Guns Against Death

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

DOWNLOAD

This is my second net map, although in a lot of ways it's my first...it's my first map in nearly 15 years, my first map using Weland, and my first map using Visual Mode.lua. Some of you may recognize this map. It has remained relatively unchanged since early February. It has also been play-tested again recently.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated -- especially if you have any ideas on how to improve it.

[attachment=4098:GunsAgai...ath_0000.png]

[attachment=4099:GunsAgai...ath_0001.png]

[attachment=4100:GunsAgai...ath_0002.png]

[attachment=4101:GunsAgai...ath_0003.png]

There is a slight issue I'm having with a section on the top level that has a circular opening on each end (see third screenshot). This texture from the lava set only permits a small percentage of projcectles to pass through. If anyone knows of a way to make that texture completely intangible, allowing all projectiles to pass through it 100% of the time, please let me know!

And thank you very much, to all those who helped play-test this map!

Edit: Uploaded map to Simplici7y. Screenshots cropped.
Attachments
GunsAgainstDeath_0003.png
GunsAgainstDeath_0003.png (481.04 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
GunsAgainstDeath_0002.png
GunsAgainstDeath_0002.png (170.21 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
GunsAgainstDeath_0001.png
GunsAgainstDeath_0001.png (341.66 KiB) Viewed 6832 times
GunsAgainstDeath_0000.png
GunsAgainstDeath_0000.png (376.65 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Aug 12th '10, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Transparent textures cannot be totally intangible.

I would actually ditch that texture entirely, since it's generally accepted that fence textures are impassible.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Transparent textures cannot be totally intangible.

I would actually ditch that texture entirely, since it's generally accepted that fence textures are impassible.
I've definitely been considering doing that.
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

Playing it, I never found it blocking projectiles to be a problem. All you have to do is step outside of it and you're shooting people again.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dis wrote:Playing it, I never found it blocking projectiles to be a problem. All you have to do is step outside of it and you're shooting people again.
Yeah, if you know it's there, it's pretty easy to avoid. Plus it's a unique look. Those are two reasons I haven't yet removed it.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

This is an awesome map! I always have fun playing on it. As for the texture on the higher level, it is, like you said, a slight issue. It doesn't really effect the game play that much.
Last edited by brilliant on Aug 8th '10, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Yeah, if you know it's there, it's pretty easy to avoid.
This is basically never a good approach to netmap design.

I mean, ultimately, when I played on it I assumed it was solid and never went through it. There are other exits from the room, and it's not really a big deal. Nonetheless...
Last edited by RyokoTK on Aug 8th '10, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

brilliant wrote:This is an awesome map! I always have fun playing on it. As for the texture on the higher level, it is, like you said, a slight issue. It doesn't really effect the game play that much.
Thanks!
RyokoTK wrote:This is basically never a good approach to netmap design.
This is the same thing my gut told me. I may end up listening to it yet....
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

The title alone is enough to make this map great.

Will play later; looks pretty good.
Last edited by gmanyo on Aug 8th '10, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Version 1.1 is now available.

In this latest version, I came up with a new way of preventing accidental auto-switch (at least, I've never seen it done before). On the top level, there's now a small compartment with an AR in it. You have to open a little door if you want to get it, and the door opens and shuts really fast -- just enough time for you to grab it as you run by. And since players can't pick up weapons through doors, accidentally auto-switching is virtually impossible. The quadruple stack of the weapon also makes it reliable. Other factors that seem to make it work well include the thinness of the door, the closeness of the weapon to the door, and the width of the door.

I'm not advocating this weapon compartment idea be used everywhere, but it's a useful method if you want to place a weapon in a room where accidental auto-switch is likely to occur.
treellama
Vidmaster

Dealing with auto-switch is an important part of net play. I've lost some of my twitch factor, and almost all of my ability to aim, but I have enough practice with the weapon switching that it compensates a bit. Maybe this is why I do so poorly on Paradise Lost maps.

You might as well have gone with that solution, if you are intent on making it more difficult for me to win. I doubt anybody is going to tab a door just to grab an AR, unless the rest of the level is really stingy on weapons, but then who would play it.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 14th '10, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Dealing with auto-switch is an important part of net play. I've lost some of my twitch factor, and almost all of my ability to aim, but I have enough practice with the weapon switching that it compensates a bit. Maybe this is why I do so poorly on Paradise Lost maps.
Do you refer here to the weapons-on-spawn or the fact that there are just a bazillion guns everywhere on PL maps?
treellama
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Do you refer here to the weapons-on-spawn or the fact that there are just a bazillion guns everywhere on PL maps?
AR-on-spawn. It was sort of a joke, though--I think the real reason is because I haven't completely mastered the architecture and flow. That's why I look forward to playing them :)
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:AR-on-spawn. It was sort of a joke, though--I think the real reason is because I haven't completely mastered the architecture and flow. That's why I look forward to playing them :)
Oh, that's coo-- heeeey!
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:You might as well have gone with that solution, if you are intent on making it more difficult for me to win. I doubt anybody is going to tab a door just to grab an AR.
Well if nobody is going to use the door, then it won't alter the score!

Treellama wrote:I think the real reason is because I haven't completely mastered the architecture and flow. That's why I look forward to playing them :)
Oddly this is familiar to me, as if it were from a nightmare.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Oddly this is familiar to me, as if it were from a nightmare.
lol