Marathon Mayhem 4

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

If a player who signed up can check the pfhorums to see that email addresses are now required, surely he can check his pfhorums Inbox for PMs from his opponent. How does email solve things?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

It allows all the spambots on the pfhorums to see these people's email addresses. That wasn't the goal?
Morphilator
Born on Board

W wrote:It allows all the spambots on the pfhorums to see these people's email addresses. That wasn't the goal?
I think you nailed it. [MGross]

That emoticon didn't make sense in context.
The Thug
Vidmaster

The point of posting email addresses is to allow players to reach each other easier. I'm sure plenty of people check their email more often than they check their pms on this pfhorum. I never said people had to post their email, just that it might be a good idea to do so.

I've posted some updates on the site. The Round 2 maps are up and so is a new poll. Round 1 ends this Saturday, so finish your match before then! If anyone has any concerns about the maps or the schedule, please let me know.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Morphilator
Born on Board

The Thug wrote:The point of posting email addresses is to allow players to reach each other easier. I'm sure plenty of people check their email more often than they check their pms on this pfhorum. I never said people had to post their email, just that it might be a good idea to do so.
Yeah, I agree that it was a good idea.

I've posted some updates on the site. The Round 2 maps are up and so is a new poll. Round 1 ends this Saturday, so finish your match before then! If anyone has any concerns about the maps or the schedule, please let me know.
I have a concern. My opponent (SquareMilk) has not been online at all since his account was created, and I doubt he will be online in time to participate. This problem seems to be occurring for a lot of people. What are you going to do if one player is ready, but the other never shows up?
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dohnanyi wrote:Gimme some buwwets, I'm going in!!!
I'm ready when you are, Dohnanyi.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Looks like this was a huge success. I vote The Thug as the winner for organizing this wonderful tournament!
The Thug
Vidmaster

Round 1 is over and I received 2 match results out of the 25. I realize there are plenty of you guys who wanted to play, but couldn't contact your opponent. I'm not sure what to do now, so I'm offering a poll:

1) Just stop the tournament. It sucks.
2) Stop the tournament for now, maybe try another one later.
3) Start a new tournament with fewer players, the players who actually care enough to sign up and then want to play the matches.
4) Keep going with the current tournament. This option seems a bit far-fetched though.

Again, I'm sorry for all of you who wanted to play but couldn't contact your opponent. Right now, I'm leaning toward option #2, but I want to know what everyone else thinks.
treellama
Vidmaster

Option 5: JUICEMAN vs Shotgun Killer for the title.
goran
Vidmaster

Option 7:

Tournament next saturday, single elimination, max 16 players. Every round is best out of 3 matches. Every match is 5 minutes.
Max time per round 30 minutes. Time for tournament 120 minutes. One entry per person. No strangers allowed.
Uncontactable opponents = bye.

Round 1: Duality
Round 2: House of Pain
Round 3: Route 66
Round 4: Thunderdome
Last edited by goran on Jun 14th '09, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Why do you hate The Thug's tournament so much that you have to keep trying to sabotage it?

You were the one who convinced him to limit the rounds to two weeks in the first place, and the result was that only four players were able to schedule matches in that time.

Now you suggest a two hour window instead, with even worse net maps? You have to be trolling now.
Last edited by treellama on Jun 14th '09, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Why do you hate The Thug's tournament so much that you have to keep trying to sabotage it?
You ask me a double-bind question, which is very manipulative. How can I answer this without agreeing with you that I try to sabotage?
Treellama wrote:You were the one who convinced him to limit the rounds to two weeks in the first place, and the result was that only four players were able to schedule matches in that time.
You give no proof that the two week time span caused 40+ players to drop out of the tournament. This makes your link between cause and effect highly arguable.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

goran wrote:You ask me a double-bind question, which is very manipulative. How can I answer this without agreeing with you that I try to sabotage?
Oh come on, "I'm not trying to sabotage his tournament" would have been a perfectly fine starting point.
You give no proof that the two week time span caused 40+ players to drop out of the tournament. This makes your link between cause and effect highly arguable.
His argument isn't that people left because of the two-week time limit, his argument is that people couldn't make their matches despite the (rather lengthy) two-week time limit, and that shortening it to two hours won't help matters much.
The Thug
Vidmaster

The way I see it, most of the players signed up and stopped caring or forgot at some point or another. Two weeks should be plenty of time to schedule a match, so I think the general attitude toward the tournament was the problem, not the time frames. My original intent was to finish this tournament before October, if not September. Oh well. If anyone is interested in joining a smaller 16 player tournament for the summer I'd be glad to host one.
Morphilator
Born on Board

I propose something similar to option 3. I think everyone who is still interested should say so on this thread. Everyone still interested with an uninterested partner will be given an automatic win so that the tournament can continue. We should maybe get two weeks to express our interest here.

It may be necessary to reformat the round structure. With my proposal, it is likely that only a few people will be playing in each round. For example, imagine we have an 8-person tournament.

Alice-Bob Carol-Dave Eve-Fred George-Helen

Say that Alice, Bob, Carol and Fred have lost interest. This means that only George and Helen will play round 1. Assuming that George wins, only Eve and George will play round 2, since Dave was supposed to play Alice or Bob during round 2. It would be more efficient to compress the rankings so that everyone gets to go during the first round.

So I think the best option is a smaller tournament consisting of everyone still interested.
Last edited by Morphilator on Jun 14th '09, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Morpfhilator wrote:I propose something similar to option 3. I think everyone who is still interested should say so on this thread. Everyone still interested with an uninterested partner will be given an automatic win so that the tournament can continue. We should maybe get two weeks to express our interest here.
I'd rather do this (give byes to matches with no shows) and finish it out. Else, JUICEMAN vs. Shotgun Killer.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm not saying this is the only solution, but perhaps it is a solution.Give an extension for Round 1 only (another two weeks perhaps?).Let the results stand for those few who have completed Round 1.Make this a new rule for those who haven't yet completed Round 1, and for all contestants for every Round thereafter:Have each pair of contestants PM you the time they have arranged to meet in Arrival. Then make sure to log on to Arrival yourself at their decided time to see who shows up. If someone doesn't show up, it counts as them losing the Round by default. If one contestant PMs you and the other doesn't, the one who doesn't loses the Round by default.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Jun 15th '09, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Thanks for the feedback, dudes. I have now narrowed it down to 2 choices.

1) Create a 16 player tournament, maybe 4 player emfh rounds, using 4 pools to group the players accordingly, 1vs1 rounds, or a round-robin.
2) Like Ares suggested, add 2 additional weeks to Round 1 and work from there, perhaps give byes to the players who don't show up. There may be many groups where both players will not show though, so this idea may be an issue.

Now I'm leaning toward option 1. If this tournament was cheese, option 1 would be a small square of delicious, fulfilling cheese, and option 2 would be flat layers of cheese with gaping holes. Each has its ups and its downs, but based on the feedback and turnout of Round 1, I doubt I could gather more than 16 players who would be dedicated to participating in a tournament. This is the reason why option 2 seems a bit less organized; there would be so many byes that the double elimination bracket wouldn't be effective at all.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Option 1 would probably work, but it'd have to be more like 4-6 people if you really only want the ones that care.
Jim
Cyborg

I would rather have the 16 player tourney, if my opinion matters at all. Seems like the more dedicated players would actually go for that.
I don't care anymore.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Thug wrote:There may be many groups where both players will not show though, so this idea may be an issue.
I totally agree. But this could also very well happen in a 16-player tournament, however less likely it may be to occur. So whether we go with option 1 or option 2, I think having a contigngency plan for this situation is a good idea:

If both contestants fail to contact you, I guess the only thing to do would be to flip a coin to see who wins by default. Not an appealing option, I know; but that's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment. And eventually, it would in fact narrow it down to those who are dedicated.

But for the record, I'm not advocating my own proposal any more than anyone else's. I'll go with the flow on this one.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm here for the ride, also, but I will say I like giving byes to players that had a no show and continuing on because no matter which alternative route we take from here we're still back to planning a plan that will be just as susceptible to the current issue. This way the tournament could go on according to schedule.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Obviously Marathon Mayhem 4 failed so I'm starting an alternate tournament. Right now the player limit is 16. If 16 people don't sign up I'll cut it down to 8 or something a bit higher. This will be an emfh tournament, with 4 player games per round. More info soon to come. To sign up please post your mariusnet login and your screen name here.
Morphilator
Born on Board

My screen name is Morpfhilator (notice the pfh instead of ph). My login is MTGAP.
megabyte
Vidmaster

im joining if its not in july
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]