SCEA:ONE

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
xilef
Cyborg

The project aims to bring tactical gameplay to Aleph One, players work together to take down the enemies and complete the map objective.

It is set in a futuristic, anime-esk setting, with bright environments (Contrast to Marathon's dark environments) all set on Earth. Maps range from sky-scraper roof tops to office blocks and on the roads of cities (Also an oil-rig, but haven't started mapping that one).
The environment will be more cartoony and colourful, bright base colours with pastels.

It will have custom textures for guns, walls and players, the physics will be editted to make damage more realistic, so players don't run in guns-blazing but hold back and think tactically. (SPNKR and Grenades will be removed, bullets/fists only gameplay!)
It will utilise the weapon zoom feature of Aleph One as a gameplay element.

If anyone is interested then of course, reply below.

This is the player(s) design (quick sketch and GIMP colour)

Blue areas are team and player colours (Legs down team, up player).
It will be a very cartoon-y design, abstract guns, world, etc.

This is a texture test, there are 3 textures, the floor + ceiling, brick walls and yellow/white walls. It shows the brighter setting that the game is in.
Last edited by xilef on Aug 2nd '09, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Xilef wrote:
The project aims to bring tactical gameplay to Aleph One, players work together to take down the enemies and complete the map objective.

It is set in a futuristic, anime-esk setting, with bright environments (Contrast to Marathon's dark environments) all set on Earth. Maps range from sky-scraper roof tops to office blocks and on the roads of cities (Also an oil-rig, but haven't started mapping that one).
The environment will be more cartoony and colourful, bright base colours with pastels.

It will have custom textures for guns, walls and players, the physics will be editted to make damage more realistic, so players don't run in guns-blazing but hold back and think tactically. (SPNKR and Grenades will be removed, bullets/fists only gameplay!)
It will utilise the weapon zoom feature of Aleph One as a gameplay element.

If anyone is interested then of course, reply below.
I am interested.
Meta

A Tactical Aleph One Game
I love you. Yes, am I very interested! One thing though, does this project have a deadline because I am also working on Marathon: Syndicate.
xilef
Cyborg

Meta wrote:I love you. Yes, am I very interested! One thing though, does this project have a deadline because I am also working on Marathon: Syndicate.
No deadline, resources are coming together right now and texture tests.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Kurinn wrote:I am interested.
Anime-esque?
Cool!

Will Noel Vermillion make a cameo appearance?
It wouldn't be hard, her character is already a collection of sprites.
That'd be so badass seeing Noel dual pistoling her way through helping the players.

She'd be better than 10,000 BOBs.
xilef
Cyborg

MoppyPuppy wrote:Will Noel Vermillion make a cameo appearance?
It wouldn't be hard, her character is already a collection of sprites.
That'd be so badass seeing Noel dual pistoling her way through helping the players.
No.
Maybe a poster or something ingame, as a character: No.
treellama
Vidmaster

Xilef wrote:It will utilise the weapon zoom feature of Aleph One as a gameplay element.
You don't want to do this.
xilef
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:You don't want to do this.
Why ever not?
goran
Vidmaster

Kinda similar, eh?

Last edited by goran on Aug 3rd '09, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
xilef
Cyborg

goran wrote:Kinda similar, eh?
Holy cow. That must have been subconcious as I have been making content for a Naruto game all night. I need redesign [MOh]
I was actually using an RF Online character for reference, but I guess Naruto's design was in the back of my head from before.

Edit: Look around the knees, I even managed to get that band in! (When I drew that I was thinking of more ways to show team colour X_X )
I'm going to invert the blue and orange colours
Last edited by xilef on Aug 2nd '09, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Xilef wrote:Why ever not?
It doesn't work well. Have you tried it?
xilef
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:It doesn't work well. Have you tried it?
Yes, I use it online all the time

I inverted the colours and made it look more jagged. Going to tell me this looks like anything else?
Last edited by xilef on Aug 2nd '09, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Well, don't say you weren't warned.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

tactical you say? I'm listening...
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Does this project have anything to do with fish cake ninjas?
Oh, someone already made that reference.
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Aug 2nd '09, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
Meta

I find it rather garish but okay...
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

lol, when you said that it made me think of Gary from Pokemon. And the character kinda looks like him, too.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

So now we get to shoot Narutos instead of Pfhor? Crazy, but I like it somehow...

By the way, I think what Treellama is saying about the weapon zoom is probably linked into how Lua scripts which interact with this feature will break in Multiplayer. I forget why, I just have pushed it away in my mind as bad juju and promised myself not to mess with that in Lua. If you were a little more specific in how exactly it will figure into the gameplay, then maybe I could offer more insight, but if you just "like the weapon zoom a lot" and want to jam it into this somehow, I'd be a little wary of doing so.

On a whole, I like this concept though. I've long been working on ideas for how to make the fighting a little more thought intensive, outside of weapon selection, ammo conservation, and health management. The first conclusions I came to were that the damage for the weapons had to be evened out to something more reasonably dangerous, and that the guns had to be made a little more realistic. The enemy characteristics will need to be tweaked, too. The AI for the monsters is beyond my hands, though, so really it's a matter of intelligent mapping to allow for the kind of gameplay you want, and for the monsters to behave accordingly.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could script monster AI in Lua?
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

In order to make it tactical, the players will have to me much more prone to death than usual.
MUCH more.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Xilef: bright or dark, a good map needs contrast. If you're not familiar with differential shading, you should be. Based on that screenshot, it would be hard for me to navigate your maps. You might look at Mirror's Edge for inspiration.

Kurinn: Since you can set a monster's position, path, and target, I suppose there's technically nothing stopping you from programming better AI in lua. Good luck.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I thought the complaint about zoom was that you can only face 512 different directions based on a circle, which makes supposedly point-blanc accuracy weapons miss targets if they are far enough away.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shadowbreaker wrote:I thought the complaint about zoom was that you can only face 512 different directions based on a circle, which makes supposedly point-blanc accuracy weapons miss targets if they are far enough away.
Ah, right, that too.

It always bothered me that we had high-res textures but not high-res aiming...
xilef
Cyborg

Crater Creator wrote:Xilef: bright or dark, a good map needs contrast. If you're not familiar with differential shading, you should be. Based on that screenshot, it would be hard for me to navigate your maps. You might look at Mirror's Edge for inspiration.
Actually after deciding the style i've been looking directly at mirrors edge, i've been making different floor levels and wall colours and shadowing techniques.

Now I understand the issues with the zoom, I'll leave it out as a feature then. I just wanted long-range battles
Last edited by xilef on Aug 3rd '09, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Xilef wrote:Actually after deciding the style i've been looking directly at mirrors edge, i've been making different floor levels and wall colours and shadowing techniques.

Now I understand the issues with the zoom, I'll leave it out as a feature then. I just wanted long-range battles
My answer to the whole long-range battle thing is simple: Make everything explode when it gets shot.
xilef
Cyborg

Here is a small example of an office style building

The players start off outside, where the camera is, all the enemies are inside the building, the basement area is filled with woods, beem lights and such as it is under renovation, the object is to take the hard drive from the server in the basement, take it to the helipad on the roof, kill the enemy.
Something I've been experimenting with is lockers that the player can go inside, they can see outside, but nothing can see inside, although it looks like it will only work on deathmatch maps.

There are two gamemodes: Objective, where the players are on the same team and need to complete an objective (A bit like a campaign)
Deathmatch, we all know that one.