What's the appeal in playing online?

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Aug 13th '11, 17:21

I've been wondering about this, especially with regards to Marathon. Online games and multiplayer in general seem to be pretty popular, but I've never gotten the appeal. The players, the excessive modding, the ridiculous advantage of certain weapons otherwise limited in their use when in singleplayer, the short length...It just seems sort of pointless. I guess I've always been more attracted to the idea of going solo as a player on a long journey, pitted against oblivion. Singleplayer just has a much better flow, and there's a much greater variety of different challenges and environments, rather than just an endless set of short, silly matches that don't do anything. Multiplayer just doesn't seem so fun, whether you're winning or losing.

Can anyone explain to me the appeal in playing online?

Da Pissa

Post Aug 13th '11, 18:20

Da Pissa wrote:I've been wondering about this, especially with regards to Marathon. Online games and multiplayer in general seem to be pretty popular, but I've never gotten the appeal. The players, the excessive modding, the ridiculous advantage of certain weapons otherwise limited in their use when in singleplayer, the short length...It just seems sort of pointless. I guess I've always been more attracted to the idea of going solo as a player on a long journey, pitted against oblivion. Singleplayer just has a much better flow, and there's a much greater variety of different challenges and environments, rather than just an endless set of short, silly matches that don't do anything. Multiplayer just doesn't seem so fun, whether you're winning or losing.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

When you die, all of your experiences die with you. If you have not shared those experiences with others, then what was the point? You have gained nothing, accomplished nothing, but wasted a few more irreplaceable moments in your life. As you grow older, and your memory begins to fade, you will begin to ask yourself why you spent so much on a long journey, pitted against oblivion, that no one will ever know about. On their death beds, no one ever wishes they spent more time playing single player Marathon.
Image Image

interion

Post Aug 13th '11, 18:26

Da Pissa wrote:I've been wondering about this, especially with regards to Marathon. Online games and multiplayer in general seem to be pretty popular, but I've never gotten the appeal. The players, the excessive modding, the ridiculous advantage of certain weapons otherwise limited in their use when in singleplayer, the short length...It just seems sort of pointless. I guess I've always been more attracted to the idea of going solo as a player on a long journey, pitted against oblivion. Singleplayer just has a much better flow, and there's a much greater variety of different challenges and environments, rather than just an endless set of short, silly matches that don't do anything. Multiplayer just doesn't seem so fun, whether you're winning or losing.

Singleplayer is a limited experience. The gaming experience is more or less fixed and constant (varying only when difficulty level is changed), allowing a limited amount of entertainment.

Multiplayer is different. Each experience is different from the last, regardless of victory or defeat. Try it a little more often, and you'll probably find yourself hooked after a big eight-player battle on Dance of Pales or Infinite Rhapsody. Trust me. :)
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Aug 13th '11, 19:16

Tim wrote:If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

When you die, all of your experiences die with you. If you have not shared those experiences with others, then what was the point? You have gained nothing, accomplished nothing, but wasted a few more irreplaceable moments in your life. As you grow older, and your memory begins to fade, you will begin to ask yourself why you spent so much on a long journey, pitted against oblivion, that no one will ever know about. On their death beds, no one ever wishes they spent more time playing single player Marathon.

[MLaugh] Hilarious! I enjoyed reading that.

Da Pissa

Post Aug 13th '11, 19:16

[attachment=5096:contramundum.png]
Attachments
contramundum.png
contramundum.png (17.98 KiB) Viewed 143 times
patrick
末法

Post Aug 13th '11, 19:33

I believe multiplayer is more challenging than single player. It is player vs. player (except for game types like Survival), and you cannot always predict what your opponent will do. I usually always have laughable and enjoyable experiences when playing multiplayer, too. If you get tired of EMFH, there are other game types to keep the experience fresh. A huge reason that I like to play online is socializing with the other players in the community. This is not like Counter-Strike or Battlefield where you constantly see new and unfamiliar players. I see familiar names every time I join the metaserver, and they are friendly and awesome. I love Marathon, I enjoy the multiplayer, and don't consider it a waste of time because of the great experiences. Also, if you think the games are too short, you could see if anyone would like to play a ten minute match. Co-op with some other players is also fun.

I usually play the single player part of any game only once, and consider it a waste of time if I was to play a single player game more than once. Some reasons I might play a single player game over would include wanting to win the game on the hardest difficulty setting after playing it on a lower setting, and to find stuff I've missed, such as secrets.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Aug 13th '11, 19:51

Obvious troll is obvious. Come on guys, you're smarter than this!

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 13th '11, 19:52

Plus, you can't piss everyone off playing just single player.
The perfect amount of douche.

lochnits.com ||| The Pfhorums Game ||| Lochball (Fileball Archive)

Wrkncacnter

Post Aug 13th '11, 20:01

Treellama wrote:Obvious troll is obvious. Come on guys, you're smarter than this!

I think they're trolling back. That's what makes it so great. [MGrin]

Da Pissa

Post Aug 13th '11, 20:09

[attachment=5104:anamnesis.png]
Attachments
anamnesis.png
anamnesis.png (31.81 KiB) Viewed 144 times
patrick
末法

Post Aug 13th '11, 20:22

Treellama wrote:Obvious troll is obvious. Come on guys, you're smarter than this!

I have a disorder. :)
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Return to Chat