OFFICIAL Netpackmap Competition

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Okay guys, here's the real deal. None of that rookie stuff we've seen earlier; it's time for a real netmap competition!

Here are the base REQUIREMENTS for submission:

-Must have at least 2 spawn points
-Must use all texture sets
-Must be some sort of factory. I don't care what type, just has to be a factory.
-Must be ORIGINAL. If I see anything that looks like a ripoff of another map, I'll disqualify you. Unless it looks like an et*n map, in which case I don't care and you're free to rip him off as much as you want.

Now that that's covered, let's move on to the criteria:

NAME - 10 POINTS. This one's pretty simple. You get ten points if you make a factory map with "factory" in the title. Bonus points essentially! But I'm sure there will be at least one non-factory submission, which I may consider disqualifying 'cause.
FLOW - 5 POINTS. What I'm looking for here is an easy to navigate map. Pretty easy to do.
LAYOUT - 15 POINTS. What will get you points here are LARGE NONMOVING LIQUID COLUMNS. Those are great to increase variety in layout. So are random ledges and weird (artsy!) platform things that have pointed edges and don't necessarily go anywhere (going anywhere is overrated anyways).
TEXTURING - 40 POINTS. I know some of you guys' texturing abilities currently sucks, and that's why I'm making this the toughest category. The good news is, more textures from different texture sets gets you more points!
WEAPON BALANCE - 21 POINTS. The best way to get a completely unbiased weapon placement is to turn on the random placement option. But you can place your own weapons.

TOTAL: 91 pts

13 submissions per user.
The deadline is flexible depending on turnout. If I get a good number of entries, I'll close the competition in three weeks (September 2nd).

The top five submissions will be released and/or scorned. Email submissions to benruss777 (at) gmail.com. Good luck!
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 19th '11, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

You know what sucks? I didn't see wrk's competition below. Go figure. In any case, this competition's still on because it's different.
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 19th '11, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Can we rip off our own maps?

If RyokoTK isn't ever going to finish Project X, I think Kr'tor could be fixed up and submitted.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 19th '11, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Can we rip off our own maps?

If RyokoTK isn't ever going to finish Project X, I think Kr'tor could be fixed up and submitted.
I'm not. Please use it.
unclenate
Born on Board

im honored to be such an inspiration to you wind...
If I had a rocket launcher, I'd make myself pay.
unclenate
Born on Board

Windbreaker wrote:You weren't an inspiration to me, Etan, this was.

ah, ok...
treellama
Vidmaster

Windbreaker wrote:Do you have factory maps lying around?
Do I!
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Windbreaker wrote:You weren't an inspiration to me, Etan, this was.
In that case, I assume I win by default. The contest is to see who gets second place.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

W wrote:In that case, I assume I win by default. The contest is to see who gets second place.
Shhhh! In any case, you still have the option to make twelve more maps, so you could even win second place too! What a confidence booster!

But if someone does manage to make a factory that I like more than Cola factory, well... I don't know how that will happen, but someone could surprise me.
unclenate
Born on Board

Windbreaker wrote:Shhhh! In any case, you still have the option to make twelve more maps, so you could even win second place too! What a confidence booster!

But if someone does manage to make a factory that I like more than Cola factory, well... I don't know how that will happen, but someone could surprise me.

what if i named my map, 'factory factory'. as in a factory that makes other factories? would i get extra points?
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Do I!
I hope it's Werefactory!
"My advise: V" - g pack
quartz
Cyborg

since no one really gave a crap about my contest, I might as well try to put in for this one.

I have questions though:

"Must use all texture sets"
do you mean at least one texture from each set, or all textures from all sets, or what? how strict is this? can I, say, use 80% of the 4 sets but totally ignore the other?

"Must be some sort of factory. I don't care what type, just has to be a factory."
does it have to be an operational factory? can it be abandoned or half destroyed or whatever?

can we use custom mml/physics?

can we use an embedded shapes patch?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

You're taking this entirely too seriously. For what it's worth, I made a totally retarded map for your contest, if it ends up being a real thing.
quartz
Cyborg

W wrote:You're taking this entirely too seriously. For what it's worth, I made a totally retarded map for your contest, if it ends up being a real thing.
go ahead and post it. maybe it'll get things going.
treellama
Vidmaster

brilliant wrote:I hope it's Werefactory!
Noooooooooo don't spoil the surprise!

Oh well, I'm out.
quartz
Cyborg

Etan wrote:what if i named my map, 'factory factory'. as in a factory that makes other factories? would i get extra points?
how about "fart factory"? or would that be immediate disqualification?
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

quartz wrote:"Must use all texture sets"
do you mean at least one texture from each set, or all textures from all sets, or what? how strict is this? can I, say, use 80% of the 4 sets but totally ignore the other?
It's pretty open on this one, but my hope is people will use as many different textures from all the sets as they can. Variety!
"Must be some sort of factory. I don't care what type, just has to be a factory."
does it have to be an operational factory? can it be abandoned or half destroyed or whatever?
It really just has to have the word factory in the title.
can we use custom mml/physics?
can we use an embedded shapes patch?
Did I say you couldn't?

Treellama wrote:Noooooooooo don't spoil the surprise!

Oh well, I'm out.
:C
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Noooooooooo don't spoil the surprise!

Oh well, I'm out.
Oh no! Actually what I meant to say was, I can't wait for your super cool factory map that I have no idea what it could possibly be! So ignore my previous post!
"My advise: V" - g pack
quartz
Cyborg

ok, so here's my entry.

notes:

- this map has issues and is questionably playable. repeatedly ripping out and re-doing rooms got to be a real chore though, so I'm going to cut my loses and submit it as-is. it's pretty ridiculous anyway, I'm not sure it's even worth cleaning up.

- as I've said before in other threads, I have no one to play with so I ballparked all the item spawn rates. the weapons and ammo seem ok, I'm less sure about the powerups.

- there are high-level monsters but they shouldn't show up at all if the checkbox is off. if this isn't good enough for people, tough shit.

- the 1x generator will work but you have to turn the box on first.
Attachments
The_Old_Factory.zip
(68.16 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
quartz
Cyborg

quartz wrote:notes:
forgot to mention: I ran out of ideas almost as soon as I began and whole chunks of the map suck. that underground tube was supposed to go somewhere but I just couldn't think of anything. I was going to crop it off before I submitted it, but forgot. if someone really thinks the map is worth something maybe I'll go back and mess with it more, but I'm kinda mapped-out right now.