3D Items Plugin for Infinity

Discuss and unveil current Marathon projects.

Post Feb 19th '12, 20:32

I've been working on this 3D items plugin for Infinity over the past few days as a little side project and I'm making good progress so I thought I'd let you guys know what's going on.

I've used the 3D models from the discontinued Half-Life Rampancy Mod as a basis for this plugin - however because some of the included models were highly incomplete I had to improvise a bit.

Below are some screenshots for you to check out - the health powerups, the SPNKR and the alien weapon are still missing but I'm hoping to finish them off soon and crank out a release within the next 2 days if all goes well.

enjoy!

[attachment=5472:assaultrifle.jpg]
[attachment=5473:flamethrower.jpg]
[attachment=5474:fusiongun.jpg]
[attachment=5475:kkv.jpg]
[attachment=5476:magnum.jpg]
[attachment=5477:shotgun.jpg]
Attachments
shotgun.jpg
shotgun.jpg (385.34 KiB) Viewed 612 times
magnum.jpg
magnum.jpg (373.97 KiB) Viewed 621 times
kkv.jpg
kkv.jpg (384.33 KiB) Viewed 613 times
fusiongun.jpg
fusiongun.jpg (338.37 KiB) Viewed 612 times
flamethrower.jpg
flamethrower.jpg (429.21 KiB) Viewed 611 times
assaultrifle.jpg
assaultrifle.jpg (421.15 KiB) Viewed 616 times

thedoctor45

Post Feb 19th '12, 21:05

Wow, they did a pretty decent job on those models. Only comment to add is that the ammo boxes having their lids perfectly vertical seems a little... silly? It's just sort of jarring, I can't help but look at it and go 'I don't know of a single box that consistently has upright flaps'. Seems to me like they should be partially open, or have the flap all the way back, touching the ground.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Feb 19th '12, 21:07

Imo, they should be closed, like the low res items are.

Other than that, I must say it looks good, and I look forward to the finished product.
Last edited by goran on Feb 19th '12, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Feb 19th '12, 21:46

well i guess setting the lids to an angle of 45 degrees would be an acceptable solution for everybody? [MWuh]

thedoctor45

Post Feb 19th '12, 23:08

Why would they be open at all?
The perfect amount of douche.

lochnits.com ||| The Pfhorums Game ||| Lochball (Fileball Archive)

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 20th '12, 00:48

you should ask the guy who created them. It doesn't disturb me though - I always thought the simple box-shaped items looked a bit too generic :P
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 20th '12, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 20th '12, 08:01

I found this picture in an old thread.

http://pfhorums.com/index.php?showtopic=3206&st=0

Those 3D marines look pretty good if you ask me (even with their heads off). If you have them, or know how to get hold of them, it would be good to have them uploaded to simplicity as a resource. Someone well versed in 3D could add the 3d items to the 3d marine and make high res bitmaps out of it.
Attachments
carnagefortherestofusuy8.jpg
carnagefortherestofusuy8.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 605 times
Last edited by goran on Feb 20th '12, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Feb 20th '12, 08:47

These are looking very good! I have some suggestions if you're interested in making the colors on those models look a bit more like the original game. From left to right/top to bottom, I've posted:
  • A cropped screenshot of the current model.
  • The original sprite.
  • An edited screenshot showing the changes I recommend.
Flamethrower: The black should have darker mid-tones and shadows. The bottom handle should be brown instead of orange. And those light gray parts should be white.
[attachment=5481:flamethr..._01_copy.jpg] [attachment=5482:flamethr...nal_copy.jpg] [attachment=5483:flamethr..._02_copy.jpg]

Magnum: The grip should be brown, not red. The barrel of the scope shouldn't be so blue, and the scope glass should be darker (for the glass, I recommend using the weapons-in-hand frames as reference. The reloading frames show some good angles). The gun itself could have just a touch more purple in it if you want to be extra faithful.
[attachment=5484:magnum_01_copy.jpg] [attachment=5485:magnum__...nal_copy.jpg] [attachment=5486:magnum_02_copy.jpg]

Assault Rifle: The brown should be darker, and the mid-tones and shadows of the gray covering on top should also be darker.
[attachment=5478:ar_01_copy.jpg] [attachment=5479:ar___original_copy.jpg] [attachment=5480:ar_02_copy.jpg]

Sub Machine Gun: The middle section should have more blue in it. The handle should be much darker, and the mid-tones of the barrel could also be just a little darker. The color of the rear sight should also match the rest of the middle section, rather than being black (I did a somewhat sloppy job at matching the color, but you get the idea).
[attachment=5490:smg_01_copy.jpg] [attachment=5491:smg___or...nal_copy.jpg] [attachment=5492:smg_02_copy.jpg]

Shotgun: Just a little more purple in the metal, with slightly lighter highlights. You might also want to make the brown just a hair darker.
[attachment=5495:shotgun_01_copy.jpg] [attachment=5496:shotgun_...nal_copy.jpg] [attachment=5497:shotgun_02_copy.jpg]

I also have suggestions for the colors of some of the ammunition types if you're interested. As for the lids, I vote closed! [MSmile]
Attachments
shotgun_02_copy.jpg
shotgun_02_copy.jpg (144.74 KiB) Viewed 605 times
shotgun___original_copy.jpg
shotgun___original_copy.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 605 times
shotgun_01_copy.jpg
shotgun_01_copy.jpg (140.55 KiB) Viewed 605 times
smg_02_copy.jpg
smg_02_copy.jpg (165.62 KiB) Viewed 605 times
smg___original_copy.jpg
smg___original_copy.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 605 times
smg_01_copy.jpg
smg_01_copy.jpg (161.29 KiB) Viewed 605 times
magnum_02_copy.jpg
magnum_02_copy.jpg (88.64 KiB) Viewed 605 times
magnum___original_copy.jpg
magnum___original_copy.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 605 times
magnum_01_copy.jpg
magnum_01_copy.jpg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 605 times
flamethrower_02_copy.jpg
flamethrower_02_copy.jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 605 times
flamethrower___original_copy.jpg
flamethrower___original_copy.jpg (26.91 KiB) Viewed 605 times
flamethrower_01_copy.jpg
flamethrower_01_copy.jpg (141.81 KiB) Viewed 605 times
ar_02_copy.jpg
ar_02_copy.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 605 times
ar___original_copy.jpg
ar___original_copy.jpg (24.2 KiB) Viewed 605 times
ar_01_copy.jpg
ar_01_copy.jpg (95.28 KiB) Viewed 605 times
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Feb 20th '12, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Feb 20th '12, 10:44

That's some good suggestions right there Ares Ex Machina - I'll see if I can impelement them accordingly.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 21st '12, 09:27

Small update - Alien weapon and shield powerups are complete - the SPNKR is about to be done as well - I had to import the last 2 models from the Marathon:Max mod because the Rampancy equivalents were either nonexistent or too incomplete to be useful.

I also had to re-texture parts of the items because the UV mapping that was previously applied caused some serious issues in AlephOne - for whatever resason...

once all models are complete and integrated I´ll take another look at the textures - you can expect a release tomorrow.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 21st '12, 20:00

Are these models available somewhere? Maybe (with the permission of the authors) the raw models themselves should be uploaded to Simplicity or the Orphanage for the sake of future generations. I can see this being used in many ways.

JohannesG

Post Feb 21st '12, 21:38

Jóhannes G. wrote:Are these models available somewhere? Maybe (with the permission of the authors) the raw models themselves should be uploaded to Simplicity or the Orphanage for the sake of future generations. I can see this being used in many ways.

The future generations of Johannes I assume =)

goran

Post Feb 21st '12, 22:29

Jóhannes G. wrote:Are these models available somewhere? Maybe (with the permission of the authors) the raw models themselves should be uploaded to Simplicity or the Orphanage for the sake of future generations. I can see this being used in many ways.

The models have been extracted from the game resource files with a tool called Milkshape. The file format they will be released in is Wavefront Object which can be opened by every 3D editor out there basically.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 23rd '12, 01:00

I read elsewhere that you guys are importing .obj files, is this true? If it is, I'd be happy to export what I've already got to an acceptable resolution. I've modeled about half of these already.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Feb 23rd '12, 01:07

Envy wrote:I read elsewhere that you guys are importing .obj files, is this true? If it is, I'd be happy to export what I've already got to an acceptable resolution. I've modeled about half of these already.

You mean the Marathon weaponry/items? Sure thing - AlephOne's 3D capabilities should finally be put to some actual use imho.

Btw, the items plugin is now finished and downloadable at simplici7y.

enjoy and please leave some feedback if possible [MGrin]
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 23rd '12, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 23rd '12, 02:02

Is the SPNKR supposed to be white?

Also, ammo boxes should be closed!
Last edited by treellama on Feb 23rd '12, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 23rd '12, 03:51

I am liking the 3D models. I do not mind the open lids that much and I find they make the models/ammo easier to see. Though they also detract a bit from the visibility of which type of ammo, red or yellow, I am going to pick up (Since the lids block objects behind it very easily)

I notice that the models just "pop" in when teleporting. I wonder if adding models to the teleport in sequences, perhaps with an invincibility shader attached would fix that. Though, since objects rarely teleport in during multiplayer, the likelihood of primary use of the plugin, it may not be a top issue.
Last edited by Zott on Feb 23rd '12, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Feb 23rd '12, 04:08

I've got the Health Pickups in super low resolution, with all three UV mapped onto one 256x256. They're 3 different polygroups in one .obj file, and so they would appear in 3d space properly, they're all on top of each other.

I feel like we could use strongly-colored meshes of the clips instead of boxes. I like shapes better than colors, but I'm a spatial cognition savant, so that may not be the case for everybody.
Attachments
Health_Pickups.zip
(127.11 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by envy on Feb 23rd '12, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Feb 23rd '12, 07:25

Treellama wrote:Is the SPNKR supposed to be white?

Also, ammo boxes should be closed!

Can you make a screenshot of your rocketlaunchers? They're not white on my system...

thedoctor45

Post Feb 23rd '12, 08:05

Zott wrote:I notice that the models just "pop" in when teleporting. I wonder if adding models to the teleport in sequences, perhaps with an invincibility shader attached would fix that. Though, since objects rarely teleport in during multiplayer, the likelihood of primary use of the plugin, it may not be a top issue.

Rendering a sprite teleporting in means scaling the 2D image from 0% to 100% in the horizontal dimension (plus the static effect). Scaling 3D models to get a similar effect is likely not difficult, but they'd have to be specifically programmed to do that if they aren't already.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 23rd '12, 13:35

Rocket launchers are fine here as well(pc)

Good work doctor. I will use this plugin when I play infinity.

EDIT: Johannes got a black spanker.(he's on mac)
Last edited by goran on Feb 23rd '12, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post Feb 23rd '12, 14:22

goran wrote:Rocket launchers are fine here as well(pc)

Good work doctor. I will use this plugin when I play infinity.

EDIT: Johannes got a black spanker.(he's on mac)

Funny - I've only tested this plugin with the 1.0 release of AlephOne and everything works fine here I'm on OSX too btw.

If you guys are having trouble with some of the models please post your system specs and the AO version you're using so we can evaluate.

EDIT:

Nevermind I found the bug - it's a problem with case-sensitive filenames. the SPNKR.png that is declared in the plugins mml script is upper case whereas the filename on disk is lower case - i assume this causes recognition issues with the texture file on case sensitive filesystems.

You can change the filenames yourself so that they match or wait for the 1.1 release that I'm going to publish later today.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by thedoctor45 on Feb 23rd '12, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

thedoctor45

Post Feb 23rd '12, 15:25

thedoctor45 wrote:Nevermind I found the bug - it's a problem with case-sensitive filenames. the SPNKR.png that is declared in the plugins mml script is upper case whereas the filename on disk is lower case - i assume this causes recognition issues with the texture file on case sensitive filesystems.

It will also cause issues for users who are using case insensitive filesystems, but who install the plugin without zipping it, as was the case for me. Thanks for tracking it down!
Last edited by treellama on Feb 23rd '12, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 23rd '12, 18:13

Nice work, the colors in the plugin look much better than those first screens!

I have a suggestion for the magnum. One thing that struck me as out of place is the large metal panel on the side of it, which appears to be what's keeping the scope attached. It surprised me to see it because there isn't anything in any of the original graphics that suggests such a thing. Even today, every scope I've seen has been attached to the top of a gun without the need for a panel being bolted to the side, so it seems out of place for a mass produced gun in the future to have something that seems so low tech and improvised.

My suggestion: make it more like the other side.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Feb 23rd '12, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Feb 23rd '12, 18:58

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Nice work, the colors in the plugin look much better than those first screens!

I have a suggestion for the magnum. One thing that struck me as out of place is the large metal panel on the side of it, which appears to be what's keeping the scope attached. It surprised me to see it because there isn't anything in any of the original graphics that suggests such a thing. Even today, every scope I've seen has been attached to the top of a gun without the need for a panel being bolted to the side, so it seems out of place for a mass produced gun in the future to have something that seems so low tech and improvised.

My suggestion: make it like the other side.

strange, I could swear I saw that panel in the original sprites for the magnum. The Freeverse guys obviously didn't see it either.

thedoctor45

Next

Return to Projects