AlephOne v1.0 for Excalibur

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

Post Dec 17th '11, 00:36

Lua scripts are used in Excalibur is outdated, does not work well with the latest AlephOne.
I'm disappointed but I wanted to play the new rendering engine in Excalibur.

The story to work with the latest engine is not?

logue

Post Dec 17th '11, 01:09

EMR uses its own version of Aleph One http://sourceforge.net/projects/emr3. I'm not sure if any of the developers of that version read this forum, but you'd have to ask them why their engine is so out of date. Looks like it was last updated in 2007.
The perfect amount of douche.

lochnits.com ||| The Pfhorums Game ||| Lochball (Fileball Archive)

Wrkncacnter

Post Dec 17th '11, 02:38

EMR should work with 0.23.3, but will not work with 1.0+ until EMR is updated.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 21st '11, 14:28

and developers are aware of this?

I can try to rewrite the scripts under 1.0 (the result does not guarantee this), but I need some help (the mechanism of the mnemonics in the old and new versions, "which returns a function")
And, of course, testing.

do not scold me for bad english - I am a patriot.
greendog

Post Dec 30th '11, 04:43

By the way, and why the old scripts do not work. compatibility mode of the code is not removed.
greendog

Post Dec 30th '11, 08:54

can not parse that, try again

screamingfool

Post Dec 30th '11, 12:41

Green Dog wrote:By the way, and why the old scripts do not work. compatibility mode of the code is not removed.

EMR calls many functions outside of any trigger, so they run when the script is loaded. In the new Aleph One, Lua scripts are loaded very early so they can control initial monster and item placement. Unfortunately, many things in the level are not initialized yet, so the scripts fail.

Moving the EMR script setup code into init() should fix things for now. The init() trigger is called after the world is set up correctly.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 31st '11, 18:07

Treellama wrote:EMR calls many functions outside of any trigger, so they run when the script is loaded. In the new Aleph One, Lua scripts are loaded very early so they can control initial monster and item placement. Unfortunately, many things in the level are not initialized yet, so the scripts fail.

Moving the EMR script setup code into init() should fix things for now. The init() trigger is called after the world is set up correctly.
Thanks.

see what can be done in this direction.
cut out pieces of code compatibility mode (I want to completely rewrite the code for the new API. who knows what compatibility mode will last), have learned many interesting things about triggers.

bug report (sourcefoge required login):
Lua/lua_players.cpp:2663 duratiohn -> duration

happy new year, Marathoners.
greendog

Post Dec 31st '11, 18:27

EMR's README does not permit modification and redistribution. Any improvements you make, you'll have to keep to yourself. Not worth the effort, in my opinion, but maybe you really love EMR!

You can get the Lua documentation from the version of Aleph One released with EMR here: http://marathon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc...l?revision=2920

Thanks for the bug report! I have committed a fix, it will be in the next release.
Last edited by treellama on Dec 31st '11, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 2nd '12, 17:56

Thanks for Lua docs.

I can not change, but not maintainers of the project (besides, I'm doing it more for myself. did not have time to go the whole game).

it's not a bug, but a misprint.

Apropos, good place to add documentation for the functions that are not included in the table (kill_script(), hide/show_interfaise, enable/disable_player and player_control) and 3 the implicit constant (*_PER_MAP)
greendog

Post Jan 14th '12, 14:00

current progress:

2 first level + all jurasic

solved the problem with rights
In AlephOne-1.0 EMR has ceased to operate normally due to changes in order to download and run Lua scripts. I decided to adapt the script and rewrite them to the new Lua API, but the question arose with the rights to change files.
So I would like to learn first hand how MMMG relate to my work.

Are you offering to rewrite all of our Lua scripts? If so, that would be great, and I can try to re-package EMR with the new scripts. I would imagine this would be a lot of work, so maybe I misunderstand what you're saying. :)

Today I will make a test map. If someone wants to join, in privat.

little question:
Code: Select all
<level index=index>
<lua resource = resource_one />
<lua resource = resource_two />
<lua resource = resource_three />
</level>

the order in which lua resources are loaded into the buffer.

PS: to Treellama You asked me why I do it. I've seen projects die because no one wanted to raise the flag, and I'm tired of looking at it.
greendog

Post Jan 14th '12, 14:30

Green Dog wrote:little question:
Code: Select all
<level index=index>
<lua resource = resource_one />
<lua resource = resource_two />
<lua resource = resource_three />
</level>

the order in which lua resources are loaded into the buffer.

MML level scripts are executed in the order they are specified in the file: http://marathon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc...ml#levelscripts

If you use Atque to merge the Lua instead of using a level script, which is now the recommended way, they are loaded in alphabetical order:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/igni...le=Atque_Manual

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 4th '12, 13:34

current progress:

all single. now testing
greendog

Post Feb 6th '13, 07:00

patches send to MMG. (last year)

test map http://depositfiles.com/files/336in4ngo
greendog

Post Feb 12th '13, 23:16

I'm having an issue with Excalibur. I'm running 10.7 and the game just freezes when I try to open it. I don't get any menu screens or anything. If someone could help me out with this, it would be much appreciated.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Post Mar 8th '13, 00:39

As Treellama has pointed out, you can use Aleph One 0.23 for Excalibur. One place you can download it is here, and then just place the Aleph One executable in your EMR folder. It seems to work fine with me.

While it's not Aleph One 1.0.2, it certainly is better than the EMR executable (includes more screen resolutions, has more OpenGL features, has more keyboard mapping options, etc.)

fiddler_on_a_roof

Post Apr 8th '13, 17:34

I'm going to try and get A1 v.23 incorporated into the EMR download page.

Green dog, if you have all the scripting done to support v1.0 of AlephOne, let's get together. I might have some time to get that going in the near future.

Thanks.

donmerlin

Post Jul 9th '13, 12:36

donmerlin wrote:Green dog, if you have all the scripting done to support v1.0 of AlephOne, let's get together. I might have some time to get that going in the near future.

Thanks.

All sent out script were tested in latest (at this time) Alephone-1.0. if necessary I may resend new scripts and diff files (file to file, no meta).
greendog

Return to Marathon Discussion