vertical-look physics model for visual mode

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Aug 1st '11, 13:27

so, I made a physics model a while back that lets you look almost straight up (89 degrees) to help with texturing difficult spots. it only works with the shader renderer obviously, and can't do anything about the "fov pie slice" problem, but it occurred to me that other people might find this useful so I'm posting it here. might be worth including this in the official visual mode zip or something.
Attachments
89d.phyA.zip
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by quartz on Aug 1st '11, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

Post Aug 2nd '11, 20:50

quartz wrote:so, I made a physics model a while back that lets you look almost straight up (89 degrees) to help with texturing difficult spots.

Pretty cool! I didn't know this could be done with a physics model. Does seem like it would be useful for texturing, but I'm more interested in trying it in a few net games, just for fun.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Aug 3rd '11, 11:00

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Pretty cool! I didn't know this could be done with a physics model.

go into the player physics and change the incorrectly-named "maximum elevation" field.

because of the way the software and gl classic renderers work, the further up you can look the more distorted the view gets, so traditionally anything past about 45 degrees was pointless. the shader rendered changed all that, but it's still not perfect because it doesn't take vertical rotation into account so you get the "fov pie slice" issue.

Ares Ex Machina wrote:but I'm more interested in trying it in a few net games, just for fun.

::shrug:: it's neither here nor there. marathon wasn't really meant for that, so some things work and some don't, you'll see what I mean if you use it.

quartz

Post Aug 4th '11, 02:34

quartz wrote:marathon wasn't really meant for that, so some things work and some don't, you'll see what I mean if you use it.

in particular, it totally changes the gameplay on maps like melatonin.

quartz

Post Aug 4th '11, 05:57

quartz wrote:::shrug:: it's neither here nor there. marathon wasn't really meant for that, so some things work and some don't, you'll see what I mean if you use it.

Yeah, I could pretty much predict what it was going to be like...that's why I said just for fun. And I was right! It was pretty fun. Obviously it won't be viable as an actual type of gameplay until we get the whole pie with 3D character models (or sprites with extra angles). But it's still fun nonetheless.

quartz wrote:in particular, it totally changes the gameplay on maps like melatonin.

That's a good one too. I prefer Official Tallmap. True dat, Double True!
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Aug 4th '11, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Return to Mapping