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

O.K for anyone wanting to test my scenario as it is at the minute, go to http://www.simplici7y.com/ to download it!
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

you can tell that its a beta.

i met my peeps. now what?

I also checked everywhere else.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

tehWastedJamacan wrote:you can tell that its a beta.

i met my peeps. now what?

I also checked everywhere else.
I think someone forgot that it is a very early beta when they wrote that it is "utterley terrible".
It is supposed to be the unfinished first few levels, to get some feedback on what to put in it.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

Fishman92 wrote:I think someone forgot that it is a very early beta when they wrote that it is "utterley terrible".
It is supposed to be the unfinished first few levels, to get some feedback on what to put in it.
With this type of beta your going to get some responses like that. I haven't downloaded it yet (about too), but from the screenshots this is a type of demonstration beta meant to showcase what your goals are for a map. It is no doubt that some people who do not know what you are trying to do will just pass this off as horrible. More people tend to like beta's that have some type of playability and demonstration as to just demonstration.

Also what type of feedback do you what from the testers. A beta this early is bound to have problems, so what is it you are spicifically wanting the beta testers to report back?
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

i dint say it was terrible.
i just said you could tell that it was a beta.

im lost in the game. I think i got stuck...
D?rovací tvá?í.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

tehWastedJamacan wrote:i dint say it was terrible.
i just said you could tell that it was a beta.
He was talking about the review on Simplici7y.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

i didn't say you called it terrible! :-)
And thanks for that comment, lawstiker, that's what people need to know.
O.K for those who have played the small, unfinished maps, what could i put into the maps (apart from more enemys, putting more in soon!) to make them a bit better?
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

oh, srry. since he quoted me... i thought he was talking to me.
D?rovací tvá?í.
$lave

I've played up to level 5 (where it crashed, I'll try to find out why later), and I have some comments so far.

First of all, it's a pretty cool concept. Almost reminds me of Marathon: Evil a bit, which I think is the sort of scenario this has the potential to be - but it will take some work. At the moment, yes, it's a beta, but it also feels a bit like a quickly tossed together proof of concept, and while a lot of it is rather lacking, some parts show something which could have some pretty cool potential, especially level 4 (in my opinion).

I don't really care about the HUD right now (which evidently will undergo a lot of work before any real release), so I'll mainly be reviewing the game mechanics and level design, as well as the textures to a more minor extent.

So, first of all, the game mechanics. The "healing" is pretty cool, and something which could be really fun with a bit more work. I'd like to see some sort of health which doesn't heal automatically though, so that the player has shields separate from actual health. One idea would be to use your health bar as health, and use the oxygen bar for shields. Liquids could "power down" your shields, while they automatically recharge on land.

One thing I wasn't too fond of was the weapons. The pistols feel too slow once you get past level 2, and although it isn't too hard because of this, it isn't quite as satisfying when you're generally out of ammo for all the other weapons. The slowness did add a bit to the mild claustrophobic feel of the levels, though.

Next, the level design. This is probably (at this point) the largest downfall to the game (in my opinion), but could become a strength of done with care. I'd suggest playing Marathon: Evil, if you haven't already, and especially taking note of how the second and third levels are designed. I'd also like to see far more emphasis on trying to "avoid" or fearing the light. the ship as it is now is basically a series of mildly lit rooms, which doesn't make me fear the shadow aliens at all. The second level of Marathon: Evil is one of my favourite levels from any marathon scenario, simply because of how creepy it felt when I started playing Evil. Dark corridors can be hard to do well, but if you could contrast dark corridors and rooms with ominous light sources (even more ominous when you expect approaching them to trigger an onslaught of monsters), you could get a really cool effect out of this. The levels are also simply too short, but I'll assume this is due to it being an early beta.

Lastly, the textures. As they are, they really aren't terribly impressive, and while a few areas look decent (level 4 is again my favourite in this regard), some areas (especially level 2) look bad. Coherent textures sets would certainly help a lot, as wells as more distinct textures in themselves. I could see textures sets similar to Rubicons (excluding sets 4 and 5) working well with this, especially if you added some details similar to Evils.

Anyway, I do think this has potential, and if you can do it well I'm definitely interested. As it is though, there's little yet which is really desirable. I'll finish playing the beta when I have time though, and try to provide more feedback. If you have specific things you'd like feedback on you can reply/pm/ask me over AIM etc.

Edit: Disregard what I said about the HUD for now, it's entirely possible that I didn't have it working properly. If I can't fix the issue I'll post a screenshot
Last edited by $lave on May 24th '09, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

Noticed a few issues. Don't have time at the moment but I will post a review later.