Paradise Lost XVI

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
interion
Cyborg

Thanks! [spnkr]
Image Image
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Factoring in the four no-rocket revisions, this is now map 37: Landing Zone. It's somewhat large, more focus on shotguns but with rockets available too, as well as TOZT and other standard fare. I really like how this one turned out visually. Height as a feature again, but more of a thematic one than a practical one due to the many barriers and such.

Paradise Lost XIV will be on Simplici7y shortly.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Paradise Lost XIV on Simplici7y.

Just added the new maps and the no-rocket maps; I don't recall there being any bugs so there was nothing for me to fix in that regard.

Feedback is always appreciated, as ever.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Thanks again, Ryoko! [MGrin] [MUp]
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Feedback is always appreciated, as ever.
It sucks and I hate it, you don't deserve anything you have.

But seriously, I will check these maps when I haves more times. Stupid research paper.
localwarming
Cyborg

Landing Zone is a blast. It seems fitting to leave a note of appreciation.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

This is map 38: Satellite of Love. It's a smallish-medium map that's a bit lighter on ammo. While there are shotguns and rockets there's not a whole lot of ammo for each, so if you get 4 people in here you'll probably be switching weapons a fair bit. The aesthetic was inspired by Shattered Horizon, but I guess this map doesn't look quite as good. Almost.

Last edited by RyokoTK on Jan 23rd '10, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Dugit's Two Cents

Abattoir 5- 5/5. I love it. I enjoyed the small touches, and that ministaircase that lead to the Napalm-Invisibility reward. The aesthetics were cool; I liked your use of TGI textures. Only one small quibble...

...the two routes shown here could not exist in real life- they need 5D space to function. That was weird. Otherwise, an excellent map.

Thorn Keep- 4.75/5. I adored the map, but it seemed bland compared to your other maps. That's not to say it's a bad map, not at all.

Landing Zone- 5/5. This draws with Satellite of Love for the best new map. I loved the texturing; it seemed nicely realistic. Bravo on this one- it's an eyesore... no, what's the other word? Oh yes, magnificent.

Satellite of Love- 5/5. A staggeringly awesome map. The aesthetics were brilliant. It also, in my opinion, the best name of the new four. The little details and big were all astounding. I love it. Great job.

Vale,
Dugit
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I'm aware of the 5D space (there's actually a couple spots on Abattoir 5 that use it) but it's more important to me that the map flows smoothly than is physically realistic. There's a lot of places throughout Paradise Lost that have clipping issues I avoid with 5D space.

It's a good tool to use as long as it's not overdone.
Dugit
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:I'm aware of the 5D space (there's actually a couple spots on Abattoir 5 that use it) but it's more important to me that the map flows smoothly than is physically realistic. There's a lot of places throughout Paradise Lost that have clipping issues I avoid with 5D space.

It's a good tool to use as long as it's not overdone.
Oh, OK then. Thanks for clearing that up. [MUp]

effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I haven't played any new maps from the latest release yet, but I did have a round on Satellite of Love. Nicely done, sir! :) I'm still removing shrapnel from the SPNKR enema I received while checking out the landing pad. Ammo is plentiful for a 2 man game, btw.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Satellite of Love is a pretty intense map. It's definitely smaller than I thought it was.

I removed the 1x recharger because it's pretty useless. I got probably 3 or 4 revenge kills on $lave when he tried to heal after killing me in our test duel. I think 1x cans (like on Oculus ex Inferni) should work out a bit better. Man, I wish rechargers healed more quickly.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

More MML hackery! Today the CLIQUE discussed how to handle rechargers, and came up with this solution: all 1x rechargers heal at double speed (like 2x rechargers), but only to a maximum of 80% health. It takes about two seconds to heal up at maximum. This allows me to make 1x rechargers useful without overpowering them or relying on 1x canisters, which are a little more unreliable from a level design standpoint and function more like powerups anyway. This puts a little bit more strategy into bullet-oriented maps by giving more players an opportunity to score more than one kill before dying by attrition.

To that end, a lot of PL maps that have had their 1x rechargers removed have been restored in that regard, and any maps that had 1x canisters in lieu of rechargers have been swapped over accordingly.

Maps with new (or restored) rechargers:
- Biohazard: along a ledge in the southern area. Take a lift to access it.
- Metropolis Part I: restored; in the southwest area by the waterfall/drain area.
- Polaris: in the northeast corner, on the ledge.
- Satellite of Love: restored; just west of the hill.
- Hourglass: in the southeast corner of the main courtyard, just atop the lift.
- Paradigm Shift: restored; southeast corner on a low ledge; take the lift nearby to reach it.
- Oculus ex Inferni: restored; just north of the hill.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jan 21st '10, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Hmm... yeah. I think this might work- there's been many a time when I thought I was alone with my recharger...

Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Brilliant looking new maps, as always. Can't wait to try them out. Great idea with the rocket-free variants -- not that I mind rockets, but I think developing an alternate version of a map with different weapons is fantastic and maybe even aught to be the new standard for net map creation.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Map 39 is Junker Headquarters. It's sorta mediumish but it's very twisty and with lots of close quarters combat. Keep those shotguns ready.

Last edited by RyokoTK on Jan 23rd '10, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Dugit's Two Cents

Junker Headquarters- 4.75/5. The texturing was cool on the lower levels, but the upper levels lacked in comparison. However, the level itself feels slightly cramped, even for a small net level. That isn't to say this isn't an outstanding map, though, not at all.

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

A Clash of Kings is map 40.

Paradise Lost XV will be uploaded tonight.

RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Paradise Lost XV.

I promise this will be the last one for a while.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Played a few games yesterday with Junker Headquarters, Satellite of Love, as well as the new maps that debuted in Paradise Lost XIV. I love these new maps, Ryoko. Top notch stuff; keep up the phenomenal work! Also, how the hell are you making these so fast?!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I sold my soul a while ago and Satan granted me a few extra arms so I can multitask like crazy.
irons
Vidmaster

Clearly you are trying to tell us that TGIBX is just around the corner.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It's right around a corner, sure.

Not the upcoming corner, but...
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:I sold my soul a while ago and Satan granted me a few extra arms so I can multitask like crazy.
You mean you can grab both boobs and both cheeks at the same time? You lucky bastard....
Dugit
Vidmaster

Dugit's Two Cents

A Clash of Kings- 5/5. The map had both excellent architecture (I have an affinity with natural environments) and excellent gameplay potential- there was no place where I felt cramped. Nice job, sir.