OBED Thread

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Jul 23rd '06, 21:18

DAMN U MONEY!!!
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 24th '06, 00:08

Money makes the world go round.

Hey maybe instead of getting him to release his program source code we can convince him to add that 3D texturing. [MGrin] I think more people would like it after that. I bet he could use the Marathon source code in helping him.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jul 24th '06, 15:58

that would be cool. but im not made of money. and i cant use a credit card because im not old enough.

can someone quickly tell me what paypal is and if they use it for paying for OBED
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 24th '06, 23:22

I've been using OBED for quite awhile now (I'm on windows :(), but i have a quick question...

How do I make a polygon (or room) so that a player cannot pass through it (like an invisible wall sort-thing)?

EDIT: I tried to edit the polygon's properties to "Impassable," but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?
Last edited by stunt_man on Jul 24th '06, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

stunt_man

Post Jul 24th '06, 23:52

I'm afraid that isn't possible, stung_man. In Pfhorte2 you would select the polygon's side you want to make impassable and select the checkbox solid.

If you have a semi modern computer ( like 1-2ghz ) then you could go ahead and emulate a mac with basilisk.
Check this link for an easy way to do this.

Btw, the impassable you selected in obed actually means that an item isn't able to spawn there.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 25th '06, 13:12

Bobwithkeycard, YOU ARE A SAINT!!! I thank you so much for the link you posted!!!!!!!

GAH i feel like i can dance!!
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 25th '06, 13:44

I guess i spoke to soon, the download site said that you unzip and enjoy. i didnt enjoy anything, my computer couldnt run it because i was missing the file : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdenable.sys

can someone help me?
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 25th '06, 14:55

lol.

There's probably a problem with your installation of Windows. Are you running XP?

stunt_man

Post Jul 25th '06, 15:05

ya im running XP. besides, i bought the computer and used it from there, i didnt install windows
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 25th '06, 15:12

Hey, it doesn't work for me either... hmmmm...

stunt_man

Post Jul 25th '06, 15:22

Bobwithkeycard wrote:Good advice so far, but trash 'em all and go download this out-of-the-box package instead. It's a 90 mybte rocket with everything already in it.
Here's the topic about it in the story forums with the complete list of its contents [MUp]

Everything in it except something that works
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 25th '06, 15:54

the warning you described shows up when the cd-rom driver is missing in the drivers folder in system32 ( like in the path the warning message shows you ). You can get this file inside the basilisk directory in the folder 'cd-rom drivers' and havta put it in yourself.
This is only required to access the cd-rom drive from within the emulated mac environment. I'm also getting this warning message, but it doesnt prevent basilisk from starting. My guess is that the paths in the prefs are messed up beause you are using it in a different location than the guy who put it together.
Havta start the basiliskGUI and check what's up with the Rom image ( 'memory' tab ) and the HDD images ( 'disk' tab ).

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 25th '06, 16:25

thanks, i hope i can understand what you said, cuz i wanna make maps so bad

now it says the system32 file should only be in the cdenable spot, i put it back and it says its missing!!! GAH im confused!! why cant there just be a program where you dont have to move files around, where you just double click then it goes?!
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 25th '06, 18:05

I'm getting a "Cannot open ROM file" error...

Wow, I just noticed how off-topic this is getting... We should make a Mac Emulation thread...

Oh wait, I did, but it's already dead lol.

stunt_man

Post Jul 25th '06, 18:36

I'm getting a "Cannot open ROM file" error to. who can help us?!? pleeeease help!!
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 25th '06, 19:21

wait a minute, aleph one wasnt included in the download
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 25th '06, 20:52

Like I already wrote: you have to start the basiliskGUI ( GUI - Graphical User Interface ) and have to assign the rom path manually in the 'memory' tab as well as the path to the hard disk image 'MacHD.dsk' in the 'disk' tab. The reason behind this is that the author used this package in a different location from where you are using it. I can't spell it out for you any further

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 25th '06, 23:01

well, i already did that bobwithkeycard, but thanks
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 26th '06, 01:01

and you are still getting the "Cannot open ROM file" error? Can't quite imagine that. All i can say is that i even dled it myself and it works after having corrected the paths.
also seems that one has to change 'Screen type' in the 'screen' tab of the GUI from DirectX to Windows GDI in order to start the 3 Marathon in the emulated environment, otherwise the marathons complain that there is no monitor present that meets the minimum specifications.
Also keep in mind that Forge only runs in 256 color mode which also has to be set in the 'screen' tab of the GUI.

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 26th '06, 01:16

ppphhhhtt......when i did everything you just said, it had something new to say to me when i wanted to open marathon 2. it said

Invalid ROM size. Basilisk II requires a 512k or 1MB MacII ROM

Dammit i wish i had a mac
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 26th '06, 01:36

You wanted to open Marathon 2? That would mean that you already made it to the Mac OS 7.5.5 desktop. Are you saying that upon double clicking marathon 2 a windows alert windows showed up telling you that the ROM is of invalid size? That doesnt sounds very plausible.
The ROM is indeed a 1 Mbyte ROM and the GUI also verifies it upon selecting it. Can only tell you that it's possible to run this package.
If you want more advice then upload some screenshots of the GUI and the error message, plz.

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 26th '06, 13:08

RRRR!! There was a desktop im supposed to get to BEFORE running anything?!? man this is stupid.

Hell with it, macintosh here i come, cuz windows is bullshit
Masked boy
Ontario

Post Jul 26th '06, 16:39

Well, what did you expect to show up when starting a macintosh emulator if not the macintosh desktop? Perhaps the animation of a big boobed girl asking you whether you want to play marathon or start Forge? [MLaugh]

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 26th '06, 17:59

IPB Image
Do you want to play Marathon or start Forge?
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Jul 26th '06, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jul 26th '06, 19:37

K i'll just suggest this....the Batillisk 2 included in that software package is not the most recent version. It does not include a Just In Time emulaton method.

Go here: http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:basilisk2

Get the newest version, throw it in your existing package.

Downlad this http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
and put it in the Battilisk 2 folder if you havn't already.

Install the newest of this.
http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/...wcat.php?cid=12

Then click Batilisk II GUI, find the rom path under the rom and select it.

Since that 90 meg download came with a disk image, select that as a disk source.

Click start and see if it works.

Once you reach the desktop, Double click Hard Drive, and Look for the Marathon Folder.

Heres an image for yous.
(Ignore Sheepshaver, it is simply a PowerPC version of Batillisk II)
third picutre is A-10 Attack. OS is 8.6 which is why it looks different than 7.5.5
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Last edited by Zott on Jul 26th '06, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping