Marathon Groove Session IV

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Press your power button. Tune your instruments. Position your microphone. Open Marathon 2. It's time for MGSIV!

RULES:

1) Unlike previous competitions, there are 4 songs to be composed. These songs will correspond with the next 4 levels of Marathon 2. They are called, Eat It, Vid Boi!, The Hard Stuff Rules..., Bob's Big Date, and Six Thousand Feet Under. These levels make up the chapter Citadel, and that is what the resulting album will be called.
2) Each song must have a reasonable song length. I would consider 10 seconds or 10 minutes a bit outside this reasonable range. Try to keep the songs from 2 min to 5 min. I'm flexible, so going outside those boundaries a little bit won't lose you any points. Cutting a song down to around 1 min though may lose you a point in the "Length" category.
3) These submissions are songs for Marathon levels. Please don't include a full chorus or obnoxious singing in any of your submissions. A little bit, and I mean a very small amount of singing or background chorus is ok, but don't go overboard.
4) Deadline: All songs must be sent to me at thethug47@gmail.com by February 26th. That's over 2 months to make 4 songs.
5) Don't name your songs after the levels. Come up with creative names!

Your entries will be judged on the following material:
1) Interpretation of the Level: Does your song complement the level provided? Does it help set the atmosphere of the level and contribute to the gameplay? A bad example would be to play "Happy Birthday" during a war scene, while a good example might be to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" during a scene where a kid is looking through a telescope for the first time. 20 points
2) Musicality: How well the tempo, rhythm, notes, etc fit together. It shouldn't sound like a 6th grader randomly hitting stuff or pressing down keys on his first instrument. Listeners should be somewhat comfortable while listening to it, not cringing in their seats. 20 points
3) Creativity: This is your music so make it unique. I understand that many background parts repeat over and over, but don't create a whole song where the majority of the melody is the same eight notes played repeatedly. Jazz it up and make it enjoyable and fun to listen to, while still staying within the other requirements. 10 points
4) Sound Quality: If it sounds like trash or is poor quality, you will obviously lose points here. I'm looking for clean, high quality music with no white noise, unless the white noise is intended. 10 points
5) Originality: Remixes sound great and all, but the point of this contest is too create something NEW that complements the given level. Remixing M1A1 music or any other music will cause you lose points here and probably in a few other sections of the judging scale. 5 points
6) Length: If the song length is too long or short, points will be lost. The song should be long enough to show effort, but short enough to be precise. 5 points

TOTAL: 70 points/song. Each participant will be judged out of a total of 280 points because there are 4 songs.

As usual, the song that receives the highest score for a level will be included in the final M2 Soundtrack. If you plan on participating but don't have enough time to make all 4 songs, please try to make 1 or 2 songs. A song will be included in the album if it receives 50 points or more. That means those who enter songs for all 4 levels should shoot for a score of 200 points or higher. I'm looking forward to a good turnout and some great songs! Enjoy making music.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Hmm... I think I may actually use an instrument for this one...
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sweet! Can we put up songws we already made for no reason originally? Cause I have a few over at iCompositions that might work.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

If it works, email it. I sent my three last time, and they kinda fit. But not really.
D?rovací tvá?í.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

could i send you one song that fits well or... actually, fuck it ill do all of them.
minor singing... darn...
expect an epic.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
ray
Cyborg

I made a song for Hard Stuff. Here it is.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I was thinking about cheating. I have 2 or 3 songs already made without even thinking about the game, but they could work. How about you see if they fit?
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

ray wrote:I made a song for Hard Stuff. Here it is.
[attachment=3421:048112.jpg]
Attachments
048112.jpg
048112.jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 15816 times
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'll try and make something. I've got all winter break to do it.

So this album will be available for download on simplici7y or something?
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
Dugit
Vidmaster

Yes. MGSIII is on Simplici7y.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
The Thug
Vidmaster

Longinus wrote:So this album will be available for download on simplici7y or something?
Yes, all albums will be uploaded to Simplici7y and Fileball.

For those who wish to submit songs they have already made, I'd prefer if you didn't use them. If you think a song really fits a level, I guess you could use it. But otherwise, please start your submission songs from scratch.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thug, you're REALLY bad at archiving. I haven't been able to download any of these albums at all. Do better this time.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:Thug, you're REALLY bad at archiving. I haven't been able to download any of these albums at all. Do better this time.
Because archiving is, you know, a completely manual process that requires lots of human input / is incredibly prone to errors, and nothing as simple as clicking "compress 'item'" and then uploading the file it spits out.
Last edited by L'howon on Dec 14th '09, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Nah.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

The Thug
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:Thug, you're REALLY bad at archiving. I haven't been able to download any of these albums at all. Do better this time.
This puts a damper on my jolly santa. All I do is right-click the folder and press "compress with .zip" with Stuffit Expander. Other people had a similar problem, but $lave posted a nifty solution here.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I thought Stuffit made .sit files?

tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

stuffit makes everything.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Oh. Interesting.

gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Thug wrote:Yes, all albums will be uploaded to Simplici7y and Fileball.
Wait, whoah, what? Fileball exists? I apparently missied something between now and when fileball stopped existing.
WastdJamacan wrote:stuffit makes everything.
Even babies!
$lave

The Thug wrote:This puts a damper on my jolly santa. All I do is right-click the folder and press "compress with .zip" with Stuffit Expander. Other people had a similar problem, but $lave posted a nifty solution here.
Just unzipping from the terminal seems to work and is probably preferable to downloading stuffit expander. I'm not sure why the default archive utility is so fussy with files archived using stuffit.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

It wont even download properly so i can do that.
$lave

Envy wrote:It wont even download properly so i can do that.
What do you mean, you can't download the file? If your problem is that your OS tries to decompress the file automatically, the zipped file should still be in whatever folder you save downloads to.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

yes, the file downloads wrong...
ima try it again, ill tell you...
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

It was a problem with my computer. I have two Mac pros here and one randomly crashes, the other has broken USB plugs. I've been trying to fix them with no luck. It worked, so dont worry about it.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey, I've got an unfinished song for "The Hard Stuff". I wanted to upload it early to get some criticism, and to see if anyone even thinks it would fit at all (I figured it might, because the s'pht levels are kind of sad, but then again, it probably wont work at all). I've only worked about two hours on it so far, so it's pretty rough, but I wanted advice early rather than late.
Unfinished unamed song link
iCompositions.com is work safe (any explicit song is marked "explicit"), so don't worry too much.

Edit:
One reason I think that going online to be critiqued is good is partially because it's really hard anywhere else; if I ask someone else, they're too afraid to say "it's shit" to my face. That, and I really can't discern what music of mine is good and what is bad, because I think that all of it is amazing. It's like (or so I would imagine) having a child: even if he's the worst kid in the world and is super rebellious and hates everything, you still love him because he is your child.

Also, if you think it sucks (because I'm pretty sure it does, I just can't tell myself), feel free to post "This is a piece of shit, throw it away".
Last edited by gmanyo on Dec 20th '09, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.