Marathon:Legend First Look

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Jul 19th '10, 06:43

This is Legend as of now.... One level-"A Normal Day at Work", one new Character (pictured, the MADDS are having some MAJOR issues, so i won't show them YET)

No new textures imported, although there certainly will be...
new weapons, but i wont show hem yet.
The fists are getting revamped soon, dont worry.
Attachments
ANormalDayatWork_0001.png
ANormalDayatWork_0001.png (417.02 KiB) Viewed 5199 times
ANormalDayatWork_0000.png
ANormalDayatWork_0000.png (310.08 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
ANormalDayatWork_0003.png
ANormalDayatWork_0003.png (420.72 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
ANormalDayatWork_0004.png
ANormalDayatWork_0004.png (366.91 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
ANormalDayatWork_0002.png
ANormalDayatWork_0002.png (317.61 KiB) Viewed 5211 times
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 19th '10, 06:48

Them some fancy lookin bobs.

Horkeldorf

Post Jul 19th '10, 06:54

Horkeldorf wrote:Them some fancy lookin bobs.

Yes Siree, took a week to make em, and they are meant to show those turtleneck sweater-wearin gun-totin BOB's what for.

or they could just go to a Disco.
They are dressed for either one.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 19th '10, 16:50

I like the bobs in the green but for reason the ones in red look like shit, it might just be me though. Is that the MA-75 from M1?
The Over-Evaluator

Truper

Post Jul 19th '10, 18:42

nice models
Marathon Speedrun Times: Discord
M1A1 - 26:57 - PB
M2 - 33:52 - PB
M2 - XBLA - 33:00 - WR
M2 - Coop with ApertureGrillz - 27:17 IGT/29:09 RTA - WR
MInf - 15:42 - PB
Minf all main levels - 27:49 - PB

TBCR
Raleigh,NC

Post Jul 19th '10, 19:41

Truper wrote:I like the bobs in the green but for reason the ones in red look like shit, it might just be me though. Is that the MA-75 from M1?

The Red ones.... well... I intend to make them a different color, prolly Black/gray
And all blue ones will be White

And all assimilated ones will be wearing industrial jumpsuits.

And yes, yes it is.

There May very well be hi res sprites released with this, for the weapons

The MA75 is the bmp at the bottom
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

fist_pawnch1.png
fist_pawnch1.png (81.36 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
fist_idle.png
fist_idle.png (82.63 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
fist_idle1.png
fist_idle1.png (92.61 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
Last edited by zero on Jul 19th '10, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 20th '10, 02:21

You should rely more on shading and less on your source texture for those fist sprites. I can tell if you show those frames in animation the texture will 'swim'. Also, the arms on your BoBs are held in unnatural positions, as if they are extremely tense. Look at real people in that stance for reference:
http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/z2...eModelFront.jpg

Crater Creator

Post Jul 20th '10, 03:16

Crater Creator wrote:You should rely more on shading and less on your source texture for those fist sprites. I can tell if you show those frames in animation the texture will 'swim'. Also, the arms on your BoBs are held in unnatural positions, as if they are extremely tense. Look at real people in that stance for reference:
http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/z2...eModelFront.jpg

Yeah, the fists arent perfect, and are subject to change, but still, we mthonners waited for 17 years to get a new fist sprite for PC/A1.
And yeah, I noticed the BOB arms, but god, it'd be too hard to change each pose.... So they will stay.

plus, these fists are true "High Resolution", because they are more than double the original.

They look Ok in Game.

I will burn the shaded areas and dodge hilights, and so, they will finally look less like beaten cast iron bricks.

they look fine in game to me... please define "swimming"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 20th '10, 04:02

DADDY Z3RO wrote:And yeah, I noticed the BOB arms, but god, it'd be too hard to change each pose.... So they will stay.

The first step down a long, apathetic road to greatness.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 20th '10, 04:05

I'd recommend learning to map before making an entire scenario, especially if your scenario is going to use new graphics. I might be willing to play through some of a scenario with unappealing maps if it were just an infinity scenario to give the creator some sort of feedback, but new graphics make that both less appealing and more difficult to do.

If you want to go through with a project like this right away that's clearly your choice, but don't expect to impress anyone. I'm not trying to say that you should give up and never make a project, just that you're getting ahead of yourself. Based on the screenshots you've posted I can safely say that you haven't learned to texture or light a map well, and that your maps lack any sort of architecture, depth or detail. This would be okay if you were just posting a first map to get feedback on, but you're actually planning on releasing of a scenario of this.

Just incase you want to say that these are only early versions of the maps that you will finally release, I'll mention that you aren't actually going to improve on these maps by much by posting screenshots to the pfhorums as part of a scenario. Scenarios are a lot of work, and it's probably in your interest to wait until all the work you put into a scenario will actually pay off.

$lave

Post Jul 20th '10, 05:14

DADDY Z3RO wrote:they look fine in game to me... please define "swimming"

Swimming usually refers to a defect in animated 3D models using procedural textures that haven't been 'baked' onto the model. In your case the sprites are hand-drawn, but the effect is similar. As the hand moves, the texture doesn't move in the same way. Look at the details as it animates:
[attachment=3984:WIH_fist.gif]
You can tell, it's as if somebody took three copies of the same piece of paper, and cut out three different fist shapes to create the illusion of motion. The details of the texture can't stay in the same spot when the whole shape is meant to change position.
Attachments
WIH_fist.gif
WIH_fist.gif (60.12 KiB) Viewed 5183 times

Crater Creator

Post Jul 20th '10, 05:38

This looks awful. And about your fist(??) graphic, the higher the resolution, the more apparent it is that your images are ugly as hell. You should really get better at this before you post anything online, or you're just going to look like an idiot. On the other hand, this place has been pretty boring lately, so I won't say anything else if you want to continue to entertain us.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 20th '10, 08:35

Crater Creator wrote:[attachment=3984:WIH_fist.gif]

You should make the fist a ranged weapon.
Tweak the fist so only the middle finger sticks up.
Make it fire invisible SPNKR rounds.
So now, it looks like your killing groups of enemies by flipping them the bird.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 20th '10, 08:42

Are you not going to put in the brass knuckles and just have bare fists? That would not be cool, because brass knuckles kicks ass!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Jul 20th '10, 09:01

With all seriousness, why not just use the original?
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Jul 20th '10, 12:30

I especially love the bleeding streak of green at the bottom [MGrin]
I agree with moppy, if it's just the same ole fist on the same cyborg, why remake it?
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Jul 20th '10, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly

Post Jul 20th '10, 14:19

brilliant wrote:Are you not going to put in the brass knuckles and just have bare fists? That would not be cool, because brass knuckles kicks ass!

I have been considering it.... I love them, but it may have to wait untill maybe the beta for me to implement them... the hand is already drawn in a manner that makes it difficult to add them, but i guess i can always try.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd recommend learning to map before making an entire scenario, especially if your scenario is going to use new graphics. I might be willing to play through some of a scenario with unappealing maps if it were just an infinity scenario to give the creator some sort of feedback, but new graphics make that both less appealing and more difficult to do.

If you want to go through with a project like this right away that's clearly your choice, but don't expect to impress anyone. I'm not trying to say that you should give up and never make a project, just that you're getting ahead of yourself. Based on the screenshots you've posted I can safely say that you haven't learned to texture or light a map well, and that your maps lack any sort of architecture, depth or detail. This would be okay if you were just posting a first map to get feedback on, but you're actually planning on releasing of a scenario of this.

Just incase you want to say that these are only early versions of the maps that you will finally release, I'll mention that you aren't actually going to improve on these maps by much by posting screenshots to the pfhorums as part of a scenario. Scenarios are a lot of work, and it's probably in your interest to wait until all the work you put into a scenario will actually pay off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

me:
I am not going to go off and just rush this, i will let it rest after i get done with the graphics. Then I can make some maps for the community.

And the reason that it looks like the lighting is bad is because this is intended to be the "Sterile and clean" portion of the sip, with harsh lights.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I especially love the bleeding streak of green at the bottom
I agree with moppy, if it's just the same ole fist on the same cyborg, why remake it?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

me:
Its a different person.

And the reasoning in making a new one is because in my opinion (as well as some other individuals), the fists barely changed from M1, and even then, they have never really looked.... Whats the word.... Good.

Bungie outdid themselves on every in-hand sprite but the hands, basically.

Plus, I think that maybe other Scenario makers could use my fists, it would do me proud, and be an improvement.

And finally, I am to make a new map to showcase some more things in-game.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Swimming usually refers to a defect in animated 3D models using procedural textures that haven't been 'baked' onto the model. In your case the sprites are hand-drawn, but the effect is similar. As the hand moves, the texture doesn't move in the same way. Look at the details as it animates:
You can tell, it's as if somebody took three copies of the same piece of paper, and cut out three different fist shapes to create the illusion of motion. The details of the texture can't stay in the same spot when the whole shape is meant to change position.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
me:
AH..... I see!

You are right, however, the very last frame looks as if the texture moved...
You should make the fist a ranged weapon.
Tweak the fist so only the middle finger sticks up.
Make it fire invisible SPNKR rounds.
So now, it looks like your killing groups of enemies by flipping them the bird.
me:
thank you.
This looks awful. And about your fist(??) graphic, the higher the resolution, the more apparent it is that your images are ugly as hell. You should really get better at this before you post anything online, or you're just going to look like an idiot. On the other hand, this place has been pretty boring lately, so I won't say anything else if you want to continue to entertain us.
me:
Wrk, i must wonder why you have to post such nasty commentary on things that i worked on.
I hate the "contact" frame of animation, his fist looks not good there, if that's what you are hating on.
In the future, mind that some people might like this sprite, and that there is no reason to be so rude.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I redid the last frame... Looks much more like a fist and less like a brown ball of nothingness
Attachments
fist_pawnch1.png
fist_pawnch1.png (76.88 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
Last edited by zero on Jul 20th '10, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 20th '10, 14:56

DADDY Z3RO wrote:And the reason that it looks like the lighting is bad is because this is intended to be the "Sterile and clean" portion of the sip, with harsh lights.

You'll have a better experience here if you accept people's feedback rather than rationalizing your own shortcomings.
Last edited by treellama on Jul 20th '10, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jul 20th '10, 15:39

Treellama wrote:You'll have a better experience here if you accept people's feedback rather than rationalizing your own shortcomings.

understood, just wanted to make sure they knew that.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 20th '10, 17:43

DADDY Z3RO wrote:You are right, however, the very last frame looks as if the texture moved...

actually, the transition from the 2nd to 3rd frames looks more reasonable than the 1st to 2nd. there the texture doesn't move at all, despite the arm's rotation.

gonna echo others before me: Please stop.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Jul 20th '10, 19:43

Great progress man. Bobs and fist sprites. It's not so easy to do these things the first time. Are you going to make some custom textures too? There's a lot of good texture material at cgtextures.com Highly recomended.

goran

Post Jul 21st '10, 01:53

G.S.10 wrote:Great progress man. Bobs and fist sprites. It's not so easy to do these things the first time. Are you going to make some custom textures too? There's a lot of good texture material at cgtextures.com Highly recomended.

Thanks for the positive feedback...
I am actually, not as of right now, just got a new PC, and I intend to spend a lot of time to recover all of my files (the new PC is good, but it does not have multiple Hard Drive space)

Ill check it out.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 22nd '10, 00:30

First off the thumb can't be in that position, it would break. When making a fist you must keep the thumb to the side. Next off is anatomy and perspective. Unless the player is doing an upper cut you would not see that much of the fingers.
Last edited by ellio7t on Jul 22nd '10, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Jul 22nd '10, 02:25

ellio7t wrote:First off the thumb can't be in that position, it would break. When making a fist you must keep the thumb to the side. Next off is anatomy and perspective. Unless the player is doing an upper cut you would not see that much of the fingers.

Examine the original very closely.... Ok? Good....

I took resized pieces of the original sprites to make mine, the posing is the same.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Jul 22nd '10, 02:34

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Examine the original very closely.... Ok? Good....

I took resized pieces of the original sprites to make mine, the posing is the same.

"I knowingly took bad pieces of work and copied them to make new bad pieces of work even though I did mine from scratch."

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Next

Return to Projects