Doctor Who

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Does anyone watch this awesome Show?
Cathunter
Cyborg

listener wrote:Does anyone watch this awesome Show?
Yes.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sweet!

What is your favorite episode?
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

listener wrote:favourite episode?
[attachment=5219:timelessTest.jpg]
Attachments
timelessTest.jpg
timelessTest.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 13805 times
Cathunter
Cyborg

listener wrote:Sweet!

What is your favorite episode?
Since 1963?
ODST276
Born on Board

I watch this wonderful show. I really like the fourth Doctor the best.
The new series are getting too... stupid. I really liked how they spanded the Silence for two seasons, but River Song is, in my opinion, quite a lame character.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

listener wrote:Does anyone watch this awesome Show?
Nope. Nobody at all. Definitely not even close to the most popular show on BBC.

Other posters here are figments of your imagination.

(Also, new series 5 and 6 rock, Eleven rocks even harder than Ten which I didn't think was possible, bow ties are cool, and Amy-Rory-River rock the Doctor's world. [Oh my, there has to be fan fiction about that....]).
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Cathunter
Cyborg

ODST276 wrote:River Song is, in my opinion, quite a lame character.
Better watch your back, sweetie...
xdedge
Cyborg

ODST... you just don't appreciate the way that it shows the difficulties of time travel.
Cathunter.... How old ARE you?
Ive been watching since the guy before David Tenet.

Creepest episode ever... David Tenet Weeping Angels.
Marathon:Recharge
ODST276
Born on Board

xdedge wrote:ODST... you just don't appreciate the way that it shows the difficulties of time travel.
I beg to differ, at first River Song was okay (Silence in the Library,) and the events around the Pandorica, she was okay also, but to me, the "Let's Kill Hitler" episode was stupid. They had something philosophical to tell, but they ruined that with the Mel character and all the funny parts.

What I did like about the "Let's kill Hitler" episode was at the last part when Amy asks the Doctor for help and the Doctor was crawling up the stairs to get to the TARDIS, but he couldn't make it. That is what I love about the show is how much he is willing to give up for his friends.

But yes, I love the story arcs from the past and present series.
Last edited by ODST276 on Sep 17th '11, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
xdedge
Cyborg

I'll admit that the plot was stupid..but the concept is pretty cool.
Cathunter
Cyborg

xdedge wrote:I'll admit that the plot was stupid..but the concept is pretty cool.

I'm old enough to have been watching Tom Baker from behind the settee [MSmile]

I agree the scene with bullets & bananas in Let's Kill Hitler was reminiscent of the "Sofa of Reasonable Comfort" and River Song's personality change seemed odd (why didn't Mel just shoot him at first sight?, why the change if she's a programmed assassin?) but until then her character made an excellent counterpart to both Doctors.

Cathunter
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Cathunter wrote:why didn't Mel just shoot him at first sight?
Cops were on her tail, she needed a getaway first.
why the change if she's a programmed assassin?
The Doctor broke her programming by sheer overpowering awesomeness and personal charisma. Either that or reverse psychology, either is plausible. (He told "Mels" to tell "River Song" that nobody could save him, thus prompting her to find out that she was River Song, and save him just because she was told she couldn't. Though personally I think this is foreshadowing for Lake Silencio; he was telling her to make sure that nobody saves him, or that nobody tries to, when the time comes. Then again, I also think that the Doctor and River are going to have a kid who ends up being the first of the Time Lords [and so its own distant ancestor, but the River arc is full of ontological paradox anyway], so I may be a conspiracy nut).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Sep 19th '11, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
xdedge
Cyborg

If your not a conspiracy nut, the show loses...its....
Whatever.

Its all about the conspiracy man

BTW Who saw the new episode?
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

New episode tonight....

8:00 on channel 135 bbc
ODST276
Born on Board

listener wrote:New episode tonight....

8:00 on channel 135 bbc
Well I didn't get to watch last nights episode (on bbca) becuase I was tied up with Mass Effect 2... yeah, I know that's not a good excuse, but I got to watch a re-run of the "The God Complex" which was quite good.

What did you think of the "Christmas Carol" special last year?
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

I liked it. Not a lot of shows really have that feeling of hum-bugism, or they try and end up doing a half-*** job at it.

BIG NEWS... If you've missed some of the episodes, or want to get hooked on a great T.V show, an ENTIRE who marathon (Whoathon)
airs next saterday!!!
ODST276
Born on Board

Just watched the final episode for this year... Even though it seemed a bit to much for one episode, It wasn't stupid like "Let's Kill Hilter." I think it really showed who the Eleventh Doctor truly is (other than a mad man with a box.)

Although I now have a burning desire to get out my old First and Second Doctor episodes...
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Kk.

who else didn't see this coming?
I AM FREAKING OUT,not really.
doctor WHO
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I thought it was kind of lame, actually. Most of the episode for that matter. Though Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchhill returning to Buckingham Senate on his personal mammoth was pretty hilarious.

I will make a prediction: we know that River knows the Doctor's name by the last time she meets him. He states that there's only one circumstance he would tell someone that, but doesn't say then what it is. In this ep he implies that revealing one's name is what it takes for a Time Lord to marry someone.

I predict that on the plains of Trenzalor, where no question can be refused, River will ask the Doctor his name, for reals this time. How the hell that leads to the Silence (I hate people who call them "the Silents") falling is another question.

The Doctor will also die for real that day, or at least, regenerate... the fall of the Eleventh, and the rise of the Twelfth. And the end of season seven. (Matt Smith is only contracted to play the Doctor for three seasons. Two down, one to go...)
ODST276
Born on Board

I definitely didn't see the question "Doctor Who?" coming... even though I'm still strongly attached to the answer being 42.

One thing that made no sense to me was if the whole of reality was happening at once, as we saw, and the only was to fix it was that the Doctor must die, then why did everything fall back into place because the Justice Robot (shaped as the Doctor) died? Basically, the "fake" Doctor died and everything went normal again.

I have to somewhat agree with Pfhorrest, the episodes are all jumbled up in a huge twisted, impossible scenario and everyone has to die and come back to life again for the next episode. The first part of series six was brilliant! But the second part starting with Let's Kill Hitler to The Wedding of River Song was quite lame. I expected more.

I wish they would go back as they were doing with Series five, where you have all the episodes connected by one huge plot (the Cracks in Time and references to this silence that will fall) but the episodes in and of themselves were seperate and had simple but very good stories.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

[MLaugh] ...42

I'm not even going to pretend to fully understand Doctor Who...but I'll try to explain.

I don't think that the Doctor Had to die, he just had to be in the way of the (?)laser blast.
ODST276
Born on Board

listener wrote:I don't think that the Doctor Had to die, he just had to be in the way of the (?)laser blast.
I was thinking recently that maybe the Doctor's death at Lake Silencio was not a fixed point of time and space.
Maybe it was the Justice Robot's "death" that was a fixed point of time and space.
River Song and Amy's ragtag group of soldiers were trying to alter a fixed point of time and space. The fixed point of time and space (that they were trying to alter) would by the Justice Robot's "death" (which they presumed to be the Doctor's death.)
In this case, altering the fixed point of time and space (Justice Robot's "death") was disintegrating the Universe!

But then... how would the Doctor and River touching make time move forward? (Of course, presuming that my theory is correct.)
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

ODST276 wrote:I was thinking recently that maybe the Doctor's death at Lake Silencio was not a fixed point of time and space.
Maybe it was the Justice Robot's "death" that was a fixed point of time and space.
River Song and Amy's ragtag group of soldiers were trying to alter a fixed point of time and space. The fixed point of time and space (that they were trying to alter) would by the Justice Robot's "death" (which they presumed to be the Doctor's death.)
In this case, altering the fixed point of time and space (Justice Robot's "death") was disintegrating the Universe!

But then... how would the Doctor and River touching make time move forward? (Of course, presuming that my theory is correct.)
I think that was the uncontroversial point of the gimmick. That all that was fixed was what we saw back at the start of the season: what appears to be the Doctor goes out to Lake Silencio and gets shot by someone in an Astronaut suit, and who or whatever gets shot is burned in a funeral pyre etc etc. So long as those observables occur, the event has not been changed; we've just learned more about the event than we did the first time we saw it. I was honestly expecting the dead Doctor to be a Ganger from the moment those were introduced, especially since as I recall there is still a Ganger Doctor possibly (though not necessarily) in existence somewhere in the timey-wimey ball.

What strikes me as a bigger discrepancy is that in The Impossible Astronaut the Doctor who died was 200 years older than the Doctor in his present timestream. Which either means that the Doctor's "farewell tour" between the last three episodes lasted over 200 years of his subjective time (and that's a lot of untold adventures), or that the Doctor fake-died 200 of his subjective years earlier than he was supposed to have died. Or, I guess, rule #1* on the Doctor's claim of his age in The Impossible Astronaut.

None of that is to mention the nonsensical paradox involved in "creating" a fixed point in time as the Silence did (or tried to do and failed, mayhaps?). If it's fixed, it has always will have be that way (to use the hyperperfect transpresent tense-aspect). It can't ever have not will have been for you to make it always will have be as is implied in the concept of making it fixed; it must not will have been fixed at some time (not necessarily the past) in order for you to make it will have be fixed. (I'm beginning to suspect that someone in the Whoniverse want so get time itself so confused that it just gives up).

And the Doctor and River touching makes time move forward because timey-wimey-the-power-of-love-wibbley-wobbley. Would it really make any more sense if the Doctor's real death was what was fixed? River piloted some rigged up astronaut suit and the Doctor piloted some weird time-travelling-shape-shifting-robot-spaceship-with-tiny-people-in-it-thing and one of them made their suit shoot the other suit with a ranged energy weapon. Why should them touching have anything to do with it? What difference would it make if one of them hadn't been wearing said suit?

*(Rule #1: "the Doctor lies")
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Oct 14th '11, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

[MLaugh] Rule #1... The doctor lies.

Rule# 2....Double
tap!