In The Shadows.

The best of the Pfhorums.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:a single stairwell or a map absolutely blanketed in fog doesn't convey that.
That's just my crap screenshot taking skills, but I was trying to show the hand on the pistol...
and that level Is very much wip, the fog isn't supposed to be there.
$lave

Fishman92 wrote:Who says I don't have experience? How can you say I can't map well? Have you played it yet? No, so there are no grounds to judge the mapping on.
I apologize for assuming that the screenshots you're posting resemble the maps that you'll use for this scenario. What I meant to say is that the maps in the screenshots in this thread look neither well designed or aesthetically pleasing.
Fishman92 wrote:And what would you rather play, a hi-res scenario with bump maps etc with no good gameplay, or a scenario with graphics that aren't as good as the hi-res one, but has awesome gameplay?
I never said anything about a hi-res scenario, in fact what I was saying was completely contrary to that. I'd rather play a scenario which uses textures from the original game, which look nice, than one which uses poorly made new textures. If the textures in the screenshots you've posted even looked half decent, then I would not have a problem with you using new textures.

I don't want to play an ugly scenario, and I don't want to play a scenario with poor gameplay.
Fishman92 wrote:The Infinity textures won't fit this scenario.
Then maybe you're being a bit too ambitious, considering this is the only scenario you've ever made.
Fishman92 wrote:And thanks for being one of few that want to see this finished and playable.
I'd want to see this finished if it seemed like it would turn out well, but your attitude indicates otherwise.
Last edited by $lave on Dec 6th '09, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

textures from the original game
i hate the infinity textures.
neither well designed or aesthetically pleasing
And how would you know if you hadn't played it?
I didn't find infinity either of them.
f the textures in the screenshots you've posted looked even half decent
funny, consdering i've not made hi-res versions yet

but thanks anyway, it's always nice to get mixed feedback.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Fishman92 wrote:i hate the infinity textures.

And how would you know if you hadn't played it?
I didn't find infinity either of them.

funny, consdering i've not made hi-res versions yet

but thanks anyway, it's always nice to get mixed feedback.
Well, I have nothing really to say that doesn't relate to what has already been said, being a grizzled and experienced scenario maker myself, except one thing regarding high-res textures:

DON'T MAKE TOO MANY

Recently I just did a checkup on all of my textures, and it turns out that I have about 20-25 still to make, out of roughly 480 (and thats not counting Xmas/Winter!). Seriously, they take forever if they are any good, so I recommend keeping your sets down to at most 50 or so, and I also recommend using Infinity textures, at least to base the high res off of. Infinity textures have always proven to be the most realible and useful textures you can get, so even if you don't think they will "fit", they will most likely be more useful than ones that you produce (thats not really a shot at your talent, but few scenarios end up creating original textures as useful as Infinity's)
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

The infinity textures sure aren't reliable, and certainly not the useful you can get.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
irons
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:Just a question- who is the player? I mean, in the Trilogy, Rubicon etc he's a Mjolnir Mk IV Marine, in Squadron he's an elite infantryman, so what is his chronological role in Sundown? I've a few ideas.

~ The Boring Approach- An elite soldier
~ The Cliched Approach- A new combat android
~ The Predictable Approach- The Marine himself, he just happened to fall through time
~ My Approach- Nobody knows. He was salvaged out of a radioactive, unidentified wreck hanging in low geostationary orbit. The other stasis tubes are empty...
Go with Dugit's Approach: it combines The Boring Approach, The Cliched Approach, and The Predictable Approach into a Single Approach!

Edit:

Ecce homo,
irons
Last edited by irons on Dec 7th '09, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
ellio7t
Cyborg

Fishman92 wrote:the fog isn't supposed to be there.
Exactly everyones point. The people who are trying to inform you against your wishes are veterans. That is to say those who have produced content.
Your list of weapons are the same that already exist in game for the most part. If you don't like Mi textures try making a map with another set. There are plenty out there and we would love to see some content using from already existing material. This way you can learn the basics and gain feed back on how to improve your skills. Then with your improved abilities you can return and build a stronger scenario.
Saying stuff like "I guess it's true some people still hate ITS" is delusional. This thread is retardedly long considering how little you have done of this scenario, especially in light of the fact that you additionally have a blog for it. Update here when you have done substantial work to peak peoples interest. As it stands this is bordering on spam and members will respond to it as such. remember the first rule of the pfhorums- if you post be prepared for the consequences.
words
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:The infinity textures sure aren't reliable, and certainly not the useful you can get.
what are you talking about

I have spent years making textures, and Infinity's textures have usually proven to be the best to base things off of. I certainly could not create an original set with 32 textures that is nearly that diverse.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Dec 7th '09, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
ArchiveBot
Spazeroid

Shadowbreaker wrote:Well, I have nothing really to say that doesn't relate to what has already been said, being a grizzled and experienced scenario maker myself, except one thing regarding high-res textures:

DON'T MAKE TOO MANY

Recently I just did a checkup on all of my textures, and it turns out that I have about 20-25 still to make, out of roughly 480 (and thats not counting Xmas/Winter!). Seriously, they take forever if they are any good, so I recommend keeping your sets down to at most 50 or so, and I also recommend using Infinity textures, at least to base the high res off of. Infinity textures have always proven to be the most realible and useful textures you can get, so even if you don't think they will "fit", they will most likely be more useful than ones that you produce (thats not really a shot at your talent, but few scenarios end up creating original textures as useful as Infinity's)
Shadowbreaker wrote:what are you talking about

I have spent years making textures, and Infinity's textures have usually proven to be the best to base things off of. I certainly could not create an original set with 32 textures that is nearly that diverse.
treellama
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:DON'T MAKE TOO MANY
all you really need are 2 textures
Recently I just did a checkup on all of my textures, and it turns out that I have about 20-25 still to make, out of roughly 480
Shadowbreaker wrote:I certainly could not create an original set with 32 textures that is nearly that diverse.
The more you make, diverse they get?
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Perhaps I didnt really phrase this properly... I just like the Infinity textures because they seem to fit in many places while still maintaining a basic shape. And I also recommend not making 480 textures. Believe me, I have uses for all of them :)
Dugit
Vidmaster

For some reason, all this talk of Infinity textures makes me miss the old M2 textures. My version of SDL M2 doesn't have them, it only has Infinity textures, and I can remember quite a number of good textures from M2. Like the one Ryoko used (that circular panel that he changed from green to gray). And the rechargers.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:For some reason, all this talk of Infinity textures makes me miss the old M2 textures. My version of SDL M2 doesn't have them, it only has Infinity textures, and I can remember quite a number of good textures from M2. Like the one Ryoko used (that circular panel that he changed from green to gray). And the rechargers.
You can download them from http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/
Dugit
Vidmaster

Thanks.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

QUOTE(shadowbreaker)Recently I just did a checkup on all of my textures, and it turns out that I have about 20-25 still to make, out of roughly 480[/quote]
480? Of I'm not going that far!!!
This thread is retardedly long considering how little you have done of this scenario
Note that several pages are full of crap, and I did restart! So excused? maybe..
goran
Vidmaster

Stay strong, fish.
CryoS
Vidmaster

and to keep strong, here is a pistol and AR for you. they are too bad for my standards now, but when i made them they were quite nice. find them useful
[attachment=3389:Pistol__AR.zip]
Attachments
Pistol__AR.zip
(676.4 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

stay strong, Fish
Thanks, I will try :D

And cyros, thnks, I'll look at them when i get back to the machine o' doom.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Looks like Marathon Solid 3: Spht Eater
Last edited by Kurinn on Dec 7th '09, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

CryoS, the models aren't registering as .obj files properly. Can you reformat them to a diferent model type?
CryoS
Vidmaster

well it depends on your software, but here they are as .3ds, try that
[attachment=3390:ARpistol2.zip]
Attachments
ARpistol2.zip
(6.73 MiB) Downloaded 543 times
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

CryoS wrote:well it depends on your software, but here they are as .3ds, try that
[attachment=3390:ARpistol2.zip]
Thanks alot, these are awesome- especially the AR, even if it did take 5 mins to view on the clunky beast. But still, nice work!!
Also, random artwork... I had nothing better to do on this dark depressing evening.[attachment=3391:sundownart.png]
Dugit
Vidmaster

Maybe you should put the concept screenshot in direct view of the sunset. That'd be impressive; I already adore that landscape.

tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

The car is reminicent of Half Life (1) 3D textures.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:Maybe you should put the concept screenshot in direct view of the sunset. That'd be impressive; I already adore that landscape.
btw, that landscape isn't real... here's the screenshot i got it from.[attachment=3392:Picture_2.jpg]
It's the first level, but lightened and made sunny :D
Last edited by Fishman92 on Dec 7th '09, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.