Marathon: Phoenix Specialer Edition

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/marathon-phoenix-2

The Special Edition for Marathon: Phoenix is now live and available for download!

Marathon: Phoenix is an action-oriented scenario with particular stylistic emphasis on strong level design and very fast-paced gameplay, with a good level of challenge on any difficulty level without resorting to cheap tricks. What was once originally an updated re-envisioning of The Gray Incident has become almost a brand new scenario with a new plot, new weapons, and all new levels. For those of you that prefer more relaxed games, this isn't the one for you. It features an entire arsenal of new weapons, 35 large levels, and a great soundtrack by CryoS and Kevin MacLeod.

1.3 incorporates stats uploading to lhowon.org, and also some bonus levels attached to the end of the scenario for a personal project that I'm discontinuing, as well as new music from that project.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jun 28th '15, 03:53, edited 2 times in total.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Sorry, this just doesn't seem special enough to me.
mchief111
Born on Board

Lol what's different about this special edition?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Diogenes wrote:Lol what's different about this special edition?
Digitally painted some rocks over a Defender in the part where he's hiding from some Pfhor.

Phoenix shoots first.

Edited in a scream when Ryder falls down the pit in the big battle in the second level.

Had an Uncle Tom Bob go "wesa free!" in the last level.

...or was that a serious question?
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 7th '12, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Heh, you re-added the flame to the title screen :)

You kinda had to, I just realized, seeing as I didn't remove it from the final screen.
Last edited by Drictelt on Feb 7th '12, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

There was a centering problem in the title screen that really, really bothered me. That's the main reason.

But I think the flames were just a little more interesting than the plain text.
???Durandal???
Cyborg

Is this really worth playing through the whole thing again?
Marathon D.R.E.A.M. copyright � 2008-2011- Is a future and ongoing SECRET project by Yours truly and Jjarandal productions � 2011- :
most patents pending and accepted. any and all material conceived by ME is property of me and gives no one a right to lay claim to my imagined stuff

***INCOMING MESSAGE***
Check out my blog, I've developed a little game pfhor you to play...

>> http://thedurpartment.blogspot.com/ <<

***END MESSAGE***
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Durandal347 wrote:Is this really worth playing through the whole thing again?
Pay attention, there seems to be A LOT of new stuff.

I've played all major scenarios more than once. Phoenix was great the first and only time I played (when it was originally released. I WILL eventually play the newest version available.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Durandal347 wrote:Is this really worth playing through the whole thing again?
There is a very considerable amount of new content. So, if you enjoyed it the first time, then yes.

If you hated it, I guess you'd still hate it now.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Digitally painted some rocks over a Defender in the part where he's hiding from some Pfhor.

Phoenix shoots first.

Edited in a scream when Ryder falls down the pit in the big battle in the second level.

Had an Uncle Tom Bob go "wesa free!" in the last level.
...or was that a serious question?
Fuck Goerge Lucas.

I'll play this sometime soon. Never finished the first, anyway. Is there much of a plot to this game or is it mainly GUNS GUNS GUNS SHOOT DIE GUNS SHOOT SHOOT GUNS. Either way, looks fun.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

There's a plot, yeah. It's not tremendously complex like that of Eternal, but there's an honest-to-goodness story to the game.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Is anyone having trouble with the Crossbow looking like the SMG when it's in your hand?

Edit: Specifically when it's firing, I suppose. Someone is getting this glitch and I don't know of the source.

Edit 2: Seems to be a conflict with some motion blur plugin? Disabling that fixed the issue. Motion blur is stupid.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 8th '12, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

I loved Phoenix when it was released summer '10, and I've been holding off playing through it again until this release. I even took the time to look over all the cool new menu screens before I started playing.

Pretty awesome work so far! [MUp]
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
ellio7t
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:Is anyone having trouble with the Crossbow looking like the SMG when it's in your hand?

Edit: Specifically when it's firing, I suppose. Someone is getting this glitch and I don't know of the source.

Edit 2: Seems to be a conflict with some motion blur plugin? Disabling that fixed the issue. Motion blur is stupid.
I had a weird problem with it popping up then automatically going to next weapon as if it were out of ammo. I'll see it it still is acting up later today.
words
Dracheseele
Born on Board

Such a mean secret on Nottingham Lance! Now I gotta replay the stage haha.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I'm working on a walkthrough/spoiler guide for Phoenix right now. Unlike the TGI guide, which was on a webpage and done in HTML, this one will be a pdf; I'm using InDesign for the layout.

Each level will have a two-page spread using basic Letter sheets. The guide can be therefore read either as a spread or as two individual pages for each level.

Here's an example -- I exported the walkthrough for A Space Marine is You into jpegs:
(note: each image is about 2 MB; final product will have a smaller file size)
Page 1: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1817/asmiy.jpg
Page 2: http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5167/asmiy2.jpg

Advice on the layout? By the way, I tried using a white background and it didn't look good -- mostly because of the greens of the automap image. Thus, I went for the black background instead. It just worked better with the images. But it's been a couple of years since I've done serious layout design so I'm a little rusty.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 10th '12, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Admittedly having a monitor at 1920x1080 creates an effect similar to smashing my face into those images, but otherwise I can't find any fault. The typesetting is easy on the eyes, the secrets are noticeable but not disrupting, I think the two column flow fits the purpose nicely and the various screenshots of the levels round it out. If I had to gripe about anything, it might be that having companion images for the secrets would be convenient, but that's a relatively large amount of work for what the text essentially already does. Looks good. I spoke too soon, I didn't make the connection between the labeling and the accompanying level map. I think the size distracted me, my apologies.
Last edited by L'howon on Feb 10th '12, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I thought about companion images but it would take too much space. Consider some of the longer levels that will have more text. I don't want to have too many pages for each level.

And yeah I set the DPI setting too high for the Jpegs, so they're enormous (I also have a 1920x1080 monitor). The PDF will be a normal size.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

In the first terminal of Running From Evil, there are two pictures missing. I really hate to point it out after such an epic update. :(
Attachments
Missing_Terminal_Pict_2.png
Missing_Terminal_Pict_2.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 13571 times
Missing_Terminal_Pict_1.png
Missing_Terminal_Pict_1.png (43.07 KiB) Viewed 13571 times
Last edited by President People on Feb 10th '12, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Damn! Thanks for the heads-up. I will fix it for a (surely inevitable) 1.2.1 release.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Since an update is inevitable, then, I'll post a reminder of those two misaligned textures on The Bistromath, by the first save area.
Attachments
Bistromath_Save_Area_Texture_2.png
Bistromath_Save_Area_Texture_2.png (413.66 KiB) Viewed 13572 times
Bistromath_Save_Area_Texture_1.png
Bistromath_Save_Area_Texture_1.png (450.13 KiB) Viewed 13572 times
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Hey look, the Phoenix Walkthrough is finished.

It's a 15mb PDF. Has a spread for all 35 levels.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:Hey look, the Phoenix Walkthrough is finished.

It's a 15mb PDF. Has a spread for all 35 levels.
Looks great, I already hate myself for looking at the last secret on Shades of Gray. :P I should've known to look everywhere, but the spot didn't even cross my mind. Though, I may have found it on my first run through in 1.0.

Oh well, no more cheating for me.
Dugit
Vidmaster

President People wrote:Since an update is inevitable
Then, there's something I'd like to point out. The cyborg here always manages to get stuck over here if I don't shoot at him before he gets there. Without fail. Once he's there, he can't get out. I believe the level is Dark Pfhorces, which, apart from this, is quickly becoming a favorite on TC. :)
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2012_02_07_at_17.04.52.png
Screen_Shot_2012_02_07_at_17.04.52.png (614.01 KiB) Viewed 13573 times
Last edited by Dugit on Feb 14th '12, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
mchief111
Born on Board

That awkward moment when you save while flying through the air, so going to your only save throws you into inescapable lava.