Marathon Groove Session IV

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
Dugit
Vidmaster

My likes: The music is mysterious yet with a melancholic element; fitting the S'pht environment.

My dislikes: The abrupt "screech" noises near the end really seem to come out of nowhere, and the build up doesn't really build up to them. However, that "building up" low-pitched howl- I like a lot. It might just be my computer or the fact you haven't finished yet; the piece is riddled with distortion.

Thus: "It's not a piece of shit, but it needs work..."

My ideas for improvement: As this is the Citadel, I'd recommend some Gregorian Chant or something of that ilk; also maybe add a little electronic distortion to that howling noise.
Last edited by Dugit on Dec 22nd '09, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I like it gmanyo, but what if you replaced the paino with a synth of some sort.
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
Dugit
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:also maybe add a little electronic distortion to that howling noise.
Longinus wrote:I like it gmanyo, but what if you replaced the paino with a synth of some sort.
Precisely.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Since this is my field, ill happily critique you. alot.

WAY too simple. you've got a melody that consists of you hitting keys going right up the line and some fuzz at the end. Thats it. While I'm not suggesting bringing in the whole band, I think you should add a few more details, maybe even some loops. While its kinda scary, it shouldn't be. Make it ominous, but not scary. Looming darkness you don't know what to make of, not "OH GOD MY KIDNEYS, IT TOOK THEM". I am exaggerating but you get it. Replace the piano with two different synths that are slightly off. Needs more howling wind. (or cowbell)
Aside from this stuff, you're doing good. I liked how the last few notes were different. That was the best part of the piece.
To re-reiterate,
"Its a piece of shit, and it needs work. you can actually polish shit."
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Envy wrote:you can actually polish shit."
Really?

ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:Really?
Yeah, really. The Mythbusters did it.
The Thug
Vidmaster

There is less than 2 months remaining! If you plan on submitting songs, I suggest you start making your first one soon, if you haven't already.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I totally plan on doing this and have been working on a few songs just for this.

Thug, will you be the one judging these songs? and How many submissions have you gotten so far?
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
The Thug
Vidmaster

Yes, I will be judging. So far I have received 0 submissions, but I'm sure I'll receive a few in February, if not before. I can't wait to hear your songs!
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm almost done my first one, if it makes anyone feel better.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

4 songs is a lot, but I'll give it a half-assed attempt. We'll see what I come out with. By the way, whatever happened to the last contest?
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
Dugit
Vidmaster

It's on Simplici7y here.

The Thug
Vidmaster

This reminds me: You have 1 month left before the deadline on the 26th.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Thank you, kind sir! When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless. [MLaugh]

Polished shit is a great gift for anyone with a certain kind of grin (the pictures on many a cereal box come to mind).

Question about the contest... Should the music be more geared toward gaming experience or a sentimental reflection on the level in question? Or somewhere between the two? The reason I ask is because some music works in the game but not outside of it, and vise versa.

By the way, my first piece is done, you can listen to it here
Last edited by SynthNinja on Jan 23rd '10, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
GOT MUSIC? I compose. CLICK HERE! Download my music free or request something tailored to your specifications by PMing me.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

as i am learning, it is SUPER hard to incorporate guitar into my songs for a marathon competition. I learned how to play the piano... yesterday, but almost the entire thing is piano... I seriously was not prepared for this...
Don't expect and epic if I can't make guitar sound good.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Does anyone think that this song would work for a level? I didn't make it for the game, but i could always just modify it so it loops. Or something.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

While it does not convey the sense of moving in 3-D space, it is a good loop and not terribly repetitive. I would suggest adding some effects such as reverb and/or delay. Think about what the levels are like pertaining to this contest. I would strongly suggest writing a piece from scratch. Three of the four are lava levels with fire yetis coming at you from out of the dark. You want to convey the purpose of the level but also its feel.
Last edited by SynthNinja on Jan 30th '10, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

One level is sewage.
Gmanyo, your song makes me feel like i lost a game of pong. I see you used garageband, so just switch the instrument to anything but bitcrusher.
Last edited by envy on Feb 5th '10, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Song 2 is uploaded here.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Good deal. Less than a week left.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well, it needs a bit of polishing that i don't have the time for, but... the more i listen to it the more acceptable the flaws become to my ears. anyway, the guitar is a tiny bit off near the end and the synth aspect is a bit abrupt... but its OK. Its 12 minutes long, but i don't want the intro playing more than once, so i just copied the second part over a hundred times. The song itself reflects the slow buildup in the level, and also its emptiness.
E're you go!

Edit: importer is screwin with me. Cant upload, ill try email, thug.
Last edited by envy on Feb 27th '10, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

So, uh, are the results out yet? Is this competition dead? I really hope not: I quite liked the idea of a fan-made soundtrack.
SynthNinja
Cyborg

Yeah. Where's my prize?
The Thug
Vidmaster

To tell you the truth, I forgot about this project. After looking through my stuff, I found two songs from SynthNinja and one from Envy.

@gmanyo - I'm not sure if you want to use the songs you posted in this thread or not as your submissions. Just let me know soon.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Thug wrote:To tell you the truth, I forgot about this project. After looking through my stuff, I found two songs from SynthNinja and one from Envy.

@gmanyo - I'm not sure if you want to use the songs you posted in this thread or not as your submissions. Just let me know soon.
I don't mind if you use them, but they're pretty sub-par. I mean, they're not really even finished. If we don't have enough contestants, I can try to make some songs or finish those ones up if anyone likes them at all. I'd like to, in fact.