Spam

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

We're getting many times more posts from spambots than before. Has something changed about the Pfhorums to cause that? The spam we're getting now is from new users, making replies to old threads. I suggest requiring new users to post on the Welcome forum before they can post at all, rather than only to post new threads.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Huh, I was always under the impression that you couldn't post at all. But seriously, this is getting really annoying.
irons
Vidmaster

It happens in waves, guys. Nothing to panic about.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

This looks like a job for Fobot and the Cyber League of Antarctica.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
$lave

As irons said, waves of spam like this happen. It isn't the first time, and hopefully it will subside soon. If it doesn't I can consider only allowing users to make their first post in the Welcome forum, or try to find a better way of deterring spam.
Last edited by $lave on Jan 7th '11, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

You know, what I really don't get is how they think this is going to be profitable. If anything, it's going to directly cause us NOT to go to the sites being advertised.
relotixke
Born on Board

TectonInd wrote:You know, what I really don't get is how they think this is going to be profitable. If anything, it's going to directly cause us NOT to go to the sites being advertised.

They just want to post a link on as many sites as possible. They don't need you to actually go to their website for it to marginally increase their page rank.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

I don't think we're the only ones. I read this on another forum.
?let me state that this is a global problem, affecting more forums across the web than before due to the breaking of the ReCAPTCHA method of verification.
Is ReCAPTCHA the "typing in the letters you see in this box" you get when you register?
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

ReCAPTCHA is a particular flavor of CAPTCHA, the "typing in the letters you see in this box" you refer to. ReCAPTCHA has tha added benefit of helping digitize archived issues of the New York Times. CAPTCHAs get broken from time to time, and the people who make them usually update them fairly quickly.
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob
irons
Vidmaster

Congrats, dudes. This thread is a spammer target now. Thanks for all the good times.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps