Greetings

Introduce yourself here!

Post Oct 10th '11, 19:17

Greetings from a newcomer here. After some time of randomly reading what was new with the Marathon world I decided to join in. After years of being without an Apple computer I recently acquired an oldie capable of only running classic mode. I've got some useful experience in the past of getting Basilisk to run as well.

I have good memories of playing network games with my buddies. Some of us went further into obsession and began creating maps. Mia and Pfhorte got me started while Obed and Forge took me further. I spent one summer in particular fascinated with editing physics models to understand how things come together. I played with Marathon Shape Installer and Pfhred in addition to lots of ResEdit. I've dealt with the ups and downs of Anvil and more recently looked into Shape Fusion.

It was Siege of Nor'Korh that prompted my desire to learn the tools. At one time I even had a printed copy of the Pfhorte 2 instruction manual. I am not an expert in any one particular field and I hope to keep learning them all. I am currently in the mid design / early development stage of my own creation. It will be a small total conversion scenario with fresh gameplay not limited to single player. I am a humble person and realistically can not promise its completion. Should the lame happen I will at be sure to share it at the Orphanage.

Lastly, when the time comes I would like to share early work in progess in hopes to get constructive feedback. What is a good temporary file host I can upload the early project to? I'd rather not upload incomplete work to Simplici7y unless that is how things get down these days.

Umbra

Post Oct 12th '11, 00:32

Welcome, Umbra!

Umbra wrote:Lastly, when the time comes I would like to share early work in progess in hopes to get constructive feedback. What is a good temporary file host I can upload the early project to? I'd rather not upload incomplete work to Simplici7y unless that is how things get down these days.

I'd recommend using a site like mediafire for an entire project, but you can upload smaller files (individual maps etc.) to the pfhorums directly as long as they're zipped. I don't think there's really a standard for what is/is not uploaded to Simplici7y, I know Dugit has been using it to upload his updates to Aeon, so it's up to you.

$lave

Post Oct 12th '11, 01:09

$lave wrote:mediafire

Gross.

Get Dropbox, put things in your public folder there.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Oct 12th '11, 03:17

I just signed up for the free Dropbox account. Wow! 2gb storage will sure come in handy. I'll grab a Flickr account, too, so that I can share preliminary screen captures. By the way, does anyone know of an image editor / paint program for OS 7.5 that I can download legitimately to help stream line my work? Speaking as a true Windows user I must say Apple's PICT format is a real p-i-t-a.

Umbra

Post Oct 12th '11, 03:47

You could try GraphicConverter. It is't a paint program, but it should help you in file format conversions to more Cross-Compatible formats.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/207/downl...d-versions.html
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Oct 12th '11, 04:04

I use GIMP and I believe it is a good image editor. I have a Flickr account and love it, but like $lave said, you can start a topic about your scenario here and upload stuff here so it's all in one place. Pictures (unzipped) can be uploaded here, too. Welcome to The Pfhorums!
Last edited by brilliant on Oct 12th '11, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Oct 12th '11, 12:59

Working in 7.5 is a real pain. You can use modern tools for just about everything except some sound and physics editing. For instance, Atque mostly eliminates the need to handle PICTs.
Last edited by treellama on Oct 12th '11, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Post Oct 12th '11, 19:02

Am I correct in thinking Atque is for creating glow masks? I already plan to use MML heavily to load external PNG for the majority of my graphic modifications. I like that MML can even be told to distinguish between the possible color tables. It looks like the Image file only works in PICT images and that worries me. As polish down the road I'd like to change the menu screen and chapter screens. Is there a way to use MML or even LUA to replace those?

Umbra

Post Oct 12th '11, 20:00

I was confusing Atque for Aorta. Atque wasn't on my radar and now that I'm aware of it I will sure make good use of it. How does one edit the CLUT files? I only have GIMP for my pc.

Umbra

Post Oct 12th '11, 20:25

Umbra wrote:Am I correct in thinking Atque is for creating glow masks?

Nope. Atque splits and merges Images and Map files. You can use it to edit menu and chapter screens, without messing with PICTs and ResEdit. It uses BMP/JPEG for split/merge instead.
Last edited by treellama on Oct 12th '11, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to Welcome