Something I don't get about Marathon's first map

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Doctor Nuriel
Born on Board

I'm probably really late with this but I gotta ask.

Marathon starts off in an area quite similar to the temple in Pathways Into Darkness (dunno if it's the final PID level or something, never played PID but watched gameplay), you walk around these ancient halls a bit, open a door and you're suddenly on board the Marathon, despite the fact that the temple was located on Earth.

What exactly is the connection, the reason that you briefly walk through a PID area at the very start of Marathon?
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

This is because the people that converted Marathon to work with Aleph One decided that there should be a dedication to PiD.
There is a Plug-in on Simplici7y that stops this if you don't like this.

Or even better. Get the new version that came out.
???Durandal???
Cyborg

Its supposed to be a daydreaming experience that the marine has of his past incarnations as he is drifting towards the marathon.

He wakes up at the Docking bay, where the story starts.

Unfortunately, this is never stated, and thus a lot of confusion ensues for first time players, and annoyance for others.
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Did you just make that up?
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

If i remember right, you were dreaming, until durandel tells the computer to decompress the bay.

If you were dreaming, you'd be dead.
ODST276
Born on Board

If I remember correctly, the manual said that you were first dreaming about the launch of the MARATHON, but you snapped out of it when you heard Durandal's voice. After you became "debris" by the Pfhor, "you fall into your old habit, and begin to daydream about your childhood on Marsâ?¦You come out of your dream twenty two minutes later. Judging it safe, you thrust over to one of the empty MP docking bays. You pull out your pistol, and pound the switch to open the door."

The PiD opening was never in the original Marathon and nothing is mentioned about your "PiD dream" in the manual.

I don't think you ever had that dream in the original, and it was just a tribute to PiD in M1A1.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

See Asylum
Last edited by listener on Dec 9th '11, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

If we were to try to explain the PiD segment in M1A1, then it's definitely not a dream. It's more like deja vu. The only lines from the manual that could potentially be hinting at PiD are these ones:
Marathon manual wrote:QUOTE(Marathon manual)You pull out your pistol, and pound the switch to open the door. Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember...
In other words, something about what the protagonist is currently experiencing is reminding him of a past experience he can't quite recall -- which has nothing to do with dreaming. The author is simply using a dream as an analogy to describe the vague memory of some past experience.

The closest thing we have to dreaming is when the protagonist daydreams. And whenever that happens, it's always specifically spelled out for us what it is he's daydreaming about (i.e. the launch of the Marathon, or his life on Mars). So we know that the daydreams mentioned have nothing to do with PiD.

But really, no matter how you try to justify the PiD segment, it will never make sense. First of all, how do we know that what the protagonist is reminded of is from PiD? The answer is that we aren't meant to know. And even if it is PiD he's reminded of, how could he possibly be experiencing something so clearly when we know for a fact he's failing to recall it?...
Marathon manual wrote:QUOTE(Marathon manual)you can't exactly remember...
...these are things that make any argument in favor of the PiD sequence fall apart.
ODST276
Born on Board

Ares Ex Machina wrote:If we were to try to explain the PiD segment in M1A1, then it's definitely not a dream. It's more like deja vu. The only lines from the manual that could potentially be hinting at PiD are these ones:
In other words, something about what the protagonist is currently experiencing is reminding him of a past experience he can't quite recall -- which has nothing to do with dreaming. The author is simply using a dream as an analogy to describe the vague memory of some past experience.

The closest thing we have to dreaming is when the protagonist daydreams. And whenever that happens, it's always specifically spelled out for us what it is he's daydreaming about (i.e. the launch of the Marathon, or his life on Mars). So we know that the daydreams mentioned have nothing to do with PiD.

But really, no matter how you try to justify the PiD segment, it will never make sense. First of all, how do we know that what the protagonist is reminded of is from PiD? The answer is that we aren't meant to know. And even if it is PiD he's reminded of, how could he possibly be experiencing something so clearly when we know for a fact he's failing to recall it?...
...these are things that make any argument in favor of the PiD sequence fall apart.
I have no argument against "You", the protagonist, in Marathon and "You", the protagonist, in Pathways into Darkness are the same person. We all know that the events of Marathon and PiD are in the same universe.
???Durandal???
Cyborg

and of course, similarities such as this only re-affirm the connection.

http://marathon.bungie.org/story/_images/p...cinstrument.jpg
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

ODST276 wrote:I have no argument against "You", the protagonist, in Marathon and "You", the protagonist, in Pathways into Darkness are the same person. We all know that the events of Marathon and PiD are in the same universe.
To clarify, whenever I mentioned the PiD segment or sequence in my previous post, I was referring only to the segment/sequence seen at the beginning of M1A1 -- not PiD itself.
Enzan
Born on Board

ODST276 wrote:I have no argument against "You", the protagonist, in Marathon and "You", the protagonist, in Pathways into Darkness are the same person. We all know that the events of Marathon and PiD are in the same universe.
We all know that the events of Marathon and Myth are in the same universe. It's a safe bet that the security officer isn't Soulblighter.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Enzan wrote:We all know that the events of Marathon and Myth are in the same universe. It's a safe bet that the security officer isn't Soulblighter.
Yeah, everyone knows he's the head.