OpenGL Classic still doesn't work with aging OpenGL hardware

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.

Post Feb 13th '12, 23:33

Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted (as Jazzmaster94), and I'm still having problems with OpenGL Classic mode. I have determined that it is not compilation issues (I have used the recommended packages for Ubuntu/Debian systems), and I guess somewhere along the line OpenGL Classic moved from OpenGL 2.0 or less to something exceeding the capabilities of older hardware such as my ATI Radeon X1350 Pro (an OEM variation on the X1300 series, c.2007). I'm not trying to run Aleph One on my toaster here, but I'm not using high end hardware either (though I am using what was at the time a decent OEM card); what I'm getting at is, while I know my system is aging, it shouldn't continue to have issues. Attached is a windowed mode (800x480) example of what is going on. Basically, whenever I start a game under OpenGL Classic I am seeing a rainbow-gradient over all textures (models and the HUD are unaffected). It makes navigation difficult, as it is impossible to identify subtle differences in textures between areas, and it affects field of view. I like the work done to the M2 models from what little I have seen (literally the first 2 seconds of the game). Software mode is unaffected aside from the new Health and Air gauges not functioning (both bars are metalic, no red or blue), and of course doesn't have the new textures and models. Hopefully I am wrong about OpenGL Classic no longer supporting my system and that it is some sort of user error. The specs of my system is as follows:

Dell Dimension E521

Motherboard: Unknown Dell Model, most likely produced by Foxconn
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ 2.2Ghz
Hard Drive: 250GB 7200RPM
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1350 Pro (Dell OEM Variant of the X1300 series)
OS: Crunchbang Linux 10 Statler (updated to latest packages) 32 bit (due to my low RAM)

The last time Aleph One OpenGL worked on my system was with version 0.26 I believe, since then OpenGL has not worked and software mode has actually dropped my frame-rates at 1600x900 resolution.
Attachments
OpenGL_still_doesnt_work.png
OpenGL_still_doesnt_work.png (385.84 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Greetings. You're asking yourself: Is this a trap or just
a dead end?

You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim
higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is
my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a
shotgun, and you ain't got one.)-Durandal 1707

Jazzmaster94

Post Feb 14th '12, 00:16

Are you using the ATI binary drivers? If not, try those.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 14th '12, 01:36

Treellama wrote:Are you using the ATI binary drivers? If not, try those.

Unfortunately not, the binary drivers are no longer available for my model. Linux support for the X series of Radeons was dropped back in 2009, and the highest supported Xorg server was 7.4 (current for Debian OSes is 7.6bpo). So as it stands I have the open source "radeon" Xorg driver and the mesa OpenGL software. I have no issue playing games like Minecraft using the advanced OpenGL settings (which isn't THAT taxing, but considering that I have the normal view range on and still get 25-30 FPS isn't bad), nor do I have issues playing back 720p videos. Which, now that I write that, makes me wonder why I have no issues with Minecraft's implementation of OpenGL, but I do have issues with AlephOne's implementation. Not blaming you guys or anything, for all we know it could be something with how SDL handles OpenGL. But, I'll poke around, see if people have had issues like this with other SDL games and see what they did to correct it.

Edit: My graphics card may be geriatric, but it is no slouch. glxgears runs at 56FPS and resizing is smooth (albeit the window flickers a bit when doing so). Information from glxinfo shows that my card is set to OpenGL 2.1 Mesa, with Gallium 0.4 as its 3D renderer, and OpenGL Shader version 1.20. Again, old, but not as bad as, say an Intel GMA of the time (or even the GMAs used for the later Atom/Core2 lines of processors). My system should, theoretically, run OpenGL in either the shader or classic mode.
Last edited by Jazzmaster94 on Feb 14th '12, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
a dead end?

Jazzmaster94

Post Feb 14th '12, 01:45

Nothing to do with SDL or Aleph One. What you're seeing is absolutely a driver issue. You can try figuring out what is aggravating it; it looks like some error with texture filtering, so try turning that off first (in advanced settings, distant textures, change it to linear from trilinear).

Once you narrow it down, maybe you can report a Mesa bug.

If you can't figure it out, you might try the llvmpipe renderer instead of Mesa DRI--I was able to get a reasonable framerate on an old Celeron, but it isn't as old as your X2.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 14th '12, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 14th '12, 02:05

Treellama wrote:Nothing to do with SDL or Aleph One. What you're seeing is absolutely a driver issue. You can try figuring out what is aggravating it; it looks like some error with texture filtering, so try turning that off first (in advanced settings, distant textures, change it to linear from trilinear).

Once you narrow it down, maybe you can report a Mesa bug.

If you can't figure it out, you might try the llvmpipe renderer instead of Mesa DRI--I was able to get a reasonable framerate on an old Celeron, but it isn't as old as your X2.

Flipped through all options, tried it with near linear, near with no filtering, far linear, bilinear, trilinear, and non-linear; as well as all combinations of those settings. Moreover, I also tried the GeForce 4-9 fix (just to see what it did), no change. So it does seem that when some of the files on my system are no longer vital (I have an XP VM that I would like to back up before I start messing with anything) I will attempt to switch to llvmpipe to see if that fixes it. I'll post an update whenever that happens. I may also try to find an official Mesa forum and see what they think may be the specific cause of this Mesa issue. As always, thanks Treellama I look forward to playing with the new upgrades and all their glory once I get this figured out! [MUp]

Also, you'd be surprised how well my X2 handles heavy loads for such an old CPU!
a dead end?

Jazzmaster94

Post Feb 14th '12, 02:07

NalydRelwof wrote:Edit: My graphics card may be geriatric, but it is no slouch. glxgears runs at 56FPS

First of all, glxgears is not a benchmark tool. Second of all, I can't resist:
Code: Select all
ghs@azurewrath ~ $ glxgears
85250 frames in 5.0 seconds = 17049.844 FPS

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 14th '12, 02:11

Treellama wrote:First of all, glxgears is not a benchmark tool. Second of all, I can't resist:
ghs@azurewrath ~ $ glxgears
85250 frames in 5.0 seconds = 17049.844 FPS

Well, you know, just needed to prove that my system could actually RUN it without issues (i.e. excessive flicker, low FPS, etc.). That's usually a question that gets asked with these sort of things. As for actually doing benchmarks, chances are my system would crash in the middle of running any benchmark. My processor and graphics card are still usable, but they're not going to set the world ablaze any time soon with the benchmark numbers (maybe just my desk) [MLaugh] .
Last edited by Jazzmaster94 on Feb 14th '12, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
a dead end?

Jazzmaster94

Post Feb 14th '12, 02:23

Can you try other 3D engines to see if they work? Nexuiz-SDL for instance...

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 14th '12, 02:26

Treellama wrote:Can you try other 3D engines to see if they work? Nexuiz-SDL for instance...

Downloading Nexuiz as I type this (no mention of an SDL package, I'm merely downloading the client). It should work, seeing as though I was using it under Ubuntu before switching to Crunchbang.

Edit: may take a while, the Debian-games repo is slower than most glaciers. Will definitely have an answer by tomorrow, seeing as though I need to be packing it in for the night. I'll launch Nexuiz, play a few matches, and let you know if I have anything more than a few low frame-rates. Although, I highly doubt that much will go wrong.
Last edited by Jazzmaster94 on Feb 14th '12, 02:39, edited 1 time in total.
a dead end?

Jazzmaster94

Post Feb 14th '12, 02:41

Make sure you run the SDL version.

Also, in Aleph One, can you go pick up an infravision, and post what that looks like?
Last edited by treellama on Feb 14th '12, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 14th '12, 03:36

Treellama wrote:Make sure you run the SDL version.

Also, in Aleph One, can you go pick up an infravision, and post what that looks like?

Not sure where I'd find one quickly. I know the 5th or 6th level of Infinity has some power-ups, but I've honestly never found an infravision.
a dead end?

Jazzmaster94

Post Feb 14th '12, 03:51

Check the "Use Solo Lua" checkbox, then type this into the Lua console:

Players[0].infravision_duration = 900

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 14th '12, 04:01

Treellama wrote:Check the "Use Solo Lua" checkbox, then type this into the Lua console:

Players[0].infravision_duration = 900

I'll let you know of the results tomorrow, I honestly should not have stayed up this long. Played several matches of Nexuiz, pushed my graphics as far as I could before getting unplayable framerate drops. Graphics are set to good textures and good models, and I have bloom enabled with little impact on performance. I did check the terminal debug output, yes there is SDL as part of the Debian Nexuiz package, and there were no graphical bugs.
a dead end?

Jazzmaster94

Post Apr 1st '12, 05:58

I had texture problems in windows xp with an ATI Radeon X300 and I can honestly say it was the drivers.

FlashMan1294
Nopelaw Jones

Post Apr 1st '12, 22:16

FlashMan1294 wrote:I had texture problems in windows xp with an ATI Radeon X300 and I can honestly say it was the drivers.

I have a texture problem, but only with the sky, and it is fixed by turning down the replacement textures for sky to normal.

But the new ones are better. [MFrown]
Escape From Marathon Roleplayer. *Scott-Karen-Loner*
[color=#ffffff]I wanted to live-Scott
[/color]
Scanning...just dust and echoes. We're all that's left. We did what we had to do! For Earth. An entire Covenant armada obliterated and the Flood! We had no choice. Halo-it's finished.
No. I think we're just getting started.
listener

Return to Aleph One Discussion