Marathon Trojan revival?

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

W wrote:Please upload some screenshots of the beginning room at different angles.
The Pfhorums is plagued by skeptics.
Skeptics about?
Just about everything I think.

You could say you beat a the original trilogy on Total Carnage and everyone is going to ask for a recording.
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

W wrote:Please upload some screenshots of the beginning room at different angles.
Here ya go!
[attachment=4048:Archanga...ath_0004.png]
Attachments
Arrival_0005.png
Arrival_0005.png (543.45 KiB) Viewed 10769 times
Arrival_0004.png
Arrival_0004.png (568.64 KiB) Viewed 10767 times
Arrival_0003.png
Arrival_0003.png (570.46 KiB) Viewed 10768 times
Arrival_0002.png
Arrival_0002.png (755.08 KiB) Viewed 10767 times
Arrival_0001.png
Arrival_0001.png (966.93 KiB) Viewed 10768 times
Arrival_0000.png
Arrival_0000.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 10767 times
ArchangaelDeath_0009.png
ArchangaelDeath_0009.png (760.52 KiB) Viewed 10768 times
ArchangaelDeath_0008.png
ArchangaelDeath_0008.png (841.08 KiB) Viewed 10766 times
ArchangaelDeath_0007.png
ArchangaelDeath_0007.png (655.05 KiB) Viewed 10767 times
ArchangaelDeath_0006.png
ArchangaelDeath_0006.png (673.5 KiB) Viewed 10769 times
ArchangaelDeath_0005.png
ArchangaelDeath_0005.png (740.03 KiB) Viewed 10768 times
ArchangaelDeath_0004.png
ArchangaelDeath_0004.png (804.43 KiB) Viewed 10770 times
ArchangaelDeath_0003.png
ArchangaelDeath_0003.png (884.49 KiB) Viewed 10768 times
ArchangaelDeath_0002.png
ArchangaelDeath_0002.png (725.68 KiB) Viewed 10768 times
ArchangaelDeath_0001.png
ArchangaelDeath_0001.png (773.52 KiB) Viewed 10772 times
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

MoppyPuppy wrote:The Pfhorums is plagued by skeptics.
Skeptics about?
Just about everything I think.

You could say you beat a the original trilogy on Total Carnage and everyone is going to ask for a recording.
but i have PROOF!
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Wow, that's great!

Except for the fact that it's supposed to look like this:

Notice the light? And that's just in the first room. I don't have time to go through and point out the bullshit in all of those pictures. Those files are just plain broken. So, to recap:
W wrote:Unless you're willing to play this from the executable that the Trojan installer gives you, or you're willing to make major modifications to the shapes/sounds yourself, don't even bother with this.
I don't think there needs to be any more discussion about this.
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

W wrote:Wow, that's great!

Except for the fact that it's supposed to look like this:

Notice the light? And that's just in the first room. I don't have time to go through and point out the bullshit in all of those pictures. Those files are just plain broken. So, to recap:
I don't think there needs to be any more discussion about this.
oh i see your point now. well its playable, thats something.
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

hmmm... so these files are buggy under A1... what if someone made an lua or mml that substituted the broken parts of it with the right textures? they would have to be a separate download though...
irons
Vidmaster

Go for it.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
FlashMan1294
Born on Board

irons wrote:Go for it.
whoa whoa whoa i'm a total noob at that stuff. where would i start?
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

FlashMan1294 wrote:btw i downloaded the iso with firefox. and it still turned up corrupt. i think its cause its in a zip file.
I tried it, and the iso worked for me. The iso file needs to be taken out of the zip file for it to run. However, I did have two issues. When I ran the cd, and clicked the Install Marathon 2 button, it did not respond. It would work if I would go through the cd through the explorer window and find the setup file, but the setup file said it was going to install an old version of DirectX and I don't think it was going to give me the option not to, so I didn't install. Maybe these problems were just with me, though. I was able to run the M2 file off the cd, enter the serial number, and have it run fine, and I suppose the game could be installed manually. Also, this reminds me, I remember the Mac version of the Marathon 2 Durandal cd having a lot of folders close together to form a picture that is the chapter screen right when you start the game. I think that is so cool. Does anyone know if it will work on windows?
Last edited by brilliant on Aug 7th '10, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Just wondering, would it work with the win95 demo?

I bought a cheap antique 1996 PC GAMER demo sampler disk, and I still have it, as well as win95 marathon durandal's demo....

I would zip the finished files for all of you guys if it works.
"Escape will make me God"
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:No, they very clearly said they did not want anyone to release a version compatible with Aleph One, unless it was them.
I know they must have some crazy reason, but why do they want to stop us from making an A1 version
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

DADDY Z3RO wrote:I know they must have some crazy reason, but why do they want to stop us from making an A1 version
from what I remember the main reason being stated back then was that it wasn't possible to play Trojan's music in AlephOne (or M2/inf for that matter). With the music being an important part of the scenario they felt that it'd be a slap in the face of the music composers involved, if everything were to be transfered to work in the modern day marathon app except the music. Also with Trojan being a scenario of the hightest standards there were doubts if the quality level would be upheld if an unknown person were to transfer it on its own.
Besides, they even came up with a really inventive way to hide the M1 phyics model of Trjoan back then, another hint that they do not wish that other people were to tamper with their files, as sad as that is for the playability of the scenario.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

So lets get this straight, they think that it is impossible to port it as-is so they won't allow it to be ported at all, but they made it impossible to fix what is wrong by stopping us from tampering with the files?
odd....

Anyway, will it work with M2 demo, which is installerless
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

DADDY Z3RO wrote:So lets get this straight, they think that it is impossible to port it as-is so they won't allow it to be ported at all, but they made it impossible to fix what is wrong by stopping us from tampering with the files?
odd....

Anyway, will it work with M2 demo, which is installerless
it was impossible when the decision was made. You're free to convince them otheriwse, though. But even with the potential AlephOne has now the quality issue still remains and I doubt it'll be easy to convince them otherwise.
If I remember corretly, then it is not possible with the M2demo, I tried that years ago. I believe it check's the exe's file size..but don't take my word for it.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
goran
Vidmaster

Our grand children will port trojan when the trojan team's copyright have ceased to exist. They will play that shit on aleph two and have the last laugh.
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

G.S.10 wrote:Our grand children will port trojan when the trojan team's copyright have ceased to exist. They will play that shit on aleph two and have the last laugh.
Aleph Two will feature the ability to perform chores for you as you use it, it will also protect you from all diseases and cancers, it will end world hunger, and cure Wilford Brimley of the beetus, also, it will obtain world peace and win the Nobel Peace prize for being Aleph Two.

These are a few of the features.

However, in the future where Aleph Two exists, this is an average list of features for games and emulators...
irons
Vidmaster

Aleph Two exists already. It is programmed in Haskell.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

I got it to work properly with the M2 iso, wow, it's definitely old and dated, but not the worst thing i've ever seen.

I enjoyed it thus far, the puzzles aren't too frustrating, and can be solved quickly, such as the "lava pit" grenade/switch puzzle which was a good idea, i prefer that over a "press 40 switches and hope that that sequence makes the bridge come up" type puzzle.
treellama
Vidmaster

Not really on topic, but since it was mentioned here by multiple people, the problem that was corrupting Internet Explorer downloads from trilogyrelease.bungie.org has now been fixed.

On topic, a couple solutions exist that don't involve waiting for Trojan's copyright to expire:A cross-platform script that extracts the Trojan M2 content and creates Aleph One compatible data files, from the original Trojan M2 downloadFinishing support for original Marathon data files, and an equivalent script to create Aleph One compatible files from the original Trojan downloadFinally, if someone would like to try contacting the Trojan authors again about an Aleph One compatible release (music isn't an issue now, for example: someone would just have to rip the MIDI to AIFF using the old QuickTime, and then convert to Ogg), it's been a few years, and minds change. We were able to get an updated Tempus Irae despite the authors' original attitude that it would never happen.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 12th '10, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

http://traxus.bungie.org/index.php/Main_Page

Do you notice something different here ?
I may have taken the liberty of putting some handy information there...
treellama
Vidmaster

Would it happen to be the same information you already posted in this thread?

Do you know what RSS is?
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Would it happen to be the same information you already posted in this thread?

Do you know what RSS is?
Yes, it is mainly the same, I put it there so that anyone who went to traxus would at least have that available to them.
There was absolutely no information there minus the general author info.
And I know what RSS is.
Sphting Distance
Born on Board

Any updates to this situation?
HunterOfShadows
Cyborg

G.S.10 wrote:Our grand children will port trojan when the trojan team's copyright have ceased to exist. They will play that shit on aleph two and have the last laugh.
I might point out that they have no copyrights, marathon is freeware
It's Moppy

Just don't listen