Recommended Editors

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
nonstab
Born on Board

I can't get Physics Editor One to start. I double click on the application, and nothin'. What am I missing?
http://electricsheep.org/ Wicked Custom Screen Saver. It actually evolves over time, thanks to some internet-y crap.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

So I'm trying to open weland and I' always getting this:
"Weland has stopped working
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

I downloaded the .NET and the GTK the readme said it needed. What else am I supposed to do? I'm using windows 7 but I also have access to ubuntu if that's necessary.
treellama
Vidmaster

This may be a stupid question, but did you actually install .NET and GTK#?

I just tried it with my Windows 7. I downloaded .NET Framework 4.0, and installed it. Then I installed GTK# 2.12.10.win32. Then I double clicked Weland, and it opened!
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hmm, I got that .Net 4.5 preview thing. I could try retrograding to 4.0 and see what happens.

edit: ok, i'm getting this error:

Code: Select all

Unable to load DLL 'libglade-2.0-0.dll': The specified procedure could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007F)
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Jan 25th '12, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
jessenator
Cyborg

effigy wrote:I've only heard of one other user (jessenator) using MarathUp to make maps other than the one that results from it's included tutorial.
If anyone cares, here's my 2.5¢:

MarathUp has many pros, and many, many cons. I think MoppyPuppy sums up the intense pro-side of using MarathUp, however. By the way, mentions of "polygons" are in the Marathon sense, and not the 3D-modeling-package sense, unless blatantly obvious.

Other pros:
â?¢ The added bonus is that you're actually working in three-dimensional space, and for someone, like me, coming from a traditional, maya type workflow, it's a semi-nice lateral jump. I've included links to some primitives I've made that give an idea of other forms to make. If desired, I can go through and highlight some trouble areas that I've run into as well.
â?¢ Spiral stairs, "multi-leveled" structures are easy to build and then connect.
â?¢ Adding onto an existing polygon, adding more space or structures within an existing space, becomes easier (no deletion and refilling- hell, there's no "filling" involved). Though it's still a double edged sword if you aren't careful (see con #3 & 5)
â?¢ Snapping-to and moving whole walls or selection of walls is doable.
â?¢ The plugin has built-in safeguards against illegal geometry (sloped) if you're tempted to try, but see con #2 for more.
â?¢ Most of your map problems will be caught by the script's parameters, but if you attempt to export, and there's no dialog box saying either your map has exported (with file path) or it's failed, then you have a problem not accounted for and you'll have to do some chopping.
â?¢ Guides (download the "Boundaries Template" for a maximum level size marker)

Cons:
â?¢ MarathUp does not do doors/platforms- practically, anyway. It's a real bitch to get a door to work, let alone a split door. And don't even get me started on texturing a split doorâ?¦
â?¢ MarathUp is currently rather buggy. For the most part, if there's something wrong with the map, it will tell you in a dialog box with the offending object or area (but only one per export attempt). Other times, nothing happens when you go to export the map and gives you no clue.
â?¢ It's quite easy to entirely f**k up your map beyond repair. I recently made a map of a hangar, with some recessed parts, storage containers, etc. and you have to deal with all of the edges that go between the verticies, and they get in the way, and you may end up deleting vital components. Eventually, if you keep making these kinds of inadvertent deletions, you'll end up in scenario two- it won't tell you how the map doesn't work anymore.
â?¢ If you're already accustomed to a 3D package's workflow, the natural "splitting" of polygons that you think you need to do becomes a counter-intuitive nightmare. There is a particular way you have to make splits, and it takes some thinking about.
â?¢ If you need to split a polygon (if you have too many verts for example) once you've extruded it to the height you want, you need to make sure you have corresponding split lines on both ceiling and floor- which can lead to more problems (see con #3)
â?¢ moving polygons is hampered by having to switch to the top orthographic (parallel projection) camera mode, and ensuring that you grab both ceiling and floor verts- as you're working in three-dimensional space. (see workflow)
â?¢ textures don't always snap properly, and the alignment tools from the script don't always display properly, and doors takes some trial-and-error finagling.
â?¢ It's easy to have textures that don't belong to a corresponding set get into the map somewhere (see suggested workflow).

Other things to consider:
â?¢ While you may want to go hog-wild with the complexity of your maps, bear in mind that the old limitations still exist: 8-vert rule, convex polys, etc. (see con #5)

For those who actually began making maps with Forge, and really got it, and know it better than their own genitals, then MarathUp won't be a practical workflow in and of itself or otherwise. You're better off sticking with Forge or Weland for the whole trek. If you want to try it out, or want to simplify the task of making complicated elevations and overlapping polygonsâ?¦

The workflow I suggest is this:

1) if you have ideas for complex, or intense, overlapping structures (hate doing stairs), want a three-dimensional overview of your structure as you build, start with MarathUp, but start small- Make things strategically, and test every new structure you intend to instance from before you go all out.

If you want some ideas, download some of the primitives I made from the link above.

Once you've made everything, DON'T edit anything else beyond face pushing/pulling/extruding/elevation changes within SketchUp. Leave that for Weland.

Also, don't even bother texturing them within SketchUp- just make sure your face normals are correct (the bluish faces should be facing) positive, the walls the player will see, and the white faces face all of the negative space). Don't even put in a player starting point- do that in Weland if it will let you.

2) Export the map and open it in Weland (as MarathUp gives you only .sceA files) to pave the whole bloody thing, and then do all the things that MarathUp sucks at isn't optimized or designed to do or do well: doors, platforms, liquids, moving verts, floor & ceiling texturing, poly parameters,

3) Use VisualMode.lua to get your walls and other texturing done.
Last edited by jessenator on Feb 28th '12, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
â?¢musicâ?¢sfxâ?¢texturesâ?¢bullsh*t
HogePiyo
Cyborg

$lave,

Please change a link of Physics Editor One to http://simplici7y.com/items/physics-editor-one-j .
The old link seems to refer fileball, and it downs.

nonstab wrote:I can't get Physics Editor One to start. I double click on the application, and nothin'. What am I missing?
http://simplici7y.com/items/physics-editor-one-j

Try to execute "PhysicsEditorOneJ.bat" in its folder.
( or use .sh file in Linux/ Mac OS X.)

When .jar files are not correlated with java, double-clicking .jar file will fail.
This tool needs Java 1.5 or later, of course.
$lave

HogePiyo wrote:$lave,

Please change a link of Physics Editor One to http://simplici7y.com/items/physics-editor-one-j .
The old link seems to refer fileball, and it downs.
Done! Thanks for letting me know.
Med
Spazeroid

Shouldn't mind a necro since it's a sticky.

Anyone else completely unable to download win32 Weland from Sourceforge? It keeps looping back to the files listing whenever it's supposed to give a file (at the end of the countdown or by clicking the direct link), and the SVN repo is apparently dead when a friend tried to compile it. There are no listed mirrors, and my google-fu wasn't strong enough to find another.

You'd think the site would display an error message on a file not found. First the entire Sourceforge site goes down, now this.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

People still use Sourceforge?
Med
Spazeroid

Where else is a proper up to date download of it, then? All other sites direct to the broken SF link, are broken themselves, or are old versions from questionable sites.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Yeah, I was making a point more than anything. If you see a project on Sourceforge, assume it is abandoned.
Med
Spazeroid

So you're saying it is abandoned? Nothing to do, then. Thanks for the quick response.
treellama
Vidmaster

Weland isn't under active development any more, but it's not abandoned. Looks like it's time to abandon SourceForge though.

While I get that sorted, you can download Weland from http://treellama.org/weland
Med
Spazeroid

Great to hear, thank you!
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

How do you edit Marathon 1 shapes files? It has a different extension type.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

No modern tools can directly edit Marathon 1 shapes, as far as I know. If you manage to set up a classic Mac emulator, you should be able to run "Marathon Shapes Editor".

I wrote some Perl scripts to convert Marathon 1 shapes into ShapeFusion format. Unfortunately, these scripts don't come with a GUI or much documentation. Here is a converted copy of the stock Marathon 1 shapes file:
M1_Shapes.shpA.zip
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 497 times
You can use this to inspect the Marathon 1 shapes, but it may not work 100% correctly in Aleph One if you use it instead of Shapes.shps. Marathon 1 has some different behaviors, and Aleph One uses the file format to determine which behavior to use. There's no M2 -> M1 converter to turn edited shapes back into the M1 format.

The long-term plan is to have user-friendly converters, so you can turn M1 maps, shapes, physics, etc. into M2 format, use ShapeFusion to edit them, and then use those M2-format files in Aleph One. Aleph One, ShapeFusion, and Weland need updates to read/write additional flags for Marathon 1 behaviors, so these converted files will behave exactly the same even after editing. Once that's all done, you'll be able to mix M1 and M2-style files within a scenario, or use M1-style missions and physics in a new level.

All this will take a while, since I don't have much free time and there are other things on my to-do list, but that's the state of Marathon 1 editing/tweaking.